Automatic Coke Oven ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AltaHMano

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

How do i automate a coke oven? My problem is that the coal i want to pump into it, drops down when the inventory is full. I've tried to use gates onto my wooden pipe, but it doesnt seem to work.

Any help? A video tutorial would be the greatest!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Cubstep12

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Coal input is through the top. Use an iron pipe to "bounce" the excess coal back up-stream. Item Tesseracts are one of the best options. Especially if you build 30 coke ovens to run a 36HP boiler on creosote oil. You will need a wither skeleton spawner or two to get enough coal though. You can also run 4 more solid fueled 36HPs with those 30 ovens.

Coke and creosote oil outputs to the sides.

IMarv

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
srsly... don't use BC item pipes on that kind of thing :)

Red power tubes would work wonders. Railcraft item loaders and unloaders would also work. Applied energistics importers and exporters would also work. I don't know if golems would work but I suspect they would.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
You could also stick an Autarchic Gate to control when the release of coal is. If that doesn't work then slap a relay on it. Golems would also work well.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft pipes will work perfectly fine with a loopback.

But don't use an iron pipe for that, because it'll screw up the repathing mechanic.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I strongly suggest telling your neighbors you are making sugar. Just keep the noise down and don't sell out of your house...hmmm...oh that coke. Umm >.>;;;; <.<;;;;

Only thing I use BC pipes for on my coal oven is for the oil. I don't mind feeding it coal by hand. though I may work on moving the coal coke into my blast furnace automaticly.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
I strongly suggest telling your neighbors you are making sugar. Just keep the noise down and don't sell out of your house...hmmm...oh that coke.
I add Plugins for Forestry to my pack, and one of the additions is sugar coke: https://github.com/denoflionsx/PluginsForForestry/wiki/Sugar-Coke It's renewable with enough setup and a decent sized reed farm.

Back on topic: While I realize it isn't always the most efficient policy, I prefer to use each mod's methods for gathering/collecting items from their machines. I use minecart trains and item loaders/unloaders for my coke ovens. The minecarts pick up sugar charcoal from a central resource hub and deliver creosote oil and sugar coke to the hub.

Ciaro

Jul 29, 2019
Using gates you can pump out one side and pump in with condition of low fuel. Never over loads. Use a chest as a buffer. Cheap and relatively lag free versus loopbacks.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I usually use 2 Redpower retrievers to control loads and loads of coke ovens with a simple loop to send excess back to storage.

I typed this up over and over and deleted the text, no matter how much detail I put it sounds massively complicated when it isn't. I might throw up a video on this tomorrow and show you all the different ways you can automate coke ovens and blast furnaces with all the Ultimate mods.

AltaHMano

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, so many replies - epic! Thanks to all of you.
Since there are so many replies, i wont answer all of them, but i very appreciate every post.

Im looking forward to a possible tutorial video which would really help me out, but i will try out all other advices.
Im quite new to ftb and play on a duo world with a friend, where we are not that experienced and rich in resources.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics can do this quite elegantly. An export bus in redstone-on mode and a level emitter also work amazingly well. You can keep processing coal coke until you have a minimum level of coal coke. The setup I have (well had, tore it down moving my base) actually use a liquid detector to keep the system maintaining a minimum level of coal coke or a minimum level of creosote oil using an RP2 or gate, wireless restone and a xycraft liquid detector alongside the level emitter.

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I just have a system that uses coal from my 9 either skele shards (I have 13 skele spawners in the nether ;D). It is put into an ender chest. I have one of each of these ender chests 1 block under each with an wood pipe to pull from the ender chest when fuel is low with an autarchic gate. I then I have an emerald pipe to pull only coal coke into my system. The liquid situation is simple, just pump it all to my primary liquid system to be dealt with later in either my boilers or to be used to make rails

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
My new 32 Coke Oven Mega Oven:
2013-04-20_12_46_03.png

There are liquiducts to a tesseract inside for the creosote oil and import and export buses to move the coal and coke.

2013-04-20_13_03_01.png

This will power 5 36HP boilers. 1 on creosote and 4 on coal coke.

IMarv

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of ways to do it.

Routers are a great way to do it. Use barrels or single chests to "network" your coke ovens together.

A cart on a circular track with cart loader/unloaders works too if you want something more interesting to watch.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My new 32 Coke Oven Mega Oven:
2013-04-20_12_46_03.png

There are liquiducts to a tesseract inside for the creosote oil and import and export buses to move the coal and coke.

2013-04-20_13_03_01.png

This will power 5 36HP boilers. 1 on creosote and 4 on coal coke.

IMarv
This one interests me, for a number of reasons:
1. Can you make coke ovens side by side?
2. How do you supply them all?
3. Would routers work in place of AE? (Like the mod, but looking to explore routers a bit more)
4. Is there any overflow, or is that the number if ovens to supply that number of boilers?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
He hasn't got coke ovens side by side there's a block/gap in between where the ME cables go, they are most likely covered using facades.