Are Big Reactor Turbines Worth It?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

H3lios

It seems to me like they aren't. I built a turbine according to the optimal specs, 80 blades, 10 shafts, 32 ludicite. Revved it up to 1800 RPM and it only produced 28k RF/t. The reactor I used to provide the steam, when passively cooled, produces 70k RF/t. Am I missing something or is it just pointless to build a turbine when my reactor is nearly 3 times as powerful on it's own.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Okay, but figure you're going to be running at least three turbines off of that single reactor in it's actively cooled mode. So that's 90k RF/t. On the other hand, Turbines will eat steam from any source, while Reactors only eat Yellorium. Steam can be readily produced from Railcraft Boilers, MFR boilers, and any number of other mods that escape my memory.

H

H3lios

That makes a bit more sense, but it's not the resources I'm worried about, I could build as many as I want. It's the real-estate, these things a friggen big. (hence the name I suppose.)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Turbines are more about the efficiency and being able to run multiple off of a single reactor. Most reactors can run 3 to 4 turbines easily and with lower heat and fuel costs.

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Figure out how much steam your reactor produces at full tilt and divide that by 2,000 (rounding down) for each turbine, then multiply the result by 28,000 RF to get your maximum output said reactor can sustain. Then tell yourself if it is worth it or not.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
What do you even USE 90k/t on? Or at that point is it all about collecting it to collect it?

H

H3lios

What do you even USE 90k/t on? Or at that point is it all about collecting it to collect it?

The lion's share goes to my MASSIVE ME network but the rest goes to things like keeping portals open, powering turrets and quarries but I have RFTools in this pack and some of those dimensions drain a huge amount of RF/t. That and I'm trying to fill my T7 Draconic core in preparation for the chaos reactor.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ahh, good to know. I'm still a bit of a mod noob, so I'm working with things that are generating like 40 RF/t, not 40k, and basically running some quarries and jumping higher. These numbers seem crazy to me. But, I didn't know you need them for portals and whatnot, either.

H

H3lios

Ahh, good to know. I'm still a bit of a mod noob, so I'm working with things that are generating like 40 RF/t, not 40k, and basically running some quarries and jumping higher. These numbers seem crazy to me. But, I didn't know you need them for portals and whatnot, either.

Individually you don't, but the more machines you have, the more it adds up. And if you're like me, you just want to build a bunch of tesseracts and plug everything into one big source so you don't have to monitor their power.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
To put it in perspective, you could run that 1 turbine on a reactor with only 8 fuel rod blocks in it. I tend to build a 7x7x3 reactor and the full size turbine together by the time I'm ready to move up from the little underpowered generators. I do usually have to start with a partial coil and work up to the full ludicrite coil.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Individually you don't, but the more machines you have, the more it adds up. And if you're like me, you just want to build a bunch of tesseracts and plug everything into one big source so you don't have to monitor their power.

Now THAT's the one I can get behind. I think my goal this whole time was mostly to just generate enough RF passively to keep all my stuff charged and not have to think about it before running quarries, and I'll just set it all up with a tesserract to keep it as simple as possible. That's why I was wondering if at a certain point if it was about collecting the resource just to conquer it because with the values I'm seeing at this point, the difference between 40k and 90k is essentially bragging rights.

Or so I thought, that is.

Softwerker

Jan 24, 2017
If you have Mekanism in your Pack, use those Turbines. Way more efficient and less expensive to build.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're running MFR Laser Drills to acquire more Yellorium/Uranium to fuel the reactors, that 40k only runs one of them.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I'm hoping for some tiered turbines. They could accept more steam and use "compressed" blocks for the coil, or something like that. Right now I think it becomes a bit impractical with turbines once the reactor size goes beyond a certain point.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm hoping for some tiered turbines. They could accept more steam and use "compressed" blocks for the coil, or something like that. Right now I think it becomes a bit impractical with turbines once the reactor size goes beyond a certain point.
Yeah, the limitation on the turbines has always seemed odd to me.

Tiered rotor materials should allow higher amounts of steam throughput.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, the limitation on the turbines has always seemed odd to me.

Tiered rotor materials should allow higher amounts of steam throughput.
I think certain parts of Big Reactors always felt like they were in transition to a further developed state - such as the turbines and their behaviour - but then remained mostly as they were in 1.6.4! That said, the author(s?) of Extreme Reactors is already adding new ores and things into the game, and progressing further down the path away from its progenitor, so I suspect that the mod as it is now is very much just the beginning - which mean (as always) we need to have patience and positivity, and wait.