Base Defense + Protection and your setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

firstwaswhen

Jul 29, 2019
Well I've been messing with Advanced Genetics.
I have the genes fly, breathe in water, shoot fireballs, speed, high jump, and one of the best is scaring creepers. They now run away from me so I don't have to worry about them sneaking up on me in the base. The fireballs also help to kill mobs and enemies. Aside from personal powers we usually make sure everywhere is lit well so no mobs spawn, along with placing doors that link the outside of the base to the inside of course. I have messed with MFFS. The force field was actually pretty awesome. Seemed a little buggy though, either that or I was doing something wrong. :p

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised nobody uses Modular Force Field System? I've never used it but I'm thinking about giving it a try. At least it would look cool, right?

I made a post the other day here, it was questions about lighting up your base... but lighting goes hand-in-hand with base defense, since that's really the entire point of lighting up your base.

For now, I'm using a magnum torch, but I just learned the range was reduced from 64 blocks horizontal to 32 blocks, so I need to use a few of em which is why I'm now debating whether or not to learn MFFS and put up a big impenetrable shell over my base to keep mobs out.
MFFS is very expensive, you mostly need a lot of power and steel.[DOUBLEPOST=1398288289][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well I've been messing with Advanced Genetics.
I have the genes fly, breathe in water, shoot fireballs, speed, high jump, and one of the best is scaring creepers. They now run away from me so I don't have to worry about them sneaking up on me in the base. The fireballs also help to kill mobs and enemies. Aside from personal powers we usually make sure everywhere is lit well so no mobs spawn, along with placing doors that link the outside of the base to the inside of course. I have messed with MFFS. The force field was actually pretty awesome. Seemed a little buggy though, either that or I was doing something wrong. :p
I was going that route with Adv Genetics but when I died, I found that I lost my abilities...:(

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I don't defend my base, I am my base. Only a fearless lunatic would attack someone wearing fully maxed out power armor and various weapons that deal absurd amounts of damage and/or ignore armor. My energy reserves are borderline silly so I have lightening summoner module in my power glove. If that doesn't make someone think twice I start running.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
MFFS is very expensive, you mostly need a lot of power and steel.[DOUBLEPOST=1398288289][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was going that route with Adv Genetics but when I died, I found that I lost my abilities...:(
Take a sryringe of your own DNA after adding the genes you want, keep it in a chest. Problem solved?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I don't defend my base, I am my base. Only a fearless lunatic would attack someone wearing fully maxed out power armor and various weapons that deal absurd amounts of damage and/or ignore armor. My energy reserves are borderline silly so I have lightening summoner module in my power glove. If that doesn't make someone think twice I start running.
MPS is still great even after all those new armor options newer mods introduces.

And I spam bane torches around my base. No need to defend when mobs just go poof.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I tried out this monster pack the other day on my PC and enabled all of these mob / creature mods...
Has anyone else done this? It's absolutely scary!

As for me, Magnum torch... MFR farms have fences around them, but my infrastructure is largely underground. I now am addicted to 9 x 9 buildings...

If you have Thaumcraft installed, then the Arcane Lamp is absolutely brilliant, they illuminate in a large area around them in a sphere, so even underground rooms are lit up by them. A single Arcane lamp can keep mobs from spawning in a large area, even underground rooms not directly lit by anything.

Arcane Lamps + Magnum Torch means you're base is pretty safe from mobs.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Early game, I spam my first stack o' torches around my fenced-in area. Once I realized zombies are insane in 1.6.4 , its more like 3 stacks...which is not ideal. My current base is lit up by torches for huge radius and sometimes I still get a zombie at my gates. My old method doesnt work so well anymore. Im thinking next time I will just live underground until I have an arcane lamp or three. One funny trick I played on them zombies is imprisoning a villager on a high ledge with some grinders underneath. Zombies swarm around him like flies LOL.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
If i play in a server (pvp has to be enabled for me to play on a server, i really love to raid and to be raided) i usually start with a MFFS forcefield protecting the core of my base (ME system, bed and control panel) powered by mekanism hidrogen generator so no one waits until i run out of juice to attack. Then I surround my base with little boxes of warded stone, with an icbm turret inside, that way the turret can fire but the players can't reach it to mine it. Then I have a player detector, as soon as any player but me enters my base (made it with lua) a bunch of Strenght III Speed III Invisible Zombies with diamond Sharpness V swords (remember to give them a hat or they will burn in day light) and Invisible skeletons with power bows (I don't know which level, I just found a skeleton that made a ton of damage and multiplied him) and Resistance III, are released from their MFR safari nets, to pawn anyone who dares to get inside my base after being shot by 5+ turrets.

Also, if you use ICBM, remember that there are EMP missiles, you need to put anti-missile protection to defend against such things destroying your forcefield. You can also protect it with warded stone.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I would build a small 5x5 area with a ladder going up to my main floor. The 5x5 area would be a trapdoor and glass all around so I can see what's outside before I go. Beat stuff through trap door if need be.

Are you playing blood and bones? It get's a LOT more serious as to defenses in that pack.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I would build a small 5x5 area with a ladder going up to my main floor. The 5x5 area would be a trapdoor and glass all around so I can see what's outside before I go. Beat stuff through trap door if need be.

Are you playing blood and bones? It get's a LOT more serious as to defenses in that pack.
Nope; I'm on Monster, though I know BnB is supposed to be very good in terms of a survival modpack!
I'm planning on using my own public modpack in about a month; so, that will be fun.... *worried face*

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think its really stupid that MFFS's power consumption makes it inefficient for guarding your base which is what forcefields are for.

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
My current base is still under development but I'm thinking of having a T5 Blood Alter at ground level and 4 separate ways up (most likely elevators) to a home on stilts above the alter for some rooms, probably going to put magical stuff up there.

My current plan for defense of this area is I'm going to see about nestling Witchery Circle Magic underground, I forget off hand the name of the Rite but its the one that prevents monsters from entering the area. Presuming I do enough with the Alters that will power them I won't have to worry about the circles ever turning off. I've been doing a very magical based playthrough this time... Its been fun so far.