Are there many of us?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
In this thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/nominations-for-forum-moderators.26791/page-4

KirinDave said the following:

The forum regulars are a small group. Active modded minecraft players worldwide would probably barely fill up a basketball arena.

I was really suprised by this and assumed the FTB community was huge. Do any of the mods have a rough idea of how many people play or use the FTB Launcher (Not the forums since not all users visit us).

Did everyone else think it was a big/small community?

Infallible

biomirth

Jul 29, 2019
I've wondered this myself. Experience with other modded games suggests that it is a very small proportion of players that dip into mods. Something like 1/50th read or post on forums about the game they play and I'd guess it's a fraction thereof that venture into mods. If 1/20th of those venturing online for the love of their game then go into using mods, that'd be 1/1000th of original users. With 10,000,000 MC downloads that is still 10,000 mod users, which seems a pretty believable figure.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds very reasonable, but these forums have 50k members. In theory, that means about 500 regular posters and about 5 milion FTB users :D. Which is about half the minecraft population, which just doesn't sound quite right.

I'm sure the guys runnin' the system could give us a fairly precise number, but that's against all policies, so... But yeah, I'm wondering myself.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB team has statistics about how often each pack on the launcher is launched.

Also, many mods implement tracking code that allows the owner to know how much their mod is used as well. For example, try and look at modstats.cfg in your config file directory; that is a part of Forge that offers exactly this kind of tracking functionality to Forge mods.

Therefore, we don't really need to speculate how many people are playing modded Minecraft. Instead, asking the right people should produce fairly representative numbers for actual usage. ;)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm fairly certain that tracking unique loggins shouldn't be hard either. That should pretty much give you the exact number -10~20% for burnouts/tests.

But as I've said, I can't see anyone in such a position give such info publicly and without persuasion.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf has what... 250K subscribers? I think that shows there are more than 10K tech mod players. I play with 4 friends and im the only one who has ever watched a direwolf video, or subscribed to his feed, so i think it is safe to say there are more tech mod players than there are direwolf subscribers.

Its obvious that tech modders are a minority in general though, just look at Skydoesminecraft on youtube. millions of subscribers who apparently enjoy watching someone run around like a maniac, scream a lot, and shout 'budder!' over and over. Compre this to direwolf's subscribers and id say that tech modding is just a small part of minecraft in general. Which makes sense.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I am sad that curiousity about how others sharing our interests needs to have a motive. I thought it would generating some conversation. Should we all get our tinfoil hats?
i just cant get why care about numbers that doesnt provide any useful info. even if i know how many people out there playing with mod, it simply wont change anything to me.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Of the mods on minecraftforum that i've seen that track their downloads, the most popular ones have 20~30k downloads, so, definitely more people than a basketball court that play modded Minecraft. If we are willing to concede that most players that want to play modded minecraft WON'T want to mess around with configs and files, and i think that's the case, i'm guessing the majority of modded minecraft players are split between Tekkit/Technic and FTB, as well as the variety of packs offered by these launchers, as they are the most popular.

I think the FTB community is pretty large, partly due to the fact that popular youtubers such as Etho & the Mindcrackers set up FTB servers and streamed them, as well as Direwolf20 and the Forge guys that work on the FTB team and all. If i were to wager a guess, i think less than half of the total of players of minecraft play modded minecraft. Probably around 25 or 30% or such.

And yes, i'm pulling these numbers out of my ass with no way to back them. Deal with it ;)

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
now i`m curious. why would people even care about such info?
There are practical ramifications for mod developers or community managers, since the total number of users drastically changes the proper solution for things like file hosting, server design, and even forum tools. With the possible exclusion of Forge itself, no one's really taking that place, but it's a necessary part of knowing whether anyone can or should.

For most, it's a matter of curiosity. The number of folk playing a game changes the chances of interacting with such a person randomly in real life.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
A while back, one of the Technic Devs mentioned that all of the Technic Packs had reached a cumulative of 1 million, I'll see if I can dig that up.

EDIT: Nope! No luck, but that should at least give you a starting point. Mind you, that was from a while ago and Modded Minecraft has grown like clockwork since then, the number is probably much higher.