Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tenebrion

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! The only thing I need now is Extra Bees so I can have one setup for every metallic bee and I can retire from mining forever! :D

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I just use the apiarist pipes with 3 per purebred hive. The first is set with items/any bees to filter the items, next is right above the hive with any bees/anything and the last is right above a chest with any bees/ anything then it feeds into a void pipe. I have a chest of pure breed drones and no over flow. can be done with diamond pipes as well by blocking up the exits on the diamond pipe with cobble or something to force them either into a chest/apiary or down the empty exit. Redpower has made us sloppy with our pipe building, its nice to be back to basics and the good ole diamond pipe.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Is a nocturnal bee only active at night, or is it tolerant of night (meaning: produces day and night).
Same for cave dwelling bees and the need to see the sky?

And another question for the need to see the sky: Only the apiary or all flowers? Usable flowers on the whole 9x9 field will increase the production, correct?

SirLanceslaught

Jul 29, 2019
1 imperial princess, 1 austere princess, 1 industrious princess, 2 diligent princesses, 2 sinister princesses, bunch of common, bunch of cultivated, loads of drones from everything. Working on breeding all the top bees :)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Is a nocturnal bee only active at night, or is it tolerant of night (meaning: produces day and night).
Same for cave dwelling bees and the need to see the sky?

And another question for the need to see the sky: Only the apiary or all flowers? Usable flowers on the whole 9x9 field will increase the production, correct?
Produces day and night, cave dwellers same either works, only the apiary needs to see the sky (and glass doesn't count as a blocker), flowers nah one is enough the bees create flowers while working, in the area. Only actual flowers though not the other "flowers".

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Produces day and night, cave dwellers same either works, only the apiary needs to see the sky (and glass doesn't count as a blocker), flowers nah one is enough the bees create flowers while working, in the area. Only actual flowers though not the other "flowers".
Thank you very much.
But about the flowers: Will the amount of flowers increase production? I mean: If the bees can only work with 20 instead of 80 flowers (maybe because rest of the space is needed for different stuff), will that affect the produce? Can multiple apiaries use the same flowers without a hit on production?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much.
But about the flowers: Will the amount of flowers increase production? I mean: If the bees can only work with 20 instead of 80 flowers (maybe because rest of the space is needed for different stuff), will that affect the produce? Can multiple apiaries use the same flowers without a hit on production?
Afaik as long as there is at least one valid flower in range to allow production, more will not increase production.
Multiple apiaries can cheerfully share a flower\flowers as well.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik as long as there is at least one valid flower in range to allow production, more will not increase production.
Multiple apiaries can cheerfully share a flower\flowers as well.
That is correct. The number of flowers doesn't affect the production rate. The only thing that will affect it is the frames (untreated, proven, etc) and an Alveary instead of the apiaries.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
That is correct. The number of flowers doesn't affect the production rate. The only thing that will affect it is the frames (untreated, proven, etc) and an Alveary instead of the apiaries.
Thanks, that helps me for the future.
But what are these frames you speak of? I've dug through the Forestry Wiki, but no info was there to be found.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Just type frame into nei. You can only make untreated and impregnated frames, the proven are bought from villagers.

They make a dramatic difference in production speed.

Also, theres a 3rd thing that affects production: The bees themselves. If your goal is production start breeding them towards fastest.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I've "liberated" several apiarist Villagers... yeah... Liberate is the word :)

The lucky part is my reset (4th trade) on 3 of them is the wood for apiary... So I have a stack or two of apiaries with nothing to do but I get all the proven frames I desire.

And my wood.. HAHAHA i have 30K-ish wood in an exo barrel, and another 26K saplings.. lol I love my farms.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Just type frame into nei. You can only make untreated and impregnated frames, the proven are bought from villagers.

They make a dramatic difference in production speed.

Also, theres a 3rd thing that affects production: The bees themselves. If your goal is production start breeding them towards fastest.
Ah, so I have to use the frames with my Apiaries/Alvearies, good to know. Maybe my honeycomb production will now exceed 0,8/queen.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so I have to use the frames with my Apiaries/Alvearies, good to know. Maybe my honeycomb production will now exceed 0,8/queen.
They can't be used in an Alveary. The frames were added as a way to nerf apiaries on servers. Basically, apiaries had their productions reduced by 50% (someone correct me if the numbers are wrong), but with frames, they get closer to what they used to be pre-nerf. Untreated -> Impregnated -> Proven. Each level improving the production by some % more than the one before it. As mentioned, Proven are only from villagers. Alvearies on the other hand, function as if they have better than Proven Frames already integrated.

Nari7777

Jul 29, 2019
Let me ask something:

I saw an item int he NEI, that called Ice Shard, one of the components to make crushed ice. This item is from Forestry, and somewhere on minecraft.net forums i saw some comments that said this is from some of the Frozen Branch Bees, called Glacial Bees (i saw another alternative name for these bees too). Is this some myth, or are they real? And if they real, whats the combination?

(sorry for my english)

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Let me ask something:

I saw an item int he NEI, that called Ice Shard, one of the components to make crushed ice. This item is from Forestry, and somewhere on minecraft.net forums i saw some comments that said this is from some of the Frozen Branch Bees, called Glacial Bees (i saw another alternative name for these bees too). Is this some myth, or are they real? And if they real, whats the combination?

(sorry for my english)
A wintry bee bred with a... I forgot, but I think its extra bees.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Its probably from wintry combs produced by wintry bees. You get them in white hives you find in tundras, centrifuge the combs.

Josh

Jul 29, 2019
So once you have A pure strain Say Imperial as an example. How do you breed in better traits (Say nocturnal or Longer life span) without losing purity: in normal bees? With Extra bees if there is a difference?

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
I would just breed in the drone with the good traits, and then put in some pure drones. Repeat until you get the traits you want.