Are there standard containers that can open if a solid block is on top?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Chest can't open if there is a solid block on top, and that's occasionally annoying. Are there containers that work just like chests, but which I can open if stuck in a wall?

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use an inverted stair as the top block, and it'll still allow the chest to open.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
My problem: the block on top is a functional block that I can't replace with an inverted stair or a microblock. It's not a "storage" chest, but a chest which is part of a farming setup, and I can't put it one level lower because then I'd be breaking through the ceiling of the room below.

Also, barrels are no solution because they can only hold one item time. Filing cabinets are also no solution because they can only store variants of one item type.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If it's part of an automated setup you should be able to set it up in such a way that you don't need to open it.

If you just want to periodically check storage levels you can whack a comparator on it

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Or if you want to see the exact amounts of items sorted by type of item then you can use a computer/turtle you can also use a turtle to get the items out of it if you need them

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'll have to check the ender chests. Does that include those from the mod or only the vanilla one?

Meanwhile, yes I know there are workarounds, but nothing is as simple as simply opening the chest. I can look remotely into it using various means and I can pipe stuff out without having to open it, but that's such a hassle if all I want to do is to check what's in it once in a while. I can't believe nobody has ever made a standard container that, say, opens to the front.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
derp, a turtle should also do the job now that I think about it, it only has a smaller inventory then a chest

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
derp, a turtle should also do the job now that I think about it, it only has a smaller inventory then a chest
Use a turtle as a container? That never occurred to me. A small inventory is no problem. If there's more than three slots filled in that chest something went wrong anyway.

@Renton Terrace:
I have never come across a mod that adds lockers. Maybe I just missed it in the hundreds of mods in the bigger packs. Can you point me to one?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Use a turtle as a container? That never occurred to me. A small inventory is no problem. If there's more than three slots filled in that chest something went wrong anyway.

Why do you think that my first suggestion was to use a turtle to read the inventory from the chest as a workaround ;)

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
A vanilla double chest should open with one of its chests covered, so long as you open the one that doesn't have a block on top of it. I haven't used this in forever so it might have changed, but it's a nice vanilla feature.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Carpenter's Safe from Carpenter's Blocks opens even if there's something on top.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
All right. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess TE's strongboxes are the best candidates, since they're least likely to behave unlike standard chests where it matters. I'll also look into the Carpenter's Safe.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Later today RFTools 2.90 will be released with a new storage system. These can also open just fine even if there are blocks above it.

You seem to like it to recommend features rftools has, I wonder why:p