Auto quarry setup.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a way to have a quarry shut down once the chest it's connected to is full? I'm assuming it can probably be done with some gates.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
some gates.

I'd use an engineering turtle to crescent hammer the energy cell/redstone conduit that connects to the system.

Or a turtle that mines through the energy connection system.

You could also set it up to trigger a TnT charge that could blow up a bit of the energy pipe line.

Or use a nuke instead to destroy the quarry, to make SURE it stays off...

Maybe best yet, you could always set up an item tesseract/ender chest to allow storage in a remote location without the need of having the stuff stored there. This is the ideal way to do it.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 has used gates in multiple quarry setups. You detect whether the chest is full (preferably a buffer chest, so the quarry has time to cool down), then output a redstone signal to turn off your engines.

Reactions: AlanEsh

tanefa99

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% sure, but there is a gate command called 'has work' and that could, in theory, work. Simply putting 'has work' -> 'red pipe wire signal' and connecting the red pipe wire to the engines could toggle the engines to be on and off.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Gates can be used to detect space in inventory, send that signal through a not gate and over to the engines. if you want a manual offswitch you send the signal from the not gate into an and gate where you off switch is also connected, and then connect the and output to the engines

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I put a cobblestone structure pipe on my ender chest with a gate on it, set to send a redstone signal if the chest is full, then I connect that to a redstone energy conduit which is set to stop output when a signal is received.

ETA: This is just a "failsafe" in case my quarry is loaded but my sorting system isn't, like if I forget to turn it off manually before logging off.

Reactions: AlanEsh

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Gates can be used to detect space in inventory, send that signal through a not gate and over to the engines. if you want a manual offswitch you send the signal from the not gate into an and gate where you off switch is also connected, and then connect the and output to the engines
Then, when you replace your engines with a Redstone Energy Cell, you remove the NOT gate. That way, when your chest fills up, the REC gets turned off, but the engines that you forgot to disconnect get turned back on and turn your quarry into an item fountain. See Direwolf20's LP Season 5 for an excellent example of this.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
Then, when you replace your engines with a Redstone Energy Cell, you remove the NOT gate. That way, when your chest fills up, the REC gets turned off, but the engines that you forgot to disconnect get turned back on and turn your quarry into an item fountain. See Direwolf20's LP Season 5 for an excellent example of this.
You can change the settings of the Redstone Eneryg Cell, to only output energy when the redstone signal is on, or you can have the signal from the gate reach the cell first then apply the not gate and send the signal to the engines

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
You can change the settings of the Redstone Eneryg Cell, to only output energy when the redstone signal is on, or you can have the signal from the gate reach the cell first then apply the not gate and send the signal to the engines
Yeah it was a dumb mistake, I was shouting at the screen when he changed the config around as I could see what was going to happen. But I was a few episodes behind watching, so there was no point in me going to the Youtube comments. I literally fell off the chair laughing when I saw the cobblestone fountain. Sometimes I thing DW20 deliberately makes mistakes like that just to get people posting in the comments.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Because, of course, it's true. It also covers up his actual mistakes, eh? Best. Plan. Ever.

"Nice" ;)

ETA: I sub to DW20, I totally respect his knowledge of the mods, I don't know even half of what he knows about them, and the tone of this post is supposed to be jovial, not hating.

Reactions: Guswut

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
It might be better to use a turtle underneath the quarry to pick it up. Turning off the power to a quarry often takes awhile for the quarry to stop. My current setup lets the quarry continue for around 15 seconds after I shut it off:(

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
"Nice" ;)

ETA: I sub to DW20, I totally respect his knowledge of the mods, I don't know even half of what he knows about them, and the tone of this post is supposed to be jovial, not hating.

Too late, the DW20 bots are already on their way to decraft you. Run!

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of great suggestions. I especially like the nuke idea. Sadly I can't use gates for now. I only have a little bit of MJ and pipes require a lot don't they?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of great suggestions. I especially like the nuke idea. Sadly I can't use gates for now. I only have a little bit of MJ and pipes require a lot don't they?

It requires a lot of MJ, but it only requires it in bursts. You could supply as much as you can supply and let it run overnight or whatnot to get yourself a gate.

Otherwise, remote storage is really the BEST option. Especially as moving your quarry is a LOT easier that way.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. That is probably what i'll do. All I have to do is find a nether fortress first. My nether spawn was completely encased in netherackk. So.. This will be tough.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. That is probably what i'll do. All I have to do is find a nether fortress first. My nether spawn was completely encased in netherackk. So.. This will be tough.
What do you need the fortress for? Almost everything you can get in a fortress can be easily obtained without ever reaching one. Except for finding actual Blazes or Wither Skeletons(and their skulls), you can get anything else pretty much anywhere else.
Need soulsand? Use a sludge boiler! Has a chance to produce Soul Sand. Need Netherbrick? Use a compressor on Netherrack, or a soul forge with stone bricks! Need Netherwart? Waste hours on a IC2 Crop farm to finally net some, then grow it literally anywhere else with soulsand or maybe Xyclordium Soil(never tested this). Need Blaze Rods? Thaumcraft 3 has a plant which called a Cinderpod, which when broken by hand drops blaze powder, which can be rebuilt with a Minum Stone and smashed into more powder then you built it out of with many mods.(but I suggest Thermal Expansion because it nets the most powder and thus produces more per cycle)

That being said, I don't have any reason to go to the Nether anymore now with the latest MystCraft builds, what with them add a NETHER FORTRESS SYMBOL! With luck I might even be able to make a copy of The End sans dragon(complete with GregTech ores if I'm lucky).

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on Mindcrack. and I need blaze rods. Therefore I must find the blaze rods. It's much easier to find them then to set up a TE machine line.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on Mindcrack. and I need blaze rods. Therefore I must find the blaze rods. It's much easier to find them then to set up a TE machine line.
Hm, I thought Mindcrack has EE3. Well, not much I can suggest in that case, there is one IC2 crop card addition I use(there's only one updated anyway) which I use for farming more "exotic" resources(namely damn near every mob drop in the game), but that likely won't do you any good. IC2 crop's are hell. Kind of useful, but hell. Can produce large amounts of resources with enough effort breeding better crops, but still, you're almost better off using bees.(IC2 crops are slightly better because you can get a crop you want much easier then breeding the bee you want usually, unless of course you know exactly how to get the bee you want)