Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Goobdude

Jul 29, 2019
Playing FTB Monster and I found a Night Stone from Random Things mod as dungeon loot. Any idea what it does? The Random Things wiki is missing a few items and the forum thread doesn't mention it. I did see a White Stone but I'm guessing they aren't the same thing.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Map Viewers for SSP?

Thought about using Minutor again - but having to toil with their "Pack Builder" to add all of the latest mods custom definitions has put me right off

I'm hoping someone has a recommendation .... :)

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, quick quesion, i'm playing FTB DW20's 1.6.4 pack and i'm getting a really hard time killing any enderman, they teleport imediatly.

Is there any way with the mods and all to prevent enderman teleporting? Some kind of wall or gadget?

tks cump

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, quick quesion, i'm playing FTB DW20's 1.6.4 pack and i'm getting a really hard time killing any enderman, they teleport imediatly.

Is there any way with the mods and all to prevent enderman teleporting? Some kind of wall or gadget?

tks cump

The trick with endermen is to look at and damage their feet, not their upper body. As long as you only look at those feet they will not teleport away.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing Ultimate, and after much ado I finally assembled my Industrial Blast Furnace today. The light on the front shone green, my MFE was nearby and filled up, the birds were singing and life was good. "Time to make some steel," I thought and connected the MFE to the Furnace block with a single EU-Splitter Cable (to prevent the furnace from siphoning all my EU when not in use).

It started draining power, just as expected, so I "closed" the cable. Then I put some Iron and Charcoal into the furnace, and put the power back on. Nothing happened.

Tried with Refined Iron and Charcoal. Iron and Coal Dust. Iron and Coal Coke. Nothing happened. I checked the MFE. No power was even drained from it, no matter what cable I used (tried to replace the EU-Splitter with Gold Cable, with no luck). What am I doing wrong?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Pic of IBF. Where is the Control Block (the actual IBF block itself) located on the Multi-block structure that you made out of standard/reinforced/advanced casings? (It should be in the center-bottom of the 3x3x4-tall structure) Make sure you provide a constant 128 EU/t to it. If power supply is interrupted, it won't complete until full power is restored. Also, dumb question, the goldcable/splitter cable is attached to the 'dot' output from the MFE correctly? Try wrenching the block then replacing it to reset the power, with wrench in Lossless mode of course.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I tried to follow the aforementioned troubleshooting guide. Now launcher^FTB.exe is not a valid Win32 application (i also had that problem attempting to download java and used a different place in the site to download it.

Hollowfires

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question -- curious for server purposes.

Why do most packs have 1.0.1 Extra utilities instead of 1.0.2?

Energy nodes crash me in 1.0.1, so I'm curious why there was a sudden rollback.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know what the config options are for Tinkers Construct in the 'Ultra hardcore changes"? I almost think it is some kind of joke. "Change crafting recipes" - what does that mean?

Configs without comments to tell you what the changes mean aren't really very helpful. :/

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing Ultimate, and after much ado I finally assembled my Industrial Blast Furnace today. The light on the front shone green, my MFE was nearby and filled up, the birds were singing and life was good. "Time to make some steel," I thought and connected the MFE to the Furnace block with a single EU-Splitter Cable (to prevent the furnace from siphoning all my EU when not in use).

It started draining power, just as expected, so I "closed" the cable. Then I put some Iron and Charcoal into the furnace, and put the power back on. Nothing happened.

Tried with Refined Iron and Charcoal. Iron and Coal Dust. Iron and Coal Coke. Nothing happened. I checked the MFE. No power was even drained from it, no matter what cable I used (tried to replace the EU-Splitter with Gold Cable, with no luck). What am I doing wrong?
Try letting it charge just a little before starting to process stuff. Those GT machines are a little picky about their constant EU requirement.

Also make sure the redstone signal you have controlling the splitter cable isn't turning off the MFE.

Reactions: Kyll.Ing.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
^Thanks, I found out now. Turns out the initial power drain from the MFE was simply the Furnace charging up. Once it was charged, it stopped draining EU until I gave it something to work with. Also, I was using the wrong recipe. Seems like Coal Dust and Refined Iron is the way to go.

Now, having made my Mining Drill, I'm shooting for Diamond. Step 1 seems to be acquiring some Titanium, which I understand is easiest to acquire via Bauxite. However, despite my base being located smack-dab in the middle of a Pine Forest, I haven't been able to find any. I've spelunked a fair bit, and quarried up an area the size of a basketball court all the way to bedrock, but not a single bit of Bauxite yet. Am I digging in the wrong biome, or is it just that rare? We're still talking FTB Ultimate (1.4.7), by the way.

Also, my laptop seems to protest a bit after a while of playing. Short render distance and graphics set to minimum remedies it a bit, but not that much. I've heard talk of quarries (specifically, the giant holes they leave - I'm using Mining Turtles but the end result is the same) causing lag and being resource-intensive. Is this true, and if so, why? What can I do to remedy this?

Help would be deeply appreciated.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a Buildcraft Filler and a bunch of cobble to fill the holes back in. The reason the holes are so graphics intensive, is that minecraft has to render 64x64 + 64x64 + 64x64 + 64x64 more blocks than just the 64 that would be on the surface of an unquarried ground. (and if you have a roof on the quarry, the 64 x 64 blocks on the underside).

As far as the bauxite, what Biomes mod are you using? I think Biomes OPlenty was supported by GT in 1.4.7, but don't know about ExtraBiomes. And not sure its much help, but here's bauxites biomes.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that explains the quarries, then. I had originally planned to build my base at a level about halfway down it, since the quarry would eventually outgrow unquarried ground in the loaded area. I guess it means my game will keep crawling until I hit a point where the quarry walls unload from memory in the far distance in any direction. In the mean time, would mining away all the blocks with animated textures help?

For the bauxite, I didn't even know there were more biome mods. I just downloaded Ultimate straight from the launcher, and play it unchanged from hat. What biomes mod would that imply? It almost seems like Greg forgot to add Pine Forest to the list of Bauxite biomes (Pine Lands, whatever that may be, is supported, however). Luckily, there's a great Meadow just a couple dozen blocks down the road. Looks like it's time to dig up another hole over there.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, the quarry hole problem is why some servers create a mining world. If everyone is playing around in the main dimension, no one has all of those holes loaded, reducing lag. The problem isn't just animated textures. Every block that is not adjacent to another block is rendered in your view. So every block in cave systems, all surface blocks, etc. When you create quarry holes, all of those blocks on the sides then have to be rendered, as opposed to just the 64x64 blocks on the surface that would be rendered. Even if your quarry leaves a 'surface' on your quarry hole, your Minecraft still has to render all of the exposed blocks the quarry creates.

As far as the Pine Forest, is that what it is called when you hit F3? If it's a vanilla biome, it should be a supported biome in GT, and maybe it's just that the RNG greatly dislikes you.

Reactions: Kyll.Ing.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
It says "Pine Forest" upon F3, but that doesn't seem to be a Vanilla Biome according to the Minecraft Wiki (which uses the word "Taiga" to describe a biome practically identical to the one I've built my base in).

Back to quarries: Are you saying that the game only renders the blocks I specifically look at, or the direct opposite? I've noticed that the FPS spikes significantly whenever I chop down trees, at the moment where the bottom two blocks are gone and I go underneath the canopy to remove the rest of the trunk. At those moments, I can only see the 5-10 leaf blocks as well as the stem I'm hitting. Those few blocks fill the entire field of vision, and the FPS seems to hit triple digits.

Can quarries be related to this? Would a "lid" laid over the hole conceal all those rendered blocks below, or would they still have to be rendered? English is not my native language, so it's a little difficult to clarify. By "adjacent to another block", do you mean "hidden behind other blocks in every direction" (as in, there are blocks on all sides of the block in question, obscuring it completely)? If so, it looks like you're telling me that I'd have to fill in the hole completely to avoid lag. Thinking about it, that seems to be consistent with how caves are portrayed whenever the world-gen hiccups.

...which again makes it seem having a base hovering over the quarry hole isn't the brightest idea I've had, considering I play the game on a laptop. Bummer.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid someone that knows a bit more about the rendering will have to help here, cause I have had the same experience when just looking at canopies, etc. Not sure if it's every block within your view distance (the chunk radius around you that's loaded, so every block in 10x10 chunks), or just the blocks that are within your sightlines (but still within your chunk view distance).

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used AE before, so how much space should I set aside in my base for it?
What do you plan on using it for? If you are just doing storage with disks and diskdrives then not much, controller a regular and/or crafting monitor and a drive or two. If you want the autocrafting multiblock (the Molecular assembly chamber) then you will want a little bit more room with some room to expand the system. the smallest MAC is a 3x3x3 cube and the largest is what like a 12x12x12-but that is a bit of a waste. Also keep in mind that you are going to probably be running cables everywhere if you are doing any kind of auto processing This is my biggest space requirement by far.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
What do you plan on using it for? If you are just doing storage with disks and diskdrives then not much, controller a regular and/or crafting monitor and a drive or two. If you want the autocrafting multiblock (the Molecular assembly chamber) then you will want a little bit more room with some room to expand the system. the smallest MAC is a 3x3x3 cube and the largest is what like a 12x12x12-.
Actually if you plan on auto crafting I reccomend 5x5x5 for pattern storage(although I like to have most things craftable) but there is no largest iirc, someone made one hundreds of blocks wode, tall, and long

Last edited: