Automated rubber production in FTB revelation?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
G

Guanfei

Hi!

As the title says, I'd like to find a way to make my rubber production, from the rubber trees to actual rubber, easier and more convenient.
I've check the wiki, found ways to do it, only to realize that many of the machines mentionned there aren't in Revelation anymore.

Do you have a way to do it? Thanks.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you are talking about Industrial Foregoing's rubber to plastic setup, there aren't any rubber trees anymore. You use regular logs, automate with some form of block placer to refresh it as they get consumed.

If you are talking about IC2 rubber, that's a bit more difficult to automate. But I believe it is still ore dictionary with Industrial Foregoing's dry rubber?

G

Guanfei

Yes, I'm talking about IC2 rubber, used to make cables and stuff. There are rubber trees, but I can only collect it by hand, I didn't find a way to automate it yet.
I've found some tutorials to automate them, but in most of them, the machine used doesn't exist anymore, or aren't in the pack. I'm a bit lost.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yes, I'm talking about IC2 rubber, used to make cables and stuff. There are rubber trees, but I can only collect it by hand, I didn't find a way to automate it yet.
I've found some tutorials to automate them, but in most of them, the machine used doesn't exist anymore, or aren't in the pack. I'm a bit lost.
I'm a bit lost why anyone bothered including it in a 1.12 pack, considering how generally incompetently put together IC2 is these days.

As I said before, you can make Industrial Foregoing's Dry Rubber and it should be OreDict compatible with IC2's rubber. Automate it that way.

But really, the best advise I can give is to just avoid the mod entirely. Anything you would want to do via IC2 you can do much more intuitively and less painfully badly designed with either Thermal Expansion or Actually Additions. And considering IC2 is so far the holdout for having a non-compatible energy system to every other mod in existence, there's literally no purpose to pursuing the mod at all.

G

Guanfei

The mod is included in the pack I'm playing, Revelation. And Last time I played it, it was still called Tekkit.

What pack would you advise me to take? The more complete, the better.

Also, I tried, and you can't replace IC2 rubber by dry rubber.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Two things you can try:
1) Simple tree farm on the rubber. Sticky resin sometimes drops just by felling the trees.
2) IC2 "stickreed". Doing ic2 crops can be really annoying, but stickreed is useful. It grows very quickly and drops sticky resin when harvested. Fair warning, ic2 crops can only be auto-harvested by the IC2 machine (cropmatron I believe)

My knowledge is mostly from 1.7.10, sorry if something's not valid above.

G

Guanfei

I tried to get the stickreed. But crossbreeding is really annoying and, even worse, that made our server unstable. We had to rollback before I started, because it would crash all the time.

What do you mean, tree farm?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I tried to get the stickreed. But crossbreeding is really annoying and, even worse, that made our server unstable. We had to rollback before I started, because it would crash all the time.

What do you mean, tree farm?
The modpack will feature a number of ways to automatically grow and harvest trees. For instance, I see Industrial Foregoing is in the modlist. It has an incredibly powerful tree farm solution (requiring, I believe, 3 machines: 1 to plant, one to harvest, and one to process sludge (optional, you can void the sludge)

If you farm rubber trees in this way, you'll likely produce sticky resin as a byproduct.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Also, once you’ve got an Extractor from IC2 built, you can directly process the logs for rubber trees into rubber.

Reactions: Pyure
G

Guanfei

I will check that then, i'm interested. All the solutions I've found so far included machines that wasn't in the pack anymore (such as the logger for example)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The mod is included in the pack I'm playing, Revelation. And Last time I played it, it was still called Tekkit.
Uhhh... no. Tekkit has nothing to do with FTB. I'd rather not bring up old drama, but suffice to say, you are thinking of two entirely different things that have zero in common.

What pack would you advise me to take? The more complete, the better.
Depends on what you mean by 'complete'. The modding scene has changed *significantly* over the years. And you can enjoy a mod pack without using a given mod IN the pack.

My suggestion to you: Dump IC2-ex over the side, and pretend it doesn't exist. Instead of using IC2, use Thermal Expansion and Thermal Dynamics as your primary tech mod. You still get a Pulverizer (effectively macerator), a Powered Furnace, and advanced furnace that does two smelting operations at once, machine upgrades to make each machine individually better, and a FAR more sane power grid. No more machine explosions!

Also, look into the mod Immersive Engineering. It's a lovely steampunk-styled mod which is asthetically as well as mechanically pleasing. It also has a guide book (made with a book plus a lever) which is extremely detailed and informative. This is the awesomeness.

I remember the Logger, that was back in the 1.2.5 and 1.3 era. Forestry went full HAM on the 'we don't want you to have nice things', and has gone in a very different direction, to the point of no longer being viable. Instead, use Industrial Foregoing. This stand-alone mod enables you to automate all of your farming and ranching needs. This lets you do the following: Tree Farm (uses two machines, one underneath to plant and one to harvest), crop farming (ditto), milk and wool production from animals in the area (only needs a single machine), automated beef and leather (requires a three-pen setup to run optimally), and such.

Also, I tried, and you can't replace IC2 rubber by dry rubber.
Seems like they're staying with the 'IC2 does not play well with others' theme, then. Which is really my core beef with them. A mod pack, in my opinion, should work together as seamlessly as possible. IC2's infrastructure is basically and fundamentally incompatible with everything. In essence, you are required to build multiple infrastructures instead of having all of your infrastructure work together. Which is why I generally avoid IC2 these days. Unfortunately, while other mods have moved on and advanced, IC2 is focused primarily on pleasing the Gregites.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Seems like they're staying with the 'IC2 does not play well with others' theme, then. Which is really my core beef with them. A mod pack, in my opinion, should work together as seamlessly as possible. IC2's infrastructure is basically and fundamentally incompatible with everything. In essence, you are required to build multiple infrastructures instead of having all of your infrastructure work together. Which is why I generally avoid IC2 these days. Unfortunately, while other mods have moved on and advanced, IC2 is focused primarily on pleasing the Gregites.
I disagree. They're primarily focused on pleasing the IC2ites.

The distinction is minor but visible to, well, gregites like myself :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ignoring Shneekey's distaste for Forestry, it should still have the option for Rubberized Electron tubes, which when placed on a circuit board and placed into a Forestry Multi-block farm, in managed mode, will allow it to harvest rubber from the IC2 rubber trees automatically.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I have to agree with @ShneekeyTheLost , avoid IC2 unless you absolutely have to. In addition to his reasons is also the shear boat load of resources to expend to really get into the mod, burning out Hammers and snips to make all the plates and wires needed, and all the bloody crafting just to make a single machine. Back in the pre-1.7 days is was a little more stomach able when 6 rubber balls and 3 copper ingots got you the 6 copper cables you needed for a processor but now it feels like such a grind just to get those first 4 machines you need just to be able to make more machine without spending all your hard earned early resources.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It takes two hammers and one set of snips to make the metal former and then you never need them again. And that's if you stop to make the redstone furnace along the way.