BC to RF power conversion?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
in DW20 164 I tried powering a pulverizer with a sterling engine unsuccessfully. Now that I have aspirations for a RC boiler, what is necessary for it to power TE machines?[DOUBLEPOST=1387565824][/DOUBLEPOST]is it just make sure everything is connected to a conduit and not right next to it or a power cell?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
You can use the TE steam dynamos on a boiler.

And TE conduits will only convert one-way, from RF to MJ, so you need TE dynamos to power anything else in the mod. Ender IO conduit is the only thing I've used that converts RF to MJ both ways (UE cable might, haven't tried it)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
you can't use BC engines to make RF, but you CAN use BC fuels inside dynamos. Coal/charcoal, oil, fuel, biofuel, and steam can used in the appropriate dynamo

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
interesting wrinkle... that changes alot... I don't want to do steam, because each steam engine is a cookie monster to your on hand copper. This divergence is going to take a bit of time to figure out before moving forward...

up to 1.5 I have tried all the systems and found a MFR tree farm, to coal straight to a boiler to the machines was the easiest build and forget method for large minecraft joules to drive your processing operations. If you follow that same pattern, how have you adjusted your setup?

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
interesting wrinkle... that changes alot... I don't want to do steam, because each steam engine is a cookie monster to your on hand copper. This divergence is going to take a bit of time to figure out before moving forward...

up to 1.5 I have tried all the systems and found a MFR tree farm, to coal straight to a boiler to the machines was the easiest build and forget method for large minecraft joules to drive your processing operations. If you follow that same pattern, how have you adjusted your setup?

There is a ton of copper in 1.6.4 dw20, and nothing to spend it on outside of IC2 and TE. The reason people are often low on copper early game is because they're manually mining down around 10-13 where there is little or no copper. Put up a quarry and you get almost as much copper in the upper layers as you get iron for the entire quarry.

I did mfr jungle wood to charcoal to steam oven to steam boiler a couple weeks back, still works fine. If you're going to heat up on charcoal you need an awful lot stockpiled before starting but once it gets up to temp the tree farm produces more than enough wood. Railcraft added a heatstone for quickly warming up boilers, I need to make one. Looks like fun. ;) Update: Reading in another thread it looks like those high startup costs for boilers are a thing of the past. Heatstone no longer worth the effort, but might be worth it for novelty.

I have one running now just for oak and it is standard MFR tree farm with two TE Combustion dynamos and one TE furnace. It is producing excess charcoal, wood, and saplings, it filled up double-barrels of each in a day or two and I've gone back and replaced the barrels with DSUs now that I have 30+ enderlilies. When using the new TE conduit be careful with the various tiers as the it is very easy to bottleneck yourself with leadstone and hardened conduits. One magmatic dynamo maxes out leadstone conduit, for example.

That said I'm loving the tiered approach to the utility components in new version of TE. Having access to the same functionality in cheaper/smaller capacities is great for the early game. Particularly liking having early portable tanks. Always had great functionality but now you don't need the full TE processing chain to get lower capacity versions.

Magmatic dynamo also works just fine with an ender-thermic pump. I've got this rigged up using ender tanks---they were easier to build than tesseracts when i set this up---for auxiliary powergen and my quarries. Was sorting on site, put in a tesseract once I had an AE system going back at the main base.

Example:

juoFtzS.jpg

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
These are the things that will devour your copper:
IC2
TE
Forestry (yes, I'm going to do atleast bees lol)
MPS
It might go a bit easier with using forestry's bronze recipie though...

maybe I'm wrong but the newest version of 1.7 dw has each of the dynamos giving a max of 80FR's. So its not like before where the different engines have different stats which is cool.[DOUBLEPOST=1387579108][/DOUBLEPOST]not saying it is a typo but how are you running a combusion dynamo from charcoal or saplings?

LOL I haven't seen these ender lilies, but it doesn't matter as I loot the end regularly now.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any practical reason to spend copper on IC2 or MPS in dw20 1.6.4. So neither of those will devour my copper. Even if I do end up making a MPS for special cases that is a fixed cost. One max-sized quarry will provide more than enough copper and iron for the suit.

Forestry doesn't need that much copper, even when doing bees. Also fixed cost. And your bees can supplement your copper production if you have extrabees, right?

I don't really see a shortage of any metal at this point, even if I go crazy with factorization mirrors it would appear that there is more silver than in 1.5.x.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the dynamos on the tiny oak farm are steam.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss