Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Nope. It's a Vanilla mechanic now. There were tweets and everything about it from Mojang.
seriously ,it was bad enough in quark but now its going to be in vannila ? it was very annoying fighting endemen in a forest becuase they kept knocking me under a tree then teleblinding me becuase i was under a tree by their hand :(

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
seriously ,it was bad enough in quark but now its going to be in vannila ? it was very annoying fighting endemen in a forest becuase they kept knocking me under a tree then teleblinding me becuase i was under a tree by their hand :(

Just stand on a 3 block high nerd pole with nothing above you, you can still hit them, they can't teleport to you and by not hiding under anything they won't teleport you to them.

Reactions: Hambeau and Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Are ExU2 diamond spikes not dropping XP orbs? Or is this an issue of standing/working a little bit too far away from my grinder? I redesigned the death mechanism a little bit and threw in some diamond spikes on the ground to kill spiders that were too short for the primary grinder, but I've not gotten any xp in the tank since.

I don't want to get off on another rant about ExU2. So I will just say, you owe me 18 diamonds. Good job on that boomerang. It's pretty rad.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Are ExU2 diamond spikes not dropping XP orbs? Or is this an issue of standing/working a little bit too far away from my grinder? I redesigned the death mechanism a little bit and threw in some diamond spikes on the ground to kill spiders that were too short for the primary grinder, but I've not gotten any xp in the tank since.

I don't want to get off on another rant about ExU2. So I will just say, you owe me 18 diamonds. Good job on that boomerang. It's pretty rad.

Assuming that the wiki for this is up-to-date (a dangerous pastime, but I have no way to check at the moment), ExU2 Diamond Spikes are able to drop XP.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'll have to do a study or something then. Something weird is going on. The in game description in JEI shows "drops xp orbs" for gold but just "drops player kill loot" for diamond, and after removing the diamond spikes, I was getting xp again. But maybe it's because I was present. I dunno. I didn't have much time. Tonight, I will experiment.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll have to do a study or something then. Something weird is going on. The in game description in JEI shows "drops xp orbs" for gold but just "drops player kill loot" for diamond, and after removing the diamond spikes, I was getting xp again. But maybe it's because I was present. I dunno. I didn't have much time. Tonight, I will experiment.

I know from playing my custom pack that the diamond spikes do drop XP. My problem was the XP vacuum chest wouldn't collect the XP so I gave up and just left the diamonds ones in. Didn't really need the XP anyway.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
I know from playing my custom pack that the diamond spikes do drop XP. My problem was the XP vacuum chest wouldn't collect the XP so I gave up and just left the diamonds ones in. Didn't really need the XP anyway.

I thought that with EU2 that you had to choose the player loot from the diamond spikes or the XP from the golden ones. Also the ability to enchant them was removed. :( However the mob grinding utils thing has many upgrades available and will generate both player loot and XP. There was also an "ender hopper" that collected both items and XP through the wall I had setup. I remember playing around with that stuff in SF3 so check its mod list to find out what I might have been using. If that doesn't help I can fire up that old world later this week and tell you the exact item names and the mods they came from.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If this is an intended design change for ExU2, we need to have an intervention. I don't know how many wrong decisions someone can make in one thing....

Anyway, luckily I have mob grinding utils. I dig the spinny grindy thing. And at least I can upgrade it. In the end, you only really need one per mob farm anyway, assuming you build it right. I just wish I knew this before once again gathering up the supplies and building something useless with them. Again.

That boomerang is pretty rad, though.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If this is an intended design change for ExU2, we need to have an intervention. I don't know how many wrong decisions someone can make in one thing....

Anyway, luckily I have mob grinding utils. I dig the spinny grindy thing. And at least I can upgrade it. In the end, you only really need one per mob farm anyway, assuming you build it right. I just wish I knew this before once again gathering up the supplies and building something useless with them. Again.

That boomerang is pretty rad, though.
Damn; I thought I had a diamond spike working for me, but I can't check unfortunately :( I had an AA experience solidifier right nearby, and that was definitely gathering XP, but as mine was a cow breeding farm, that could have been breeding XP rather than killing XP. You're right though - if that's an intentional change, that would be a very questionable design choice. I know that with the diamond ones you get player-kill only mob loot, which is what differentiates it from the iron ones, but I thought you got XP too. Assuming diamond spikes no longer drop XP, If I had any experience at modding, I'd be tempted to make a mini-mod that adds in some sort of emerald spike or something that will do XP and player-only loot - perhaps using a diamond spike as its base. You could even add integration so that if Actually Additions is present, it uses the emerald swords added by that ;)

S

shirolovesganta

Hey there,
why is ftb beyond not being updated anymore ? Last update was 2-3 weeks ago. I am a little confused considering its their main modpack right now and a lot of mods update on an almost daily basis.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What grows fastest (meaning, which produces the most quantity in the least amount of time)? Wheat, carrots, potatoes, or one of the Pam's Harvestcraft plants? I'm playing a 1.7.10 custom modpack and making a power generation system from IC2 Plantballs which is why I'm asking my question.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there,
why is ftb beyond not being updated anymore ? Last update was 2-3 weeks ago. I am a little confused considering its their main modpack right now and a lot of mods update on an almost daily basis.

My guess would be that the Beyond team is working diligently on completing the "expert mode" version of the pack which is soon to be released.

And quite honestly... a modpack should not release an update every single day or even every single week for that matter. Think about running a server, what a hassle it would be if the modpack updated every single day? Every day, each player on the server would have to identify which version is running, then update their end to match, and finally, log on and play.

I think this highlights a problem with the way updates are "pushed", and coordinated between players and servers. It should happen automatic and behind the scenes, but it doesn't happen that way. We're forced to do it manually... which means updates shouldn't happen daily or weekly, but rather, every few weeks or months. Just my opinion on it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Damn; I thought I had a diamond spike working for me, but I can't check unfortunately :( I had an AA experience solidifier right nearby, and that was definitely gathering XP, but as mine was a cow breeding farm, that could have been breeding XP rather than killing XP. You're right though - if that's an intentional change, that would be a very questionable design choice. I know that with the diamond ones you get player-kill only mob loot, which is what differentiates it from the iron ones, but I thought you got XP too. Assuming diamond spikes no longer drop XP, If I had any experience at modding, I'd be tempted to make a mini-mod that adds in some sort of emerald spike or something that will do XP and player-only loot - perhaps using a diamond spike as its base. You could even add integration so that if Actually Additions is present, it uses the emerald swords added by that ;)
I suppose it could force players to use multiple spikes, changing it into a bit more of a design game.

For example, I often use just a single spike, and route all the mobs to that, but in this scenario I'd probably do something like have 4 spikes, where 1 is gold and 3 are diamond. All routes-to-spikes being equal, 25% of the kills would end up being XP kills, and 75% would be loot-kills. Tweak the proportion to meet your needs.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I suppose it could force players to use multiple spikes, changing it into a bit more of a design game.

For example, I often use just a single spike, and route all the mobs to that, but in this scenario I'd probably do something like have 4 spikes, where 1 is gold and 3 are diamond. All routes-to-spikes being equal, 25% of the kills would end up being XP kills, and 75% would be loot-kills. Tweak the proportion to meet your needs.
Hmm... that's a good point actually. Each spike would then have its own utility; wooden for if you want them to be low but not dead, iron for just everyday kills where you want the basic drops, gold for XP and diamond for player-only loot.

I wonder if you could set it up so that a timer makes pistons move a block (or two blocks), causing mobs to go down one path or another alternately. Hmm.

Reactions: Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Here's the problem with that spike thing:

I actually get the thought process here, and it's most likely exactly what Pyure is saying. But, the problem is, for the top tier, it shouldn't be a choice.

If they wanted there to be a reason to make the other tiers, it's as simple as requiring the previous tier's spike in the recipe for the next one. That way, you will still have to build gold spikes in order to get what you really want, which is both the xp and the player loot. You can't build a simple catch-all mob spawner if you can't control whether you're getting XP or the player loot. You'd essentially have to build two competing spawners, each outputting half the reward.

Unless this was a clever ruse in support of the mob grinding utils mod, it's simply a bad design choice, and one of many included in ExU2. My original suspicion stands. I believe the author of that mod has fallen into the sophomore curse.

If it wasn't for mob grinding utils, which is a superior option anyway, this would have been the straw that broke the camel's back that would have prompted me to learn how to program Java by editing ExU2. And I'm still not ruling it out some day because I really want my angel blocks back.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Here's the problem with that spike thing:
If it wasn't for mob grinding utils, which is a superior option anyway, this would have been the straw that broke the camel's back that would have prompted me to learn how to program Java by editing ExU2. And I'm still not ruling it out some day because I really want my angel blocks back.

The SAMS Teach Yourself series actually has a volume on making Minecraft mods. Got it for Christmas a few years back.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I actually get the thought process here, and it's most likely exactly what Pyure is saying. But, the problem is, for the top tier, it shouldn't be a choice.
I have no big argument with this in principal. In fact, it subscribes to my "better is better" theory of game development, where a larger investment should always be an "upgrade" and never an "option" or "overclock" (versatility is a different matter).

The thing is, in many modpacks, it doesn't really feel like there's a big difference in the "cost" of the various spikes. Emeralds (going with your new tier) are usually the most rare, but not always. And re-using the previous tier in subsequent upgrades of the spike seems like a cheap tier-cost. And this is sort of self-proving: How many of us have ever used the wooden or golden spikes? Its so simple to skip into the "top tier" that everybody just does that. (I recently used Gold spikes for the first time ever in Sky Factory..for like 10 minutes)

it's simply a bad design choice
I'll agree with this if the spikes still use previous spike-tiers in the recipes (I actually forget if this is the case). Because at that point it breaks better-is-better. But if the diamond spikes are a standalone recipe, then its not really an upgrade, its an option, and its a perfectly reasonable decision on the part of the dev.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have no big argument with this in principal. In fact, it subscribes to my "better is better" theory of game development, where a larger investment should always be an "upgrade" and never an "option" or "overclock" (versatility is a different matter).

The thing is, in many modpacks, it doesn't really feel like there's a big difference in the "cost" of the various spikes. Emeralds (going with your new tier) are usually the most rare, but not always. And re-using the previous tier in subsequent upgrades of the spike seems like a cheap tier-cost. And this is sort of self-proving: How many of us have ever used the wooden or golden spikes? Its so simple to skip into the "top tier" that everybody just does that. (I recently used Gold spikes for the first time ever in Sky Factory..for like 10 minutes)

I'll agree with this if the spikes still use previous spike-tiers in the recipes (I actually forget if this is the case). Because at that point it breaks better-is-better. But if the diamond spikes are a standalone recipe, then its not really an upgrade, its an option, and its a perfectly reasonable decision on the part of the dev.

The spikes are standalone recipes now, but they used to be tiered like I described. I still don't like the change, not without an option that still does it all, and you hit the nail on the head with the emeralds. I'm living in the mountains. I have more emeralds than diamonds. And you're totally right about people skipping the previous tiers. But, that can only happen now because it was changed. And it didn't need to be. It never needed to be a choice. There's no upside to that for anyone. It just means you can no longer have the final product you're going for. If it remained tiered, you'd have all the reason in the world to make the other spikes leading eventually up to the full final product you're working for.

My problem isn't that ExU2 is bad in a vacuum. It's when it's compared to its original form that it's a problem. Because a lot of it appears to be change simply for the sake of change. I touched on this briefly before, but from my own modding days, I call that the sophomore curse. It's when you stumble on some magic while learning to code, but going back after you've matured and messing everything up to make it your own. It's just a shame to see.

The SAMS Teach Yourself series actually has a volume on making Minecraft mods. Got it for Christmas a few years back.

I'll look into this because I think this is an inevitability down the line. Thanks for the tip!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The spikes are standalone recipes now, but they used to be tiered like I described. I still don't like the change, not without an option that still does it all, and you hit the nail on the head with the emeralds. I'm living in the mountains. I have more emeralds than diamonds. And you're totally right about people skipping the previous tiers. But, that can only happen now because it was changed. And it didn't need to be. It never needed to be a choice. There's no upside to that for anyone. It just means you can no longer have the final product you're going for. If it remained tiered, you'd have all the reason in the world to make the other spikes leading eventually up to the full final product you're working for.
I get what you're saying, but I hope you understand if the dev is more interested in making a product that *he* finds fun over a product that *you* find fun.
"There's no upside to that for anyone." --> I disagree with this. There's an upside for people like me who are interested in overcoming annoying logistical problems.

"If it remained tiered, you'd have all the reason in the world to make the other spikes leading eventually up to the full final product you're working for. " --> You'd have one reason: to use in a recipe, but rarely as a block. And those kinds of iterative recipes are kind of annoying to a lot of players :p