Ars Magica 2 community spellbook

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Projectile | Radius | Radius | Radius | AoE | Light

Spammable light clusters. Ok brightness on crescent moon, really lights up a room on full moon, and isn't hell on your mana. (not really sure if the Radius stuff does much, but included it anyway).

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Let me express two conditions in which I'd make the AM2 Cheat Sheet.

First off; the OP of this thread wouldn't mind, being the current repository for knowledge for AM2 I wouldn't want to potentially step on their toes.
Second, the cheat sheet would be made without permission, regardless of Mithion's approval. Critique and informative information of the mod is by right mine to publicize so long as I don't slander him or his mod or interfere or claim ownership of the content. That said should I think the FTB staff would pander to the modder's request to terminate the post, I won't compromise the existing cheat sheets by putting myself in that position and risk the integrity of my account and the other cheat sheets.

Not to say I question the staff's judgement, but I remain suspicious that my right will be denied so long as they cater first and foremost to modders before their community.

EDIT: I've posed the following question to Mithion himself on the MCF.
http://pastebin.com/TpEu5cj9
I'm also going to post this on my TC4 Cheat Sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusunoha

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Let me express two conditions in which I'd make the AM2 Cheat Sheet.

First off; the OP of this thread wouldn't mind, being the current repository for knowledge for AM2 I wouldn't want to potentially step on their toes.
Second, the cheat sheet would be made without permission, regardless of Mithion's approval. Critique and informative information of the mod is by right mine to publicize so long as I don't slander him or his mod or interfere or claim ownership of the content. That said should I think the FTB staff would pander to the modder's request to terminate the post, I won't compromise the existing cheat sheets by putting myself in that position and risk the integrity of my account and the other cheat sheets.

Not to say I question the staff's judgement, but I remain suspicious that my right will be denied so long as they cater first and foremost to modders before their community.

EDIT: I've posed the following question to Mithion himself on the MCF.
http://pastebin.com/TpEu5cj9
I'm also going to post this on my TC4 Cheat Sheet.

it would be awesome if you could make a cheatsheet for Ars Magica aswell, but I can understand completely if you decide not to due to not having enough time for it, it's already amazing how much you've done for the thaumcraft sheets.
one thing that I always noticed about Ars Magica is that most people think it's not that good and don't really bother trying it out, but as posted in this topic, if you know the right combinations, you can have very powerful spells. but seeing as there's not so many guides on how to get these kind of spells, alot of people don't know how strong Ars Magica really is

Reactions: Tornado3019

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Well, hiding the skill tree isn't exactly helpful if no one knows whats down there. Wasting time for the possibility of finding something cool isn't exactly a great motivator. Tho I did see in DW20s vid where all the names of the skills were in english, so that's at least some possible change coming.

Edit: tho I have to admit, making it so we can fight bosses for skill points, rather than restricted to just points for leveling, makes hiding the skill names ok.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Tho I did see in DW20s vid where all the names of the skills were in english, so that's at least some possible change coming.

It's already like this in the release versions. You can read what each skill is just by mousing over them.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
My only real complaint with AM2 is that it's difficult to know the effect of unlocked components/shapes before you go through the trouble of crafting the spell. For example; Radius. What exactly is the effect of Radius? Does stacking Radius increase the....radius? Radius + AoE = Moar AoE? The mechanics of these sort of things is what annoys me with AM2...the actual crafting of spells, and the method of points being attained is pretty cool.

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
My only real complaint with AM2 is that it's difficult to know the effect of unlocked components/shapes before you go through the trouble of crafting the spell. For example; Radius. What exactly is the effect of Radius? Does stacking Radius increase the....radius? Radius + AoE = Moar AoE? The mechanics of these sort of things is what annoys me with AM2...the actual crafting of spells, and the method of points being attained is pretty cool.

that's my problem with Ars Magica... it lacks some of the documentation that's really needed to figure these kind of things out

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
^I could attempt a project like this.... But I start school tomorrow, let's see if I can do it all in 1 day XD
I might just do a bit of documentation on what all the parts of a spell do and the grammar of the spell system.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Most, but not all, things in AM2 are documented... in that same book you got when you first BECAME a mage. If you lost it, same deal to get a new one. Your Arcane Compendium has most of the info you will ever need. Not all, mind you, but still, most is enough usually.

Obelisk429

Jul 29, 2019
Edited to include silver-level spell unlocks.
Is that whole thing really the recipe for mana shield? I only ask because it looks like the recipes for Moonrise and Sunlight are tacked onto the end of what appears to be the recipe for mana shield (to me at least).

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Most, but not all, things in AM2 are documented... in that same book you got when you first BECAME a mage. If you lost it, same deal to get a new one. Your Arcane Compendium has most of the info you will ever need. Not all, mind you, but still, most is enough usually.
Well, no. The AM2 compendium is very underwritten given the complexity of the system---the vast, vast majority of questions people will have when tackling more advanced spells are simply not adequately addressed by the paucity of detail in the write-ups for components, shapes and---especially---modifiers.

The unnecessarily cryptic write-ups for some entries are especially annoying.

Reactions: loboca

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Is that whole thing really the recipe for mana shield? I only ask because it looks like the recipes for Moonrise and Sunlight are tacked onto the end of what appears to be the recipe for mana shield (to me at least).

I read the code wrong. This has been corrected.

Obelisk429

Jul 29, 2019
Question about using the spell shape Chain. In the arcane compendium it says: "...the number of jumps can be increased by using Procs." Can anyone elaborate on how to do this? B/c I haven't figured it out yet.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah I almost forgot about this.

So. I spoke to my Skype Chat about it. (We talk about more than Thaumcraft~ ;]) and to AM2's author himself about this. Honestly? I think this is too much for one person alone to make into a thread. I think this thread has the right idea of making it a community thing so I support this direction more than myself just making a cheat sheet.

You could argue that it wouldn't be too much for me alone because in a sense the Cheat Sheets are a community project. Well like I said, this thread exists as a Community topic. So why should I step on it's toes?

Sorry guys. An AM2 Cheat Sheet It ain't happening. At least not by me. Love the mod though.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah I almost forgot about this.

So. I spoke to my Skype Chat about it. (We talk about more than Thaumcraft~ ;]) and to AM2's author himself about this. Honestly? I think this is too much for one person alone to make into a thread. I think this thread has the right idea of making it a community thing so I support this direction more than myself just making a cheat sheet.

You could argue that it wouldn't be too much for me alone because in a sense the Cheat Sheets are a community project. Well like I said, this thread exists as a Community topic. So why should I step on it's toes?

Sorry guys. An AM2 Cheat Sheet It ain't happening. At least not by me. Love the mod though.

it's already very nice of you for having considered it. and I agree on the part that this being just too much for 1 person to handle it all.
now we just need to find a way to collect all the information in a compact and orderly fashion, and create it into a guide