Backups and Saves

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
This is specific, possibly, to Creeperhost. Just had a question about backing up a world and wondered if anyone might know how it works.

If I set up backups to run daily, do I also need to set up some sort of autosave? I had forgotten to pay our invoice and the server was shut off. I paid it 4 hours later, and our world had rolled back 3-4 days. When i created a ticket, one Rep said that it was 'strange, it is as if your world did not save during backups, can i set up an autosave for you?' and another rep said 'if you dont shut down the server, it wont save and a backup will not record what has changed since the last shut down or restart, so you need to force Save the world to make sure backups capture all changes made to the world.'

Just trying to understand how these things work for future reference. Do backups typically not save the world and THEN backup? Without knowing unix/linux, it doesnt appear to be easy to set up automated 'cron' commands, etc. to auto save the world. Would i want to reboot daily to ensure the world was saved? Is there a cheatsheet somewhere of how to set up this 'crontab' task scheduler? Any tips are appreciated.

potop999

Jul 29, 2019
World gets saved when you stop the server, or when you do a /save-all. Normally you should be able to set up an automated job to do save-all every x mins. Else, if the server crashes, you'll roll back to the last save. Since it only saves when you stop the server properly.

You'll have to contact creeperhost though on how to do this with their web panel.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
They set it up for me, but I wont know how to do it if I move hosts. ;) What made me curious is that one rep said 'its strange that your world didnt save during backup' and then another rep said it was how things should work. Thanks for replying.