ATLauncher

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Since this has nothing to do with FTB, I thought I'd bring this up in the general chat forum.

Basically, it's a launcher that has been out a while, but almost no one has heard of it. They took some ideas from various sources, and came up with what I think is a pretty darn good product. Most of the changes are on the 'back end', but some of these impact users as well.

It's got a really interesting way of setting up instances, particularly with regard to mods which do not give permission to include in mod packs. The problem here is that in most cases, the mod author either a) wants people to hit their web page where their donate button is, b) want to go through their adf.ly page so they can maintain their website, or c) Want to keep an accurate accounting of how many downloads for their mod.

ATLauncher respects all of these things. What it does is actually quite cute: Instead of the launcher downloading mods from the mod pack itself, it reads which mods are being included in the mod pack (which also gives you the ability to provide 'optional' mods which some users might enjoy and some might not), then it downloads them. In cases where it can automatically download the mod, it does. In cases where it requires user interface (ad.fly pages, a request by the mod author to hit their main page before their download page, etc...) then it automatically pops open the relevant page in your browser and asks you to download it manually. Then you click on the button, indicating that you've done so. At this point, it checks to be sure you downloaded it to the right place. If you have, then it goes on to the next mod. If not, it asks you to download the mod again. This can make it appear to be an infinite loop at first, because it is asking you to download the same mod over and over again.

This solves everyone's problems. Mod packs can include mods which traditionally restrict or prohibit inclusion into mod packs because it is the end user downloading the mod themselves for their private use, which is kind of the whole reason for mods to exist. Users can play in such a mod pack together on a serer with these mods and not worry about problems installing and configuring.

In essence, it is something like MMC's Config Pack importation process, only it also automatically points you to the website to download the relevant mod when you don't already have it in the correct folder. Mind you, it doesn't automatically download it if there's something like ad.fly or other process which requires user interface, only if it is open source and available on something like GitHub.

This also dovetails nicely with one of the other great features... delta updating.

Okay, quick terminology definition: Delta represents the change in state in the referred datum, and is represented by the greek symbol Delta which looks like a triangle. You'll see it quite a bit in physics, with phrases like 'Delta Vee' or 'the change in velocity' , to represent acceleration or deceleration.

Basically, the launcher looks at the mod pack's file, and checks it against all of the files it currently has. If there are any differences, it will initiate the download method, either requested manual or automatic as the situation requires. This means that updating a mod pack doesn't (necessarily) mean downloading the whole mod pack, just the parts that changed. So in a mod pack with 80+ mods, and three of them updated, it only grabs those three mods and continues right on its merry way. I'm sure you can see why this makes updates much faster.

Because the mod pack files don't contain any mods, but merely information concerning version numbers and configs, and it stores all of the downloaded (either manually or automatically) all of the mods in the same folder, creating a new instance with a different mod pack which has many of the same mods is much faster as well, because it sees that it already has those mods downloaded, so it doesn't need to download them again. This not only saves space on your hard drive by not needing a dozen copies of the same file, but it saves time and hassle as well.

It's an interesting launcher with a lot of features. I'll definitely be using it, if for no other reason than for ResonantRise. And I'll probably start development on ShneekeyCraft and ask the team if I can include ShneekeyCraft on ATLauncher as well.

Reactions: RedBoss

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher has already proven to be an extremely competent product for modpack creators, but what will actually sell it to users is quality modpacks that require the launcher to work.

*hint hint*

Reactions: RedBoss

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
ATLauncher has already proven to be an extremely competent product for modpack creators, but what will actually sell it to users is quality modpacks that require the launcher to work.

*hint hint*
Expect ShneekeyCraft to make an appearance on ATLauncher in short order. The ID's will be different than the ones on the FTB launcher, though. However, oddly enough, they seem to be compatible with Unleashed, the DW20 pack, and Resonant Rise. Can't imagine why... :rolleyes:

PureEvil

Jul 29, 2019
Great launcher, I love it. The interface is clear and intuitive, also there are many features which FTB is missing so far, such as Instances. As for today, the modpacks are definitely superior to the FTB or Technic. I hope that FTB catches up soon :)

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
One thing this launcher needs is "out of the box" server packs. We tried an entire night trying to run a Resonant Rise server and it would not work! You can play that mod in SSP fine it's just the "server download" doesn't works "out of the box" or even after trying to troubleshoot for over 3 hours..

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Must just be the people that created the Resonant Rise pack then, because I downloaded Overload Lite 2.2. The server instance fires right up and I was hosting a server of Overload LIte in less ten minutes (already had the mods downloaded for the SSP).

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
That can be a draw back on AtLauncher as it is up to the pack maker to ensure the server install, as well as the client install, is setup correctly. Though the option to allow server installs can be disabled, so if someone does not know how to set up a server, or want to they can prevent it and not worry about it. The Atlauncher staff only provides technical support, pre-checks the perms, and final checks the perms before allowing the pack to publish. The main drawback, is the back-end initial setup, as the pack has to be made in XML, but they are working on streamlining the process and automating much of it currently, and currently provide quite a few tools to use in the pack creation. Once the pack is set up it is quite easy to update and make changes at anytime, which is great, as there is no waiting a week to update when a bug is fixed or an important mod update comes out for example.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, a thread about this! Just so you guys know, I'm merging my modpack with MagiTech. Expect to see a name change and worlds will likely break.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Must just be the people that created the Resonant Rise pack then, because I downloaded Overload Lite 2.2. The server instance fires right up and I was hosting a server of Overload LIte in less ten minutes (already had the mods downloaded for the SSP).

Never mind Smelters have this pack on "autopilot" so supposedly I should be able to use the jar that they have and just fire up the server. they even said that their customer support will finally do what I expected from server hosting companies all this time is to actually Help me with crash logs and etc with the server not working. So they should not act like Fragnet. Oh and their CPU cores are almost as good.

Edit yep they are great! Running a RR server like butter right now. Only problem I only have 2GB of RAM to go around until I get more fund because I will probably need double that to accommodate 10 players comfortably assuming the CPU is good enough.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Forum policy is to not allow threads with the sole purpose of advertising a different launcher. There' nothing against discussing it but not a whole thread devoted to it. For more information on ATLauncher please go to their website

Status
Not open for further replies.