ATG and tons of oceans and islands!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. I added Alternate Terrain Generation (ATG) to my Infinity installation, but every time I generate a new world (I tried about 10 times) I keep getting nothing but islands and oceans. I have never started in the middle of a big continent.

Is this just really bad luck, or is there some config issues I need to look into?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
One thing that I have found is that the landscape is very LARGE with ATG and it is easier to think there is a lot more ocean and islands than usual. But maybe it is really not that much different than usual since biome zones and mountains etc. are simply so huge.

You can get unlucky and spawn in "ocean" world region. That happens with vanilla/BoP world gen too. And in my experience you ALWAYS spawn on a beach somewhere. I usually "cheat" a little and use creative flight to find myself a good place to settle down. Actually I use creative flight to test out seeds before I pick them. And I go through a LOT before I settle on one.

Lastly I know that Eyamaz did a lot of modifications to the ATG configs for 1.6 modpacks and they were distributed to all packs through universal configs. Not sure if this is the case with 1.7, but probably not. I also think ATG have shifted authors/developers since then, so things might have changed. But it have never been unusual to get lots of tall mountain "fingers" in ocean biomes.

Oh and if you are curious, this is a map of my ATG+BoP+Highlands world for 1.6.4 using Eyemaz's configs:
SsIr9YU.jpg

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Also, that map is awesome!
It is indeed, but it also took me many attempts to get it. And I had to explore quite far from spawn to find a good spot. Spawn is in the lower right area, in the watery area south east of the desert area in the middle. So you might not want to give up on a seed just because you spawn in what looks like a bad spot. I really suggest getting in creative(maybe spawn in some speed boosting boots or jetpack) and look around a large area before giving up on the seed.

I also use a slight modification on the ftb defaults that reduces biome variation. This is really bad if you want to find a speficic biome, but it gives MUCH bigger biomes of the same kind. That was important for me as I hate building bases across biome borders.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
It is indeed, but it also took me many attempts to get it. And I had to explore quite far from spawn to find a good spot. Spawn is in the lower right area, in the watery area south east of the desert area in the middle. So you might not want to give up on a seed just because you spawn in what looks like a bad spot. I really suggest getting in creative(maybe spawn in some speed boosting boots or jetpack) and look around a large area before giving up on the seed.

I also use a slight modification on the ftb defaults that reduces biome variation. This is really bad if you want to find a speficic biome, but it gives MUCH bigger biomes of the same kind. That was important for me as I hate building bases across biome borders.
Killer base.