Battery boxes in RP2

UncleGeorge

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! I'm slowly trying to grasp how Blutricity works and I had questions about the battery boxes. The thing is, I'm not sure how to actually set them up, should I be putting a bunch of them or only keep one? Should they be right next to the generator or right next to the production? (I'd like to connect Blulectric Engine to a Redstone Energy Cell) Because my main "production" facility is fairly far away from my windmill and solar panel, I know the new cable allow the current to travel longer distance but is there a downside to convert the voltage up and down this way? I hope someone can clear up some of those questions! :)

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Put a battery box close to your generating station. Put a transformer and 10kv cable to your production facility and another transformer and another battery box. Ramp up your battery boxes as needed on each end, also all RP2 machines pass power through them

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Would only serve to store more energy. Blutricity balances itself along all connected items, so the more batteries you have the more stored voltage you have. But if you have to many it will take too long to recharge them. In most applications a few batteries will power most RP2 machines....unless you go nuts and build a ton of furnaces or something.

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
Blulectric engines will sap your energy reserves like its going out of style though.

UncleGeorge

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I'm trying to use Blulectric Engine instead of combustion engine ( they always blow up on me on Tekkit so I'm not too fond of them ) to run my Pulverizer and Furnace... Is it a viable solution? :eek:

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
It puts out an insane amount of energy..try a couple magmatic engines or two hobbyist steam engines. That is my normal early game setup. Bonus of the magmatic, they don't explode..just stop running, hit them with a buildcraft wrench to start em back up

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I'm trying to use Blulectric Engine instead of combustion engine ( they always blow up on me on Tekkit so I'm not too fond of them ) to run my Pulverizer and Furnace... Is it a viable solution? :eek:
For a steady supply of 4MJ from a blulectric engine you would need 2 - 3 windturbines on an average day. They fluctuate from day to day because of wind speeds.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In a word: no.

Here are some options:

* Steam Engines. Either use the TE Steam Engine or a Hobbyist Steam Engine from Railcraft. The latter is more fuel efficient over the longer term while the former initially outputs more energy (at least until you get a steam boiler going).
* Magmatic Engines. 4 MJ/t is pretty good, and it only needs lava to run
*Biogas Engines. Runs on biomass, which can be produced in a Fermentor. Takes a bit of infrastructure setup, but can produce quite a bit of power that way
*Combustion Engines. Put an Aqueous Accumulator directly adjacent to it with a couple of source blocks next to it and never worry about explosions again.

Of course, there's also steam, but that requires a LOT of infrastructure, and probably isn't worth it for remote projects unless you feel like running a lot of liquiduct pipes.

UncleGeorge

Jul 29, 2019
Ouch, that's a lot more than I was expecting just for 4MJ... I want to have a fully automated processing/sorting machine where everything coming out of a quarry and a "drop all you got" chest is sent through the pulverizer/furnace/extractor/compressor and sent back in the sorting system that put everything in specific chest, I don't think an engine that I need to whack every once in a while would be good for that.. =/
Steam engine look interesting, I'm not sure I have enough place in my "factory" building for a huge setup but I guess the basement can be retrofit if needed, I don't know what liquiduct pipes are though XD

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Ouch, that's a lot more than I was expecting just for 4MJ... I want to have a fully automated processing/sorting machine where everything coming out of a quarry and a "drop all you got" chest is sent through the pulverizer/furnace/extractor/compressor and sent back in the sorting system that put everything in specific chest, I don't think an engine that I need to whack every once in a while would be good for that.. =/
Steam engine look interesting, I'm not sure I have enough place in my "factory" building for a huge setup but I guess the basement can be retrofit if needed, I don't know what liquiduct pipes are though XD

You only have to whack TE engines if you have them directly connected and they overheat. If they are attached to Redstone Energy Conduit, they instead drop their power output to low levels, reducing how much you waste.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
You can also attach the engines to the RE Cell without a conduit in between. It will still drop power output, but not have the 5% loss of the conduits.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You can also attach the engines to the RE Cell without a conduit in between. It will still drop power output, but not have the 5% loss of the conduits.
Actually since I tested them on the Minecrack pack v6 the actual rate is 5.27% rounded up since I set a full redstone energy cell and on the other end one with 2 conduits and another with 30 conduits to verify they don't lose power over distances a empty redstone energy cell that's only fulls to 569999 not the expected 570000. You could uses them as lose less MJ power but they're expensive and can only accept 100 MJ/t as input and output so I would goes for that if your's after effectively of your power grids, and hay you have a backup battery system at the same time!

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/a-players-guide-to-redpower-2-blutricity.6363/ There's your blutricity primer, but as said above, not a good replacement for proper buildcraft energy (although the windmills look amazing).
Regarding liquiducts, they're TE's upgrade from buildcraft waterproof pipes. They are far superior, and you should definitely use them as soon as your resources allow.