Base Defense + Protection and your setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Hello fellow forum-ers,

I haven't made a thread of my own for a while now so I thought I'd start with something interesting and helpful.

I want to know what your base protection and defense setup is? Turrets, Flan's, Golems, Turtles etc.
Is your setup easy to run? Is it complex, smart, simple etc.
Do you like your setup, do you use force fields?

I mainly would like to know for two reasons:
1. To share, introduce and compliment one another.
2. To help me in my survival world as I get bombarded every night by more than 30 mobs!

So, please, comment below and share!
:)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, my defense setup is trivial (block in front of my door to my cave) but when I get more tech going I have a few ideas involving MFFS and some of the RotaryCraft machines. Who knows, might even mess with getting a moving defensive platform built with MFFS.

Reactions: RealSketch

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just gonna copy Dire's and Soaryn's protection...well no. Kinda pointless in singleplayer. I think a Magnum Torch will do.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I just build underground and make sure everything it lit up.

For the most part, you are perfectly capable of creating a 100% impervious base... As far as mobs go anyways.

These are basics that you learn in vanilla MC though. I hope you have some background in MC before you came over to FTB, otherwise the learning curve is just that much more steep.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I just build underground and make sure everything it lit up.

For the most part, you are perfectly capable of creating a 100% impervious base... As far as mobs go anyways.

These are basics that you learn in vanilla MC though. I hope you have some background in MC before you came over to FTB, otherwise the learning curve is just that much more steep.
I have so much vanilla knowledge, and quite a bit on FTB, still touching up on some mods such as Reika's, Big Reactors, MFFS etc.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Defense? What, sunlight not good enough for you to solve your monster issues? Or is it creepers, hm? Creepers are easy enough to deal with if you are decent with a bow (or gun) and have ways to aim at them without exposing yourself.
Hence when I can, I use arrow slits in my base on the walls, then I shoot things from them.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Defense from what? on a PvP-like server that might mean something.

But from zombies, creepers and other mobs? ... The MOST I will do is a lava moat. But once I have Ghast tears for a magnum torch, its a moot point.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
My mobe defence is really cheap 1 stack of stick and 1 stack of coal and you can lit area around yourbase in at least 50-60 block radius and don't worry about mobs ever again. Mobs in single player are trivial. Only reson to build proper defences is for fun really or for multiplier.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Though I would enjoy building an electric fence sometime, out of un-protected HV cables that makes 1 tick pulses every second or so, hooked up to some means of power production that can sustainably make 26 eu/t.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised nobody uses Modular Force Field System? I've never used it but I'm thinking about giving it a try. At least it would look cool, right?

I made a post the other day here, it was questions about lighting up your base... but lighting goes hand-in-hand with base defense, since that's really the entire point of lighting up your base.

For now, I'm using a magnum torch, but I just learned the range was reduced from 64 blocks horizontal to 32 blocks, so I need to use a few of em which is why I'm now debating whether or not to learn MFFS and put up a big impenetrable shell over my base to keep mobs out.