Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Also curious on Blood Magic: I'm having some difficulty making sense of the 'Soul Network' thing. I'm in the process of trying to make a Well of Suffering, and spent a significant amount of time with my Magician's Blood Orb sitting in the altar, and a stack of Meat Ingots, the Divination Sigil, and the Sacrificial Orb in my hotbar. Sacrifice 8 hearts, wait for the recovery, nom some meat-product when necessary. Blood Orb is happily soaking up the LP, and the meter for the 'Soul Network' got up to - roughly a third full (should be about 50K, if I've calculated right). I take the Orb off the altar, go do some other (non-Blood Magic) stuff, shut down for the night.

This morning, I sacrifice an escaped chicken, check the altar reading, and the meter has dropped significantly, to just above the bottom 'cup' of the read-out. Even when I brought the Orb back to the altar to mop up from the chicken, the meter doesn't change more than 'sopping up the chicken'. It's as if ten thousand or so LP went poof!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Also curious on Blood Magic: I'm having some difficulty making sense of the 'Soul Network' thing. I'm in the process of trying to make a Well of Suffering, and spent a significant amount of time with my Magician's Blood Orb sitting in the altar, and a stack of Meat Ingots, the Divination Sigil, and the Sacrificial Orb in my hotbar. Sacrifice 8 hearts, wait for the recovery, nom some meat-product when necessary. Blood Orb is happily soaking up the LP, and the meter for the 'Soul Network' got up to - roughly a third full (should be about 50K, if I've calculated right). I take the Orb off the altar, go do some other (non-Blood Magic) stuff, shut down for the night.

This morning, I sacrifice an escaped chicken, check the altar reading, and the meter has dropped significantly, to just above the bottom 'cup' of the read-out. Even when I brought the Orb back to the altar to mop up from the chicken, the meter doesn't change more than 'sopping up the chicken'. It's as if ten thousand or so LP went poof!

Without the context of this being a Modded Minecraft site, this post might come off as slightly disturbing... :p

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Without the context of this being a Modded Minecraft site, this post might come off as slightly disturbing... :p

For reals - I'm just glad the default is 'Sacrificial Orb'. In the original AgSkies, I remember it being a 'Sacrificial Knife' that you used on yourself. :D

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015

my first guess would be , do u have anything that would consume lp (like a lava crystal, bound stuff,rituals) besides the altar your trying to charge the orb on.
(side note i prefer the dagger form because its more honest and i find the concept of a mysterious orb draining my life really creepy)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
my first guess would be , do u have anything that would consume lp (like a lava crystal, bound stuff,rituals) besides the altar your trying to charge the orb on.
(side note i prefer the dagger form because its more honest and i find the concept of a mysterious orb draining my life really creepy)

Only bound thing is a Bound Sword, which I have deactivated most of the time (was not active at all for the past week, in fact - and I'm considering stashing it in a chest since I have a decent stash of Blood Shards as far as I can tell). Only ritual I've done is the Ritual of Binding for said sword (over a week ago). I really haven't done much with Blood Magic, mainly because filling the altar is a bit tedious (something I hope to alleviate with the Well.)

[Side note: I don't really care much about the form, but you have to admit that the post would be slightly more disturbing with the 'Knife'.]

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
It might be the internal buffer of the Blood Altar filling up. The Blood Altar basically has two tanks, the one that you see, and an invisible one that's used for fluid I/O. It slowly fills the fluid I/O one, and it can therefore look as if LP is vanishing. Not sure if that's what's happening with you, but it could be. Might be worth it to try the Seer Sigil (don't remember the exact name, but it's the upgraded divination sigil).

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
i can't find any Canola.
the FTB wiki says that canola seeds drop from breaking gras. but i used half a stack of bonemeal to create and break grass. no canola seeds.
i just need one seed :-/

by the way: using direwolf20 1.12

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
i can't find any Canola.
the FTB wiki says that canola seeds drop from breaking gras. but i used half a stack of bonemeal to create and break grass. no canola seeds.
i just need one seed :-/

by the way: using direwolf20 1.12

Ummm, canola from AA is an actual plant, look for yellow flowering plants on the ground.

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
Ummm, canola from AA is an actual plant, look for yellow flowering plants on the ground.
thanks.
so far, i only read the word "canola" on some of the stuff i found in a village in a different world, on a server. hope i'll find a canola flower soon. didnt even think that's an option

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
thanks.
so far, i only read the word "canola" on some of the stuff i found in a village in a different world, on a server. hope i'll find a canola flower soon. didnt even think that's an option
As a help, they look a bit like a bunch of dandelions together, with a darker green stem.

Canola.png

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
i got a (hopefully) simple question to actually additions.
laser relays have a range limit of 15 blocks. but ... is there a way to improve the range with some kind of upgrade?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
It might be the internal buffer of the Blood Altar filling up. The Blood Altar basically has two tanks, the one that you see, and an invisible one that's used for fluid I/O. It slowly fills the fluid I/O one, and it can therefore look as if LP is vanishing. Not sure if that's what's happening with you, but it could be. Might be worth it to try the Seer Sigil (don't remember the exact name, but it's the upgraded divination sigil).

Okay, did a little experiment last night. Put almost 9000 (not over :p ) in the altar last night, leaving it 'fluid'. Checked it this morning, no decrease. So, if there's empty space in the 'invisible tank', it's probably been filled. Going to do another round of 'Orb filling' today and screenshot the meter before logging out.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
thanks, GamerwithnoGame. that helped ^^
direwolf20 either missed that in his spotlight, or i didnt notice him mentioning it
No probs :) sorry for the brevity of the post, I was having trouble with my internet so I thought I’d better just post the link so you’ve got the info! ;) I think he might have also missed out on the upgrade that makes the beams invisible...

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Botania Endoflames: Is there some restriction on the acceptable layout for these plants to work properly? I often notice Endoflames without the flame graphics, which means they aren't working even tho there's fuel right there on the ground for them to use.

Today, I had 3 Endoflames suddenly stop working (I have 15 total) when they were working previously. What would cause this to happen? Is it perhaps simply a graphical glitch with the flame graphics atop the plant? Or is there some reason why Endoflames would refuse to pick up the available fuel and refuse to work properly?

I know the range on Endoflames is 3 blocks (how far they will look for fuel). Since my layout is six blocks, I throw down two stacks of charcoals... I think what is happening is that, for some strange reason, the non-working endoflames get "attached" to one of the charcoal stacks, and ignores the other - perhaps it depends which stack I throw down onto the ground first? And then once the Endoflame is "attached" to one of the two charcoal stacks, it refuses to look for the other stack, it does not see it... and even tho the stack of fuel is literally right on top of the Endoflame, it won't use it.

When I throw down a new stack of fuel, those non-working Endoflames fire right up... then after the first charcoal they go dead again and refuse to work. Very odd behavior, but obviously there must be a reason for it happening, and I suppose it's just how the things are programmed.

Last edited:

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Botania Endoflames: Is there some restriction on the acceptable layout for these plants to work properly? I often notice Endoflames without the flame graphics, which means they aren't working even tho there's fuel right there on the ground for them to use.

Today, I had 3 Endoflames suddenly stop working (I have 15 total) when they were working previously. What would cause this to happen? Is it perhaps simply a graphical glitch with the flame graphics atop the plant? Or is there some reason why Endoflames would refuse to pick up the available fuel and refuse to work properly?

I know the range on Endoflames is 3 blocks (how far they will look for fuel). Since my layout is six blocks, I throw down two stacks of charcoals... I think what is happening is that, for some strange reason, the non-working endoflames get "attached" to one of the charcoal stacks, and ignores the other - perhaps it depends which stack I throw down onto the ground first? And then once the Endoflame is "attached" to one of the two charcoal stacks, it refuses to look for the other stack, it does not see it... and even tho the stack of fuel is literally right on top of the Endoflame, it won't use it.

When I throw down a new stack of fuel, those non-working Endoflames fire right up... then after the first charcoal they go dead again and refuse to work. Very odd behavior, but obviously there must be a reason for it happening, and I suppose it's just how the things are programmed.

Just checking - are they placed 'next door' to each other? They should be placed 'diagonally' like ...

XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Just checking - are they placed 'next door' to each other? They should be placed 'diagonally' like ...

XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

Yeah that's what I recall... however, I searched thru the Botania in-game manual and there's no mention of that requirement. I also searched the internet wikis and there's also no mention of that.

My Endoflames are basically in a 4x4 area, so there's NO gaps between any of them... and they all work when I throw down charcoal stacks. However, then after the first piece of charcoal is used up, 3 out of my 15 Endoflames refuse to work, while the other 12 work properly despite having no gaps between them.

Weird, eh? I'm currently playing the v1.12.2 modpack "Modern Skyblock 3" so perhaps it's unique to that modpack for whatever reason. Or perhaps the functioning of Endoflames changes in v1.12 Botania?

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's what I recall... however, I searched thru the Botania in-game manual and there's no mention of that requirement. I also searched the internet wikis and there's also no mention of that.

Haven't tested it lately, but I couldn't see anything on the changelog to say it had been changed. It might still be true and I haven't had problems with endoflames.

Having said that, another possibility is having enough mana spreaders to 'suck' out all the mana quickly enough ...

Endoflames will now only burn items if they have somewhere to output the power.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
"Endoflames will now only burn items if they have somewhere to output the power."

Aha, yes that would likely explain it then, thanks. I have two Mana Spreaders for my 15 Endoflames and perhaps I simply need to add a third to resolve the issue.