Are Dimension Mods Client Side mods?

Discussion in 'Mod Development' started by Baaleos, May 10, 2016.

1. Baaleos

Baaleos New Member

I've been looking at the source of some example tutorial mods.
    I can see sections of code that will be tagged as @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

This obviously means that the code runs on the client, but what I am unsure about is : does it require the client to have the mod's jar file.

Basically want to know - if I create a new dimension with new biomes etc, do players who play on my server need to have the mod file in order to get in and see the new dimension/biomes?

2. RealKC

RealKC Popular Member

Yes, the client needs the mod because without it, it doesn't know how to render the blocks.

3. McJty

McJty Over-Achiever Mod Developer

Dimension mods exist both on server and client

4. Azzanine

Azzanine New Member

Depends on the dimension mod. When I played Vanilla I would sometimes join a server that would make alternate dimensions with plugins. For those I did not need a client on my side.
    However something like say Erebus or Twilight forest you will need server and client to match as it adds new assets and code.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. Moritz30

Moritz30 New Member

It depends. If the mod needs no new block and so it should work. Otherwise not.

6. RealKC

RealKC Popular Member

Look, a necromancer!

7. Strikingwolf

Strikingwolf New Member

Eh it's not terrible necromancy

But as the previous people said if the mod does anything involving rendering then yes, otherwise I doubt it

8. Azzanine

Azzanine New Member

Actually if the mod adds an asset or class that's not vanilla that needs it's states validated by the server.