Applied Energistics too fast for autocrafting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
You have ore processing set to on-demand?

I considered this, then realised how long it would take to whip up the chrome, or titanium I need to make advanced machine casings, or how difficult this made judging how much stuff I actually had, very difficult.

The Industrial grinder is one of those things handled EXCEPTIONALLY well by AE, due to all the many possible outcomes from it, and so is the GT scrapboxinator. One can have ores put into the grinder, and have each output handled individually - tiny piles put into a GT electric autocrafting table, set to "dust pileing" mode to make full dusts, nuggets put into Factorisation Packagers, and most full dusts put into Induction furnaces. There is a separate case for Platinum, once there is a stack of Platinum ingots in the system the rest of the platinum ingots in the system, it turns off that furnace and activates the export bus which puts the platinum dust into (many - I had a LOT of valuable bees) industrial centrifuges to make iridium nuggets. These were then (as above) packaged into ingots.

That was where AE was invaluable as a middle-man, which is basically the opposite of what y'all are saying.
In 1.4.7 there was nothing requiring dusts that couldn't be substituted for use of an induction smelter or alloy smelter.

However in UE we have a lot of things requiring dusts so this wouldn't work.

However.
A perfect solution would be to use a second AE system, using ME interfaces to have all ore put into this sub system; and have all the ingots put into the main system.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
... tiny piles put into a GT electric autocrafting table, set to "dust pileing" mode to make full dusts, nuggets put into Factorisation Packagers, and most full dusts put into Induction furnaces....

I tried but couldn't get AE to play nice with those GT autocrafting tables. I'm just exporting ingots/tiny piles into the top of a chest around which are 4 filters programmed to pull 4 or 9 items and send to a factorization packager. I needed 2 of these setups as I filled up all the filter slots in the first. It works perfectly jam free this way, where the electric tables couldn't keep up.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I tried but couldn't get AE to play nice with those GT autocrafting tables. I'm just exporting ingots/tiny piles into the top of a chest around which are 4 filters programmed to pull 4 or 9 items and send to a factorization packager. I needed 2 of these setups as I filled up all the filter slots in the first. It works perfectly jam free this way, where the electric tables couldn't keep up.

I'm guessing you don't have a MAC in your ore processing AE net as it shouldn't be necessary, so you'd be trying to avoid making one, yes? I think you can use an advanced regulator, but it'd be limited to 9 dust combinations. Basically, reserve one slot per tiny pile with it. The other option, the one I use, involves a MAC export bus set to craft and a pattern for each dust from tiny piles. I'm about to remove this though since I no longer quarry and will replace it with UUM dust recipes.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019

http://gregtech-addon.wikispaces.com/Electric+Craftingtable

Works without any issues. Just feed all the Tiny Piles in via an export bus and pull the dust out with an import bus. In fact, I'm also exporting scrap and Iridium nuggets, works beautifully. And the machine has a number of internal buffer slot, there is no need to send it in packets of 4 piles or 9 scrap pieces.

The hardest part was to figure out, what sides to connect to the export and import bus.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I just rotated them so that the input (green) was the top and the output (red) was facing down.
I have the export bus set to put 8 kinds if dust per table, had the table set to dust pile mode and then had an export bus on the red side.
The back had a wire plugged in.
It took 3 (at least) tables to deal with the many possible different dusts and true each table could potentially handle 9, but it did make the system 8x more compact than packagers, and overall the costs per craft ended up not costing me any more power due to saving power as opposed to having 8 times as many buses at all the time.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
AE automation has a lot of limitations. Most people who recommend it here blindly as a solution to all problems generally don't understand those limitations.

Or they understand them well enough to know how to work around them :)

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
First, thank you for your quick answers.
@Shenzo:
Doing that would kind of defeat the purpose of autocrafting in my oppinion. Because if I have to remember to flick some levers whenever I ask it to make me certain items it is not automated anymore.

@ Golrith:
I have taught the system how to make dusts from ingots again.
But unfortunately I cannot set a priority to the autocrafting. At least not in the version the DW20 pack is running.

For example when I try to autocraft redstone power conduits it starts by pulverizing gold and silver ingots to make electrum blend. But it is stuck in a loop of pulverizing and smelting it instantly again, before it even thinks about crafting the electrum blend.

You could use the Induction Smelter.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Or they understand them well enough to know how to work around them :)

There are things that are only possible to work around with the addition of very new mods. And in many cases it's not worth the trouble. Converyors and Item Routers are insanely cheap and Item Router builds can be incredibly compact.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
What I do is have my ores auto processed by industrial grinders, I have the tiny piles of dust auto crafted to piles and I keep the dusts in inventory. Then I have me interfaces on induction furnaces with me patterns that are encoded with the 'patterns' for the relevant ingots, so it crafts ingots from dusts as needed.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Ranulios

Jul 29, 2019
Wow reading this discussion that sparked is really interesting ;)
And it made me realize that I am not as advanced as I thought I was. It's amazing how much you guys know about these things.
Thank you to everyone for your answers.
I solved the problem for now with the workaround to use the Induction Smelter for making Electrum. But I am eager to try out having multiple AE networks as some of you suggested.
Having one line for ore processing and the other line for storage sounds amazing and like a fun new project.