BC Quarry vs IC Miner ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Started my new world (MindCrack edition) and was fortunate enough to stumble over a good quantity of diamonds in my first deep exploration.

My first thought was to create a BC Quarry, but given its early in the world is there any point - when a Miner will quickly pull all the valuable ores I need right now. Aside from a ton of cobble (useful for building or recycling later on, of course) is the Miner a better choice early on? Once I hit some lava and pumped it up to a GT generator, I felt off to a good start.

Pros and Cons anyone?

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
well, quarry makes big big holes and gathers lots of junk but if you set it up right it's kinda a fire and forget thing for quite some time. though, in the current buildcraft, quarries can be very fast with enough power.
miner is far more selective, so it's faster. but you'll have to move it around quite a lot, can be kind of a drag to move your power lines too. also, i've read in another thread that its current config doesn't get all ores.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I thought of writing a turtle program for this case. Setup Miner, let it run and then pack everything up. Problem with the Miner is water/lava..you need to supply cells.
So while i like the miner more than the quarry, the quarry is much easier to use.

Harro

Jul 29, 2019
Mining turtle excavate program with an obsidian pipe (or hungry chest from tc3 if you have it) to suck up the items.

You can get it way easier and earlier then any other mining option imho.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I love the miner, so biased here :p

Turtle is pretty cheap, but i think way overpowered at the moment. Fuel cost is is too minor and no usage cost.

Miner recipe is unchanged in gregtech. Machine block can still be made of refined iron and everything else is the same.

I am currently working on an idea to use redpower frames to move miners rather than packup and move them.

Miner's valuable ore list gets almost everything. Missing thaumcraft, xycraft, traincraft, and modular forcefield ores out of the box.
Some say it is good thaumcraft ores are ignored... i have no clue how to play that mod, so adjust at your discretion:

here is the line that needs to be updated in IC2.cfg:
S:valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3, 129:5, 200:1, 220:1, 221:1, 246:1, 247:1, 688:1

I don't play on servers, but heard the value used by the miner is tied to the client.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-miner-missing-valuable-ores.4696/#post-57550

Completed step 1 to a mobile IC2 miner- frame movement:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...frames-horizontal-and-vertical-movement.4970/

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Miner recipe is unchanged in gregtech, but the "drillbit" now requires steel.

Also, I heard, but have not yet confirmed, that the newer IC2 pulls the ore list from the dictionary, so the config file only needs non-ore type items you want.

Hint: One trick if you have a pump attached (you should!) is to add lava to the list.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I dont usually attach a pump because use the Miner to sink wells looking for a source of lava ... and I want it to stop when it hits the surface of a lava lake. (tracking the number of mining pipes used is an easy guide to whether you hit bedrock or not)

The additional resources, with say a scanner attached are a cool bonus, but I will try out your idea. thanks

Darwinium

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of using frames ton move miners. And also. "Some say its good Thaumcraft ores are ignored." Go tell those "Some" I don't like them.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
I would far prefer the IC2 miner if it had a larger ranges. 9x9 is pretty dang tiny compared to the quarry's 64x64. :/

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah but when using a Quarry you get a ton of cobblestone while the Miner only excavates the ores (unless I'm mistaken on this). And the quarry creates a pretty huge mess, the Miner is more "elegant".

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of using frames ton move miners. And also. "Some say its good Thaumcraft ores are ignored." Go tell those "Some" I don't like them.
The Infused Stone is the only thing that is making your Aura look like it's renewable. Extensive use of Thaumcraft winds up burning through a lot of those ores to replenish the Aura, and if you've managed to use a Miner to collect all the Infused Ore around your base, you'll start running low on Vis much sooner than usual. This ceases being a problem once you have a great deal of Crystal Clusters, but those are the second most expensive thing to produce in the current version of Thaumcraft. Funny thing, conservation of Thaumcraft ores being important to being a thaumaturge.

Draradech

Jul 29, 2019
I use a self-made turtle program together with a world anchor. It ignores and re-places a variable number of materials (I use clean stone, cobble stone, dirt and gravel). Everything else in its radius (max 21 because of world anchor - that is a 43x43) is brought up into a gold chest. Top and bottom mining level is configurable for example 60 to 0). It will dig downward shafts in an optimal pattern an check the sides for not ignored materials and mine them. On its way up, unwanted materials will be placed down. It refuels with the coal it finds on its way.

It is slow (about 24 hours for 43x60x43) but low-maintainance. Set up, return a day later and collect.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
I would far prefer the IC2 miner if it had a larger ranges. 9x9 is pretty dang tiny compared to the quarry's 64x64. :/
Put them on a RP2 frame. My test world has a prototype that's fully automated. Absurdly complicated at the moment, though. If only there was a BC gate signal for "Miner done"...

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries auto-load the needed chunks, but with a world anchor you can solve that minor (pun intended) issue.
I start quarries around level 50 to save on MJ costs, and stop ugly holes from showing.
At the relatively cheap cost of a miner, why limit yourself to just 1?
The scanner required in the miner is extremely useful as well, so you can avoid mining in areas with little ore.
Before the redstone energy cells, I would've told you it is also easier to power a miner.

Would be awesome to setup a turtle to use that scanner, run around the map marking areas with high ore count with say a wrath lamp / glowstone.

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Put them on a RP2 frame. My test world has a prototype that's fully automated. Absurdly complicated at the moment, though. If only there was a BC gate signal for "Miner done"...

Does the miner stop drawing eu once it is done? If so there's a detector cable for when EU is passing through through to emit a redstone signal.

Dvidan

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you check if the miners inventory is full with BC gates?

heavy1metal

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you check if the miners inventory is full with BC gates?

You won't always use all the pipe if it hits lava assuming he doesn't have a pump attached.
Somebody mentioned the concern of a pump requiring cells, a liquid transposer and a void-pipe would solve that, just recycle the cells.