Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, so here's the other issue.

I'm having some specific item transfer issues. I've gotten some advice here from some helpful members already about different pipe types and the speed at which they can transfer those items, but that's not really what the problem is.

The problem is, I'm using TD pipes primarily, but I suspect the issue is the same no matter what I use (or maybe this is a relic of TD pipes, I can't be sure): Items flow into a container from one of my automated mining options, and I have something pulling those items out as fast as they can on the other side of the chest (or more specifically, I'm using AA crates, but I don't think that matters, either).

The issue is that the pipes move a stack at a time, and it keeps getting stuck in a loop where it will keep trying to pick up the first stack each time, but that first stack keeps getting replaced with the incoming ores. So, let's say it's picking up a long string of cobblestone as they often do, no matter how fast the servo is kicking them out, it keeps taking the partial stack that's being filled by the quarry, often picking up only 9-15 ores at a time because of it. And any other ores that got filed behind the cobblestone get stuck in the crate and don't come out. This causes actual delays or missed ores from my builder/quarry.

This is happening on three different machines at once. And I *almost* got it all figured out by simply removing the servos in favor of a retriever on the other end. This pulls the items so much faster! Except that it also keeps trying to throw all the random items into the other chests that are being filled, eventually causing an even worse backlog.

How do I get this damn thing to pull the full stacks instead?

This ended up longer than I was planning, lol

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

I'm having some specific item transfer issues. I've gotten some advice here from some helpful members already about different pipe types and the speed at which they can transfer those items, but that's not really what the problem is.

The problem is, I'm using TD pipes primarily, but I suspect the issue is the same no matter what I use (or maybe this is a relic of TD pipes, I can't be sure): Items flow into a container from one of my automated mining options, and I have something pulling those items out as fast as they can on the other side of the chest (or more specifically, I'm using AA crates, but I don't think that matters, either).

The issue is that the pipes move a stack at a time, and it keeps getting stuck in a loop where it will keep trying to pick up the first stack each time, but that first stack keeps getting replaced with the incoming ores. So, let's say it's picking up a long string of cobblestone as they often do, no matter how fast the servo is kicking them out, it keeps taking the partial stack that's being filled by the quarry, often picking up only 9-15 ores at a time because of it. And any other ores that got filed behind the cobblestone get stuck in the crate and don't come out. This causes actual delays or missed ores from my builder/quarry.

This is happening on three different machines at once. And I *almost* got it all figured out by simply removing the servos in favor of a retriever on the other end. This pulls the items so much faster! Except that it also keeps trying to throw all the random items into the other chests that are being filled, eventually causing an even worse backlog.

Just a thought - maybe have (at least) two outputs, blacklisting cobble on one (the one pulling out the good stuff) and one whitelisting cobble and maybe other less important stuff.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I do have all the cobblestone pulled into a different inventory from the rest. I could potentially do that.

Right now, I have that sorting automatic via TD logic, so the cobblestone goes into the compressed cobblestone crafter, while the other condensable blocks go into another crafter, but they're automatically pulled in from the main line. If I connect them directly with a filter, that just might do the trick!

Edit: Ooh, that'd fix another issue I was have but didn't post yet. I feel like a dummy for not thinking of it, but this might do it...

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019

I normally blacklist cobble from my ore processing and have it white listed to a drawer or trashcan with a filter. sol is right, best way. Other way, everything into the ae system and then export ores specifically to be used for processing. That's how I do it currently.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I normally blacklist cobble from my ore processing and have it white listed to a drawer or trashcan with a filter. sol is right, best way. Other way, everything into the ae system and then export ores specifically to be used for processing. That's how I do it currently.

This is how it is right now, but I'm pulling in ores at a blistering pace (generating about 5 million cobblestone a day for reference) and I think that's where the problem is. I think I'll try splitting off the condensables (which are almost always the cloggers anyway) directly into their crafters. I think that'll totally do it.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
This is how it is right now, but I'm pulling in ores at a blistering pace (generating about 5 million cobblestone a day for reference) and I think that's where the problem is. I think I'll try splitting off the condensables (which are almost always the cloggers anyway) directly into their crafters. I think that'll totally do it.

if the ores go into the ae system first, then you export them to a crate to be processed... where is cobblestone come in?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The cobblestone goes into the same pipe as everything else right now. With the various machines along that line either pulling them in as they pass, or pulling any that made it to the RS system (RS/AE, same diff here). So it's like you have it and also not at the same time, lol.

It would be the same problem if I took those other machines out of it, though. Like straight into the RS system, do not pass go. The problem stems from trying to pull out cobblestone and the other ores all through the same output, I think.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
The cobblestone goes into the same pipe as everything else right now. With the various machines along that line either pulling them in as they pass, or pulling any that made it to the RS system (RS/AE, same diff here). So it's like you have it and also not at the same time, lol.

It would be the same problem if I took those other machines out of it, though. Like straight into the RS system, do not pass go. The problem stems from trying to pull out cobblestone and the other ores all through the same output, I think.

yes, if you push everything into the ae system and then export only ores to the processing, you won't (shouldn't) have cobble to worry about

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
yes, if you push everything into the ae system and then export only ores to the processing, you won't (shouldn't) have cobble to worry about

Just remember that each item pushed into, or pulled out of, the AE system is incurring a power cost, which may or may not be terribly important (depends on how difficult the modpack is)... but that's the main reason why I usually filter out all the cobblestone from my mining operation as the very first step I do. Sure its easier and simpler to just dump every block from the quarry right into AE... but if you later export all that cobblestone to a trash can because you need the hard drive space for more important items, well now you've paid two times the energy cost, needlessly. Maybe I'm a cheapskate (ya think? haha) but that's my bit of advice. Almost every pack nowadays contains some sort of mechanical (i.e. lag-free) cobblegen block, so cobblestone is the one block that there's really no argument at all for storing massive quantities of it in AE anymore. Of course, now that I said that, someone will prove me wrong and tell me a good reason. haha

Reactions: Psychicash

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember that each item pushed into, or pulled out of, the AE system is incurring a power cost, which may or may not be terribly important (depends on how difficult the modpack is)... but that's the main reason why I usually filter out all the cobblestone from my mining operation as the very first step I do. Sure its easier and simpler to just dump every block from the quarry right into AE... but if you later export all that cobblestone to a trash can because you need the hard drive space for more important items, well now you've paid two times the energy cost, needlessly. Maybe I'm a cheapskate (ya think? haha) but that's my bit of advice. Almost every pack nowadays contains some sort of mechanical (i.e. lag-free) cobblegen block, so cobblestone is the one block that there's really no argument at all for storing massive quantities of it in AE anymore. Of course, now that I said that, someone will prove me wrong and tell me a good reason. haha

nope, that's a very good reason. I was more just confused with how he was describing the setup and behavior. But the power drain, that does make sense.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

The way this is stated ("condensables"), it just made me realize he must be making compressed cobblestone with it all... and that is certainly a valid reason to collect and store it for processing since some modpacks utilize the ExtraUtilities "compressed" blocks quite a bit for various recipes.

So I already corrected my previous statement I guess - there is at least one valid reason to process all that cobble. 5m per day is still a lot of cobble to generate, even for dedicated cobblegens. Why make it, when you already have it as a by-product from your quarry? I definitely understand that thinking - so I guess if it were me, I'd figure out a way to "offload" all that cobble prior to the AE Import Bus and auto-craft it into compressed blocks.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Power is not an issue.

But, no, that still won't work. The problem is trying to pull the cobble at the same time as everything else. I originally had everything pumping directly into the RS system. But it still pulls out the partial stacks, leaving behind the rest. It doesn't matter what it's pumping it into. It's pumping it out that's the problem. Processing the cobblestone isn't clogging anything up. The problem is trying to pull from the same stack that's being filled, so it never gets to the other stacks.

But, again, I think SolMan got it right the first time. I think that's really all I need to do. Just pull the cobblestone separate from the rest, on its own pipe. I will have it go directly to the crafter. The crafter doesn't have any problem keeping up, even at this pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: asb3pe

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The way this is stated ("condensables"), it just made me realize he must be making compressed cobblestone with it all... and that is certainly a valid reason to collect and store it for processing since some modpacks utilize the ExtraUtilities "compressed" blocks quite a bit for various recipes.

So I already corrected my previous statement I guess - there is at least one valid reason to process all that cobble. 5m per day is still a lot of cobble to generate, even for dedicated cobblegens. Why make it, when you already have it as a by-product from your quarry? I definitely understand that thinking - so I guess if it were me, I'd figure out a way to "offload" all that cobble prior to the AE Import Bus and auto-craft it into compressed blocks.

Yes, I'm generating all that cobblestone on purpose. With an RFTools tier 3 crafter, it takes it all in real time, as fast as I can give it to it, and automaticaly condenses it all the way down to octo-cobble. I do the same with nether, sand, dirt and gravel, which can also be condensed, but those only go to tier 2. Each crafter can do 8 recipes, so the cobble gets one machine and the other condensables go to the other machine. All is done in realtime for like 10-15 per tick, too. It's a great little thing (fun to watch the interface, too).

I set up auto-crafting recipes on the RS system itself to uncondense each tier ont he fly as well. 1 octo-cobble takes up 1 space in the RS system, but it has 43 million cobblestone in it. And if I need any cobble for anything, I autocraft it from the octos. I will be using them for things later on as the denser they get, the more blast proof they are.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
nope, that's a very good reason. I was more just confused with how he was describing the setup and behavior. But the power drain, that does make sense.

For the record, thaw was TOTALLY not your fault, lol.

Because I was so confusing, I might just do a quick recording of what's going on here. Like a little 30-second clip, and I'll post it here. I wanted to test a new recording thing anyway.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Now I'm actually not sure if it was as mathematically impossible as I thought. When did quantum quarries start taking 20k per tick?

This whole thing is so weird, I had never come into the game with less RF than when I left it with this setup, but I did recently connect the quarry directly to a wireless Crystal, so maybe I just didn't realize it was pulling that much, but I swore I've not only read but witnessed first hand a 2k/t cap.
a tema nerf happend it used to be much cheaper(2-5k ish i think,i did not run it at full pwer) to run rf wise , the filter never stopped the quantum quarry from harvesting blocks , it just voided blocks that it harvests that violated inserted filters

Reactions: Drbretto

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Power is not an issue.

But, no, that still won't work. The problem is trying to pull the cobble at the same time as everything else. I originally had everything pumping directly into the RS system. But it still pulls out the partial stacks, leaving behind the rest. It doesn't matter what it's pumping it into. It's pumping it out that's the problem. Processing the cobblestone isn't clogging anything up. The problem is trying to pull from the same stack that's being filled, so it never gets to the other stacks.

But, again, I think SolMan got it right the first time. I think that's really all I need to do. Just pull the cobblestone separate from the rest, on its own pipe. I will have it go directly to the crafter. The crafter doesn't have any problem keeping up, even at this pace.
add stack and speed upgrades

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
add stack and speed upgrades

There aren't upgrades for servos. These are resonant tier and are set to move full stacks. Again, the problem isn't that can't can't pull fast enough it's that it keeps pulling the partial stack. That partial stack keeps getting partially filled from the incoming stuff.

Imagine the interface of a chest. You're watching items flow in. It's, say, half full. You flip the switch on the servo, it starts pulling stacks, right up until it gets caught in a loop on the first slot of the chest. It can't fill a stack faster than you're pulling it, but it keeps pulling that stack anyway, even though there's only like 15 in it. By the time the servo ticks to move again, that slot is now filled with 15 more items, which the servo pulls away. And by the time it ticks again, you guessed it, there's another short stack to take. Meanwhile everything else in the chest is sitting there waiting it's turn forever.

I honestly thought I would get a chorus of people lamenting about the same thing.

I didn't try the fix yet, btw, I'm sure it will work, I'm just boggled at how many people don't know what I'm saying :p I blame my words, but I don't know how else to describe it. I might have to recipe that clip after all, lol

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
a tema nerf happend it used to be much cheaper(2-5k ish i think,i did not run it at full pwer) to run rf wise , the filter never stopped the quantum quarry from harvesting blocks , it just voided blocks that it harvests that violated inserted filters

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. It definitely used to be 2k. I don't use a filter, but I confirmed it's not the fortune book or the biome marker, either. It's a straight up 20k niw, no matter the configuration.

Actually, this thing feels much more balanced because if it. I'm ok with it.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't upgrades for servos. These are resonant tier and are set to move full stacks. Again, the problem isn't that can't can't pull fast enough it's that it keeps pulling the partial stack. That partial stack keeps getting partially filled from the incoming stuff.

Imagine the interface of a chest. You're watching items flow in. It's, say, half full. You flip the switch on the servo, it starts pulling stacks, right up until it gets caught in a loop on the first slot of the chest. It can't fill a stack faster than you're pulling it, but it keeps pulling that stack anyway, even though there's only like 15 in it. By the time the servo ticks to move again, that slot is now filled with 15 more items, which the servo pulls away. And by the time it ticks again, you guessed it, there's another short stack to take. Meanwhile everything else in the chest is sitting there waiting it's turn forever.

I honestly thought I would get a chorus of people lamenting about the same thing.

I didn't try the fix yet, btw, I'm sure it will work, I'm just boggled at how many people don't know what I'm saying :p I blame my words, but I don't know how else to describe it. I might have to recipe that clip after all, lol

do you have pictures? screenshots? and this point I think this might need it's own thread LOL

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
do you have pictures? screenshots? and this point I think this might need it's own thread LOL

I know, right? Lol

I am at work now, so I can't record anything right now. But I'll see what I can do. If it's a slow enough day, maybe I can solve this with some mspaint masterpieces. Otherwise, i will record a clip when I get home tonight.

Edit: We should totally have a mod split this out into its own thread called "what the hell drbretto is rambling on about"