Automating the Forestry Moistener

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone found a configuration to make the Moistener work with Applied Energistics?

Option 1)

Two ME exports, one exporting wheat to a router set to export to slot 0, one to the top of the moistener inserting seeds or cobblestone. ME import on the side.

Option 2)

ME Interface with 2 wheat being exported, Clay Golem set to "exact amount" of wheat and an appropriate marker next to the interface. Either BC pipe pulling from the interface for seeds/cobble (with some Gate logic to stop overflows) or just a ME Export direct on top doing it. Similarly either BC pipe pulling from the moistener (any side, even top) to the interface, or a ME import.

I actually did option 2. Option 1 has the advantage that the same basic setup (with more routers) will work with carpenters, squeezers (doing sand+phosphor) and other similar devices. All while having less moving parts and generally being objectively "cleaner". Option 2 uses less quartz (especially using BC pipes to and from the interface for seeds/mycelium)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
wow way to make it complicated lol

It uses 2 quartz. Total. That was important at the time. When saving quartz was no longer important, I wasn't going to rip it down and rebuild it. I did rip it down when I moved buildings, but never set it back up. Also stopped making biomass, so still have thousands of mulch too.

ME Interface + BC Pipes works very well for all sorts of things.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Ha! After tons of messing around in my test world I finally found a way to make this work. The moistener works better in the dark...not exactly true. Only the top side of the moistener detects light. So if you put a non light emitting block on top of the moistener it will always run at full speed. ME wires/imports/exports all emit a bit of light so the moisteners could barely run, if at all. A BC hopper seems to be transparent so light can pass through it. The igneous extruder emits light when it is working. The RP2 relay does not emit light, and it blocks light. So I stick a RP2 relay on top of each moistener then you can fill it with seeds/cobble/stone bricks as you choose, load wheat in the front, water in the back and pull mulch/mossy/etc. out the bottom. Done! Using this setup I can place the moisteners in rows as my need for mulch rises. Now I think I'm finally ready to get my biofuel process fully automated.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem with using RP2 though is it's not going to be in the 1.5 beta packs for a little while at least (unless Elo does her magic and finishes it much quicker than we anticipate).

The light level thing was actually one of the reasons I turned to the use of routers, though I did forget to mention another router to handle cobble and seeds in the above post. All you need is water going into the moisteners from the bottom and a cover on top and have the routers handle everything else for a fairly compact setup that runs at full speed. To be fair, 3 moisteners would probably produce more mulch than any single person would really need and then some, but the managers make for an easily expandable system that only would require more moisteners and liquiducts/aqeous accumulators and a bit of cobble to cover it to expand.

Of course, the other reason for choosing routers is so you don't have a massive amount of entities traveling through pipes so for lower end systems and servers it's a plus.