Ars Magica 2 updates and AnimationAPI

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
As some have noticed Ars Magica 2 has been updated but this require the library AnimatedAPI which it seems is not distributable.

Are other modpackers going to update Ars Magica? I sent a pm to the 2 authors and probably there will be an answer in the next days if everybody keep patient and calm, but what would other people suggests? Not to update?

And what about the official ftb packs, are you guys going to update? Since maybe many of you know those 2 authors directly would you be so kind to ask for an official statement?

Thank you so much for your time.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
AnimatedAPI which it seems is not distributable.
Wrong.
TheHippoMaster21 said:
This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER. ANY attempts to make money off of this MOD (selling, selling modified versions, adfly, sharecash, etc.) are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and the OWNER may claim damages or take other action to rectify the situation.

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
SatanicSanta, english is not my native language so i might have misunderstood, could you explain to me in a gay ( as in happy ) manner because as far as I understood from those 3 lines only the author can distribute it and your reply is incomplete.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
SatanicSanta, english is not my native language so i might have misunderstood, could you explain to me in a gay ( as in happy ) manner because as far as I understood from those 3 lines only the author can distribute it and your reply is incomplete.

Man, there are two parts in his copyright spoiler:

Terms and conditions for the mod in your mod pack
2. USE said:
Use of this MOD to be installed, manually or automatically, is given to the USER without restriction.

This is straightforward. You can redistribute AnimationAPI in a mod pack for the explicit purposes of playing modded Minecraft, without any problems.

Then there is the next clause which was also linked by @SatanicSanta. This deals with the terms and conditions for the mod to be hosted somewhere on another website, other than hippomaster's MCF pages. For example websites such as minecraftmods.com planetminecraft.com etc., that also host the same mods

3. REDISTRIBUTION said:
This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER. ANY attempts to make money off of this MOD (selling, selling modified versions, adfly, sharecash, etc.) are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and the OWNER may claim damages or take other action to rectify the situation.

^^ No other site can host his mods, unless he has explicitly given them permission to do so.

So, you can redistribute AnimationAPI in a mod pack for the explicit purposes of playing modded Minecraft, without any problems. Does it make sense now?

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
I tought that USE and DISTRIBUTION where 2 separate things.

Isn't distributing a mod inside a zip with other mods redistribution of a mod?

So if I put that library in the zip of my modpack and I put it on my website am I not distributing the mod?

Can there be an official statement by the author and not "by some guys on a forum"? Thank you so much.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I tought that USE and DISTRIBUTION where 2 separate things.

Isn't distributing a mod inside a zip with other mods redistribution of a mod?

So if I put that library in the zip of my modpack and I put it on my website am I not distributing the mod?

Can there be an official statement by the author and not "by some guys on a forum"? Thank you so much.

Hello, this is "some guy in a forum" and I am offended by your reply.

First off, "English is not my main language" doesn't give you some automatic licence to be rude. As a corollary to that, being rude is not a fashion statement either.

Read carefully again:
Use of this MOD to be installed, manually or automatically, is given to the USER without restriction.

Now think carefully what you are doing with modpacks? You "install it" on a player's disk, either "manually or automatically" based on your type of distribution. While you are right that this act can technically be called as a "redistribution", the author has worded his permission to make it clear that he allows this type of redistribution (is given to the USER without restriction).

Clause 3 deals with situations that does not cover a "modpack distribution situation". Unless you are making money from your modpack, at which point, we will ask thehippomaster21 to set the hunting dogs on you! :p

I sent a pm to the 2 authors and probably there will be an answer in the next days if everybody keep patient and calm, but what would other people suggests? Not to update?

^^ You specifically asked "what would other people suggests?". I am "other people". I took my time to reply to you, out of consideration, and you are being rude to my reply without bothering to understand what is written.

^^ You have also sent a PM to the authors. So, why did you come to this forum anyway and ask this question to random people, and expect only authors to reply to this thread?

You are not a very nice person if you behave like this, you know?

Also, I am sorry for being annoyed in this reply.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, this is "some guy in a forum" and I am offended by your reply.

First off, "English is not my main language" doesn't give you some automatic licence to be rude. As a corollary to that, being rude is not a fashion statement either.

^^ You specifically asked "what would other people suggests?". I am "other people". I took my time to reply to you, out of consideration, and you are being rude to my reply without bothering to understand what is written.

^^ You have also sent a PM to the authors. So, why did you come to this forum anyway and ask this question to random people, and expect only authors to reply to this thread?

You are not a very nice person if you behave like this, you know?

Also, I am sorry for being annoyed in this reply.

I did not mean to be rude, pardon me, I would like to apologise, I had in the last months a precedent of somebody in a forum telling me to go "one way" and then a mod author contacting me to tell I was doing wrong, again pardon me. :oops:
I did not meant by using "some guys on a forum" in the way you think I have.
Your explanation is pretty exaustive, and I asked here because this is a discussion forum right? And I did not meant to expect only authors of mods to answer but also more experienced modpacks assemblers/collection makers.

Again, apologies for sounding rude, that was not the point, I found very rude SatanicSanta answeing with a oneliner and I just got overdefensive.

Just to be sure, in case I get an answer from hippomaster I will quote it here to complete your reply and make it clear for others like me.

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
Man, there are two parts in his copyright spoiler:

Terms and conditions for the mod in your mod pack

This is straightforward. You can redistribute AnimationAPI in a mod pack for the explicit purposes of playing modded Minecraft, without any problems.

Then there is the next clause which was also linked by SatanicSanta. This deals with the terms and conditions for the mod to be hosted somewhere on another website, other than hippomaster's MCF pages. For example websites such as minecraftmods.com planetminecraft.com etc., that also host the same mods

^^ No other site can host his mods, unless he has explicitly given them permission to do so.

So, you can redistribute AnimationAPI in a mod pack for the explicit purposes of playing modded Minecraft, without any problems. Does it make sense now?
I wish I had seen this before I PMed Hippo :oops:

Reactions: Ganjalf_The_Green

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like there is a little bit lost in translation with this

This only covers the End User. You, Me, anybody who is not a modpack creator, can download and use this mod with no restriction whatsoever.

This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER.

This clause is very important. This states that as a modpack creator, you may not upload this addon anywhere yourself without prior written permission. This includes uploading to a host for distribution.

ATLauncher is the only workaround that I know of. It will allow your users to install the mod from the author's mirror almost automagically.

the author has worded his permission to make it clear that he allows this type of redistribution (is given to the USER without restriction).

Yes but redistribution is not the same thing as use. He has given the user the right to use without restriction, but modpack creators such as our friend @Ganjalf_The_Green still need to follow the rules and get permission to use in their pack, or distribute it in such a way that it stays in step with the copyright (ATLauncher, for example).

from redistribution:
"This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely."

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, we can go back and forth over this for a very long time based on our own interpretation of what constitutes as "appropriate" for this mod (cf., yesterday's replies and today's response from you). I'm personally done.

I'm simply going to wait for feedback from the OP what the mod dev has to say on this matter.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
We're not going back and forth. I'm reading the terms of use as laid out by the author, using dictionary definitions for terms such as User and Owner. My bad?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to know if its even a good idea to bother updating to the new version. One reason Im playing 1.6.4 is because the mods are old and stable. The new AM2 seems like a drastic overhaul.

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
I got an answer from hippo ( he is always very kind in answering ):

Quote from thehippomaster21 »
This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must have advance written permission from the OWNER.
The copyright is intended the way midi_sec explained it. If it were the other way suggested by AlCapella, wouldn't it render above line pointless? Regardless, if I remember correctly, I've recently given the creator of ArsMagica the permission to distribute the AnimationAPI.

Hope this helps, I'm sorry you all had to start accidentally insulting and apologizing to each other just to get a point across :)

Let me know if somebody wants the actual screenshot of the conversation.

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I got an answer from hippo ( he is always very kind in answering ):

Let me know if somebody wants the actual screenshot of the conversation.

No, I don't need one. Frankly, it would have been nice/polite of him to reply here directly if he were reading all this himself and quoting this over to you.

Secondly, I may sound like a sore loser here, but I still think the whole thing is open-ended in its wording (whether English is one's first, second or forced language). So, if hippo is reading this, he should consider adding the wording "this includes modpack creators" to clarify the "correctly intended" meaning in his clause 3.

This is turning out to be one of those threads I regret wading into.
Over and out.

Ganjalf_The_Green

Jul 29, 2019
I feel you AlCappella, but hey, better safe than sorry some people say, at least we did not started insulting heavilly each others ;)

q^c^p