Are we ever going to get a new FTB pyramid map?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Desertedbart

Jul 29, 2019
I remember the old FTB pyramid map from 1.2.5, which was always really fun to play. I also remember talk of remaking it, but that never seemed to have happened. Will we ever get to see a new pyramid map for 1.7 or 1.8, or any other versions?

Reactions: Wagon153

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
Why the heck would we need one. The HQM quest system takes the place of a cumbersome Beast easily...

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Why the heck would we need one. The HQM quest system takes the place of a cumbersome Beast easily...
I disagree. The actual Adventure Map portion of the Pyramid is the important bit; and I do actually mean Adventure. Stuff like Agrarian Skies is a Survival Map, but you aren't progressing through the map as much as the quests. It's a fundamental design thing that I don't think is immediately obvious.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
There is a certain stylistic charm to having a BEAST to battle against.

The loss of redpower that was so important in the 1.2.5 pyramids was a big blow.

The good news is that steves factory manager might be robust enough to handle an entire BEAST worth of requirements.

Computercraft is getting more and more robust over time, and the ability to interact with command blocks also gives a possible path.

Either of these can be combined with HQM, having the book giving you "magical keys" that unlock the chambers of the pyramid. The chambers rewarding "chapters" that reveal the next portion of the quest in the book.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
There is a certain stylistic charm to having a BEAST to battle against.

The loss of redpower that was so important in the 1.2.5 pyramids was a big blow.

The good news is that steves factory manager might be robust enough to handle an entire BEAST worth of requirements.

Computercraft is getting more and more robust over time, and the ability to interact with command blocks also gives a possible path.

Either of these can be combined with HQM, having the book giving you "magical keys" that unlock the chambers of the pyramid. The chambers rewarding "chapters" that reveal the next portion of the quest in the book.
This. XD

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I honestly had more fun with the classic pyramids than with HQM-oriented maps. And you can play them over and over and always create a different world, where as the newer ones are very linear. I've seen it said elsewhere in a less friendly way, but I agree with the sentiment: FTB only seems to make custom maps for PAX events nowadays, and just as a means of promotion. So they're all designed for speed runs and to not be too daunting rather than be proper challenges for the community at large to enjoy.

I can still remember them streaming one of the older 1.2.5 maps over an entire weekend with like half a dozen or more of them playing together, and someone on the server at all times, and it still taking them forever to finish it. That was fun.

Reactions: Wagon153

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I should also say that we only of late learned again how to cheat entropy properly.

In the dark ages without EE, and before the rise of Ex Nihilo, it would have been a very strange beast indeed. Not completely impossible, there's still creative mode goodies that can hand out more then they take in, and those could have been piped within the beast to trade-o-mats and forestry trade machines as you unlocked them. The mechanic would have ended up with you bringing piles of low level resources to the chambers of the beast, then bringing back the proper raw materials. You'd then construct the items, and take them back to The BEAST...

... sounds a little like the economic history of European Colonization, if you think about it.