batbox not enough?

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Hello

I have my workshop setup to pretty much only use LV voltage (eu power) so far.
Tho i have a MSFU at my power station, then i direct convert it down to LV and then connect it to batboxes and machines around my house etc.

I have a quarry quite close to my house.
It is being runned by two electric engines.
Right beside my engines i have a batbox.

I have noticed that my MFSU is full
But my batbox at the engine is almost empty and the engines are struggeling to work
Why is this?
Is this because i lose so much energy on the transport from MFSU to the batbox that it is not enough to run fill it up and run the engines? It is about 20 blocks between them (MFSU and batbox).

Thanks

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of cabling are you using to transport power to your quarry? Fiber glass cable has a energy loss of 1UE per 40 blocks so that would be best for your situation. If that is a little expensive for you you can place transformers or energy storage blocks, such as the batbox, along the way to prevent cable loss. The amount of space between those blocks depends on the cable used though.

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
Copper cable loses 1EU per 5 blocks so do some simple math and you will find you are losing about 4 EU per packet heading to your quarry. With the maximum packet size of Copper being 32, your batbox is receiving 28 per packet. The number of packets going down the line will determine overall EU/tick but I dont know enough of your system to tell you that information. Anyways a unaltered electrical engine uses 6 EU/t times 2 is 12 EU/t. The batbox should have no issues keeping up with the engines. I recommend you check to see if there is something else sucking up all that power. It would probably be best if you place a second line off the MV transformer that is comes off the MFSU, add a LV transformer off of that line and have a dedicated energy line for your quarry.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
http://prntscr.com/sm5q7
this is my power station

this is my wires
http://prntscr.com/sm7b6

everything is copper wire (except some stuff at power station)

as you can see by the drawing i have several batboxes placed
no more than 20 blocks between them.
no machines are running
batbox 2, 3, 4 are empty and not filling up
batbox 5 is full

MFSU is full
batbox at powerstation is full

when i use a EU-meter at the power station first copper wire out from batbox
i get this result
http://prntscr.com/sm7r3

when i do the same at copper cable one block before batbox 2
i get this result
http://prntscr.com/sm7v2

when i do the same at copper cable one block before batbox 3
i get this result
http://prntscr.com/sm80c

when i do the same at copper cable one block before batbox 4
i get this result
http://prntscr.com/sm83s

help me find the error
i cant see what it is?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You're losing a LOT of power with all the copper cabling running over such long distance. You're better off having your electric engines at 'home' and using energy conduits to transport that energy to your quarries. I also don't know what you're using to generate power but quarries need a lot.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
my suggestion would be to use more glass fibre cabling and MV to a LV transformer instead of LV from batbox to batbox as a batbox can only output 32 eu/t or in otherwords the max output from you powerstation is 32eu/t, skipping the first batbox will multiply the output immensely

this is because the transformers just group or split the packets to fit the line size

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
um im really confused... what pipes to use to transfeer engine power?

conductive pipes?
or
redstone energy conduit?

what i can see they do the same thing???[DOUBLEPOST=1360782966][/DOUBLEPOST]
my suggestion would be to use more glass fibre cabling and MV to a LV transformer instead of LV from batbox to batbox as a batbox can only output 32 eu/t or in otherwords the max output from you powerstation is 32eu/t, skipping the first batbox will multiply the output immensely

this is because the transformers just group or split the packets to fit the line size

but a batbox will explode if get more than 32 eu?

do you mean i should remove my batboxes and replace them with LV transformers instead.
so that the powerstation send out MV and then gets lowerd just before the machines/quarry?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
it will explode if it gets a packet of more than 32 EU, LV transformers only output packets of 32 EU but will output 4 of them each time it gets a packet of 128 in the input side

but per tick more than 1 packet may be recieved

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
ok so you mean i should remove first batbox so power station send out MV
then ad a LV transformer at the second batbox instead.

but all i see this do is that i just shorten the distance by 20 blocks that 32 eu needs to travel.

will it really make a big difference?

also regarding the option of using pipes to transport power from electric engines
what pipes?
i have two options and i cant see the difference?

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
What you use to transfer buildcraft energy depends on your situation. If you have the infrastructure I would suggest you use redstone conduits as they dont have a chance of exploding like the conductive pipes.

As for your energy set up running your power from batbox to batbox blocks a lot of your energy flow. Your batboxes should be placed next to the primary power cables and not in line with them. The first batbox needs to be removed. When you step down 512 EU (HV) to MV you will create 4 128 Eu packets and when further stepped down, you create 4 32 Eu packets per 128 packet. The first batbox will fill up rapidly but only discharges 32 Eu/t so it is acting as a throttle on your system by preventing the other packets from proceeding.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
yes but if i remove batbox 1
the next batbox on the line will just act as a throttle then....
and everything after it will be the same as it is now
so how does it help me?[DOUBLEPOST=1360786508][/DOUBLEPOST]it might just be easier to create a bunch of Transformer Upgrade
this will let my machines run on HV
and the electric engines can handle HV directly
so all i need is wires to transport HV or maybe downgrade it to MV to be less expensive.....

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
You really should move the energy at the higher voltages in the first place as it tends to be more efficient. As for making transformer upgrades for all your machines, here is a suggestion. Move your transformers to a location near your machines and step down the voltage at the location its needed rather than at the source a.k.a. your power station. This way you will not have to waste resources making 2 upgrades per machine and you lower the risk of blowing up future machines by plugging them directly into a HV line.

Also in order to stop the throttling effect your batboxes are causing move them next to the cable rather than have them in line with the cable. This will cause more energy loss per packet but you can send more packets along the line.

Best solution really is to use glass fibre cables to move your energy long distances. Move it in HV packets of 512 Eu and then use transformers to step it down at the places it is need, such as your factory, any miners you may be using and what ever else you may use it for. Lastly dont place too many things in line with the primary cable. Place items such as energy storage or transformers next to it and this will prevent any unwanted throttling of the cable. If you want to run the line without loses then use a transformer of the same voltage, if your running 512 Eu down the line use a HV transformer, and place it in line with the cable this will allow the packet size to remain the same and reset the cable length count preventing any loses.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
thanks allot
i think i solved the most acute problem atleast

i pretty much removed all my batboxes that was on the straight line

so now i have a power station that convert HV to MV and then a gold cable down to my workshop where it is converted from MV to LV

from the LV converter to a batbox for the workshop and then machines
and from the LV converter to my tunnel towards my quarry where i have set some LV transformers on the long cable, with a batbox two blox besides the cable to be a buffer on the way.

does that sound alright?

future plans is to replace gold wire with Glass wire
so i can drag HV direct into workshop and convert down to whatever is needed for the workplace and keep sending HV or possible MV toward quarry.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
if you cant get your head around cabling & power loss, just make some solar panels, anything over the basic ones will work fine & can be connected to the engines directly, really you should do some research on what some of the major mods like IC2 & BC do & how they interact, so google vids or make a test world & test your self as most of us do, lot of it is just logical thinking anyway, like cheap cables would be only useful over short distance with very expensive version would have far better results over long distance, & to the above ppl replies with tec type answers that form the original question seems a little to be going over the guys head, try remember not every one has your amount of mod knowledge, there are times when it better to tailer the answer to the skill lvl hinted at in the original question.

anyway bud its easy to learn all this just at start you can get a little over whelmed with all the mods in each pack, take small steps & you will find it easy, & your skill lvl will rise much faster.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you aren't playing SMP... Those daisy chain setups supposedly cause a lot of unnecessary strain on the server. Something about too many packets and junk.
A few servers I've been on have banned people for such setups. Not

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
EngineEngineEngineEngineMachine

Engines lined up in a row.
Well technically it means a row of connected units of any one thing in RL and FTB. In this case I mean he's daisy chaining his bat boxes to get around EU dissipation in copper cables. Which works to an extent but is frowned upon by SMP server hosts due to the excess strain it places on servers. I used to frequent a Tekkit server that banned such setups due to the lag it apparently causes.