Ars Magica 2 community spellbook

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Everybody loves Succubism. If I ever disappear for a long period of time I wouldn't mind if she does her own version.

It has been updated with some spell requests I got, and I'm thinking about what to add next. Some people might appreciate a guide to boss summoning; it's technically all in the Compendium but some of them have mildly tricky requirements and some are kinda hard to kill.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
well, some fun facts.

The way that the air guardian makes wirlwind attacks is by creating entities. It's thus possible to be entirely shielded from it if you keep your distance and by using anything that repels monsters, the Thaumcraft stones of warding don't quite work as they fly over the top.

The TT corporeal attractor is a good one to use.

Also, any form of fire resistance makes you completely immune to the fire guardian.

Obelisk429

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone had any luck getting the Accelerate component to do anything? No matter what combination I have it in it seems to do absolutely nothing and it never gives XP when cast. Any suggestions?

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
How could you use Ars the best when Pvping? It can get kinda hard to hit people when they're jumping around in powersuits. Maybe a spell shape you can add after a Contingency: Health attacking the guy? Or just some Aiming spell component?

Obelisk429

Jul 29, 2019
How could you use Ars the best when Pvping? It can get kinda hard to hit people when they're jumping around in powersuits. Maybe a spell shape you can add after a Contingency: Health attacking the guy? Or just some Aiming spell component?
I've recently had the idea to use the Attract component in combination with an aoe damage spell, maybe even the offensive silver ones. Not sure how effective it would be against people in powersuits, though. Flight control might just completely null the attract thing.

I was thinking of doing this: Projectile - Zone - Duration x 3 - Starstrike - Damage x 3 - Attract

I'll let you know how it works after trying it out.

Oracle of Wuffing

Jul 29, 2019
"The Magical Q Button"
Self | Disarm

If, for some odd reason, you don't want to magically dig holes or place hundreds of torches to gain Wizard Levels, you may cast this spell every 5-10 seconds for guaranteed experience. For best results, use a means of collecting dropped items directly to you, such as but not limited to Telekinesis, Thaumic Tinkerer's Kinetic Attractor, Dartcraft's Magnet Glove, MineFactory Reloaded's Conveyor Belts, Reliquary's Coin of Fortune, or a setup involving standing on hoppers and your favorite item transportation system. Or just get a bunch of friends together and pass the spell in a circle so you all gain experience.

I say this because this is how at least four people on my server got to level 30... :confused:

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019

PVP in FTB is kind of not fun and is sometimes literally hide and go seek with bazookas. If they find your base you're probably going to die and there's very little you can do to stop it.

If I have some early warning I will stealth, hide in a corner, and get ready to shoot them in the back with a basic projectile spell. I considered AoE and touch but they only work at very short ranges and projectile spells are more or less instant if you are close. There's velocity added on one of my example PVP spells too, which makes the projectile fly slightly faster.

I wouldn't use Ars spells in a friendly duel for the same reason I wouldn't bring a fire hose to a super soaker battle, but if two players in power armor did have a midair fight to the death I'd suggest AoE or point blank projectiles.

aloy99

Jul 29, 2019
I was considering the possibility of an ender pearl spell. Has anyone tried this before: Projectile|Mark|Duration|Duration|Self|Recall

Reactions: Padfoote

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I was considering the possibility of an ender pearl spell. Has anyone tried this before: Projectile|Mark|Duration|Duration|Self|Recall

The concept works and you've been credited. Range is the modifier for hitting at a greater distance, duration is for buff length.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Runes are a good idea, as is using Magic Damage rather then fire or physical. If you can't hit 'em with projectile, then try using Beam, it's easier to hit as it's pretty much instant if they are within range.
Plus I suggest Magic Damage as most armor's don't protect against it.

aloy99

Jul 29, 2019
The concept works and you've been credited. Range is the modifier for hitting at a greater distance, duration is for buff length.
I was afraid that if you were aiming far away, the self recall would act before the projectile hit a location. So it only works once the projectile has hit a target?

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I was afraid that if you were aiming far away, the self recall would act before the projectile hit a location. So it only works once the projectile has hit a target?

I think the way the grammar works, it's interpreted like projectile(mark,(self(recall))).

Go to the inscription table in creative, put in some symbols, and hit "make spell" in the top left. Maybe throw in some velocity added and range. It functions almost exactly like limitless enderpearls.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Runes are a good idea, as is using Magic Damage rather then fire or physical. If you can't hit 'em with projectile, then try using Beam, it's easier to hit as it's pretty much instant if they are within range.
Plus I suggest Magic Damage as most armor's don't protect against it.
Yeah. I would have used Magic Damage anyways. But isn't there a way to directly affect someone hitting me when I'm running a Contingency? I'm not too experienced in these.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I would have used Magic Damage anyways. But isn't there a way to directly affect someone hitting me when I'm running a Contingency? I'm not too experienced in these.
that would be Contingency: Damage

Will cast the spell on whatever causes you damage, but they're kinda like a ward, so you cast it once, and it will stay on you until you do something to activate it, so in a fight you'd have to keep on recasting it, but it'd work by constantly damaging them whenever they got a hit in on you

Obelisk429

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you have Contingency: Damage set up to hit someone who attacks you but also Has Contingency: Damage? Would you getting hit in turn hurt him which would hurt you again? Has anybody tried something like this yet?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you have Contingency: Damage set up to hit someone who attacks you but also Has Contingency: Damage? Would you getting hit in turn hurt him which would hurt you again? Has anybody tried something like this yet?
Contingencies only activate once before you need to recast them to protect yourself

So in that case, first guy gets hit, second guy gets hit, first guy gets hit. That's as far as it goes.

EDIT: The trick to a contingency like that is you set it up so that it would pretty much one hit anybody who hit you, because the mana cost is irrelevant as you can cast it at your base 3 hours before it is actually used.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
that would be Contingency: Damage

Will cast the spell on whatever causes you damage, but they're kinda like a ward, so you cast it once, and it will stay on you until you do something to activate it, so in a fight you'd have to keep on recasting it, but it'd work by constantly damaging them whenever they got a hit in on you
I'm still kinda confused. Wouldn't I need another shape after that? Could you maybe put up a very simple spell which does damage to a guy when I get hit by him. I'm still learning the grammar in bigger spells.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still kinda confused. Wouldn't I need another shape after that? Could you maybe put up a very simple spell which does damage to a guy when I get hit by him. I'm still learning the grammar in bigger spells.

Yeah, you need a shape. If it's projectile then you shoot a projectile in whichever direction you happen to be facing when hit, so we're going to have to go with AoE or spells with their own built-in AoE.

>Contingency: Damage | Self | Firestorm | Blizzard

This will immobilize and murderize anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby when you take damage from any source. Zombie hits you while you're in the sheep pen? Oh well. It is also guaranteed that nobody will steal your gear, because it is getting destroyed by the firestorm effect as soon as you die.

I've put another example in the defense section that's a bit more subtle. There's probably a way to both kill the bad guy and keep your stuff if you die randomly using zone spells, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: kaiomann

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you need a shape. If it's projectile then you shoot a projectile in whichever direction you happen to be facing when hit, so we're going to have to go with AoE or spells with their own built-in AoE.

>Contingency: Damage | Self | Firestorm | Blizzard

This will immobilize and murderize anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby when you take damage from any source. Zombie hits you while you're in the sheep pen? Oh well. It is also guaranteed that nobody will steal your gear, because it is getting destroyed by the firestorm effect as soon as you die.

I've put another example in the defense section that's a bit more subtle. There's probably a way to both kill the bad guy and keep your stuff if you die randomly using zone spells, but I'm not sure.
Think I kinda got it now. My plan is basically to combine all Evil into a Contingency: Damage | AoE | Blind | Disarm | Slow | Other kinds of debuffs | Fuckton of damage component (Probably Blizzard)

Reactions: SGTkuzey

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Fun fact of the day:
The AM2 Bees that produce essences are just named after the german translation for the essence. For example a Erde Bee makes earth essence.

Reactions: Padfoote