Ars Magica 2 - Ender Affinity?

Eravel

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, just a quick question about Affinities in AM2. So, I've decided to be a healer, meaning I use alot of heal spells. However, I read about how a high enough Life affinity will mean I get the Nausea debuff every single time I kill anything. Apparently, using the opposite element will help counteract this, meaning Ender Affinity. The problem is, what can I do to gain Ender Affinity? I've already tried searching, there's nothing on what spells or abilities will cause a gain in this. I want to balance out between Life/Ender to avoid their drawbacks. Thanks in advance ^^

aloy99

Jul 29, 2019
You can try things like Self - Divine Intervention to teleport to your spawn, Projectile - Mark - Self - Recall as a really cool ender pearl!

Eravel

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so the teleportation/transport spells do it. Are there any other spells? Thanks for the help, gonna be rushing to unlock them.

Edit: Interestingly, the Shield component will decrease Life Affinity.

Last edited:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I also believe that you can do... something to dark mages, so they drop NONE affinity tomes (effectively resetting your affinity depth).
I believe it's a disarming spell... not sure, though.
Do you just want to get rid of the affinity to life, or do you want to keep it but not be affected by it?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I also believe that you can do... something to dark mages, so they drop NONE affinity tomes (effectively resetting your affinity depth).
Do you just want to get rid of the affinity to life, or do you want to keep it but not be affected by it?
NONE toMes are bugged IIRC

Eravel

Jul 29, 2019

I just don't want to have any affinities at all. Although some of the bonuses sound nice, I really want to just keep myself with no drawbacks.

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
I just don't want to have any affinities at all. Although some of the bonuses sound nice, I really want to just keep myself with no drawbacks.
It would be good then to use a range of spells that has different affinities, to prevent you form going too deep into a certain affinity. If you want to gain some of their bonuses, I think a depth of 30 - 80% would be good enough that you get one/some of the buffs without the debuffs.
Personally, with enough Tinker's Construct Hearts and a Nightfall spell in hand, I wouldn't mind going into 100% of the Ender affinity.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
It would be good then to use a range of spells that has different affinities, to prevent you form going too deep into a certain affinity. If you want to gain some of their bonuses, I think a depth of 30 - 80% would be good enough that you get one/some of the buffs without the debuffs.
Personally, with enough Tinker's Construct Hearts and a Nightfall spell in hand, I wouldn't mind going into 100% of the Ender affinity.
Do you have any idea how long that would take...?
I always seem to tend toward life/nature because of my healing spells. However, I want to have the affinity of ice, water, or lightning.
That's going to be a while for either the buffs or debuffs to occur.

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
It didn't take a long time for me to reach around 33% in the Ender affinity. Around that point was when I notice that the poison resistance portion of that affinity turned green.
Although I'm been trying to get another affinity in and yeah... It's taking awhile.

Eravel

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, was playing around on a server, I'm limiting my usage of healing spells until I get an arcane spell I know I'll be using frequently. After looking at it, Arcane grants 5% reduced mana costs + a chance for a spell to cost no mana at 100% affinity. As a downside, I take additional magic damage (bosses are going to be hitting harder... alot harder). Thanks for the help, everyone ^^ I won't mind having heavy Arcane if it keeps Life affinity down.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The drawbacks are part of a double edged sword; great boons, but at a price...
Unless you go for ender. Then it's a crappy boon with some strings attached... to a tripwire hook that sets off a antimatter explosive.

That said, when you write a spell(before you craft it, I mean), you get a affinity lowdown. No to see ahead of time without some insight into the code, but that's hardly a issue.

That said, Life Affinity is actually a very strong boon, with a meh downside. Yes, Nausea may make YOU sick, but it's a short version and it's still a potion effect, a dispel magic effect tied to your heal spell would be a great choice.

...So would be getting the next update for AM2 when it comes out, mind you. The downsides are somewhat fixed. Such as Lightning Rod being removed. Now THERE is a needed fix.

Eravel

Jul 29, 2019
I realized the affinity rundown at the end of the book a couple days ago, started compiling a list of spells that corresponded with each Affinity here: http://am2.wikia.com/wiki/Affinities. How do affinity gains work if a component naturally has more than two affinities? Life Tap has both Life and Ender, would this mean you'd get gains in neither, or would both increase, albeit (very) slowly due to not being the same affinity?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I realized the affinity rundown at the end of the book a couple days ago, started compiling a list of spells that corresponded with each Affinity here: http://am2.wikia.com/wiki/Affinities. How do affinity gains work if a component naturally has more than two affinities? Life Tap has both Life and Ender, would this mean you'd get gains in neither, or would both increase, albeit (very) slowly due to not being the same affinity?
Both increase
With heal regen self you get nature and life affinities

FlashFire

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, was playing around on a server, I'm limiting my usage of healing spells until I get an arcane spell I know I'll be using frequently. After looking at it, Arcane grants 5% reduced mana costs + a chance for a spell to cost no mana at 100% affinity. As a downside, I take additional magic damage (bosses are going to be hitting harder... alot harder). Thanks for the help, everyone ^^ I won't mind having heavy Arcane if it keeps Life affinity down.

You could use Mana Shield to sacrifice some mana instead of taking damage