Applied Energistics too fast for autocrafting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ranulios

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!
I am a long time silent reader on here ;) and now I finally made the account to ask a question.

Well I love Applied Energistics, so I set up a fairly decent network on my world. It has automated ore processing, automated crafting and everything. Now the problem that I ran into and cannot solve on my own is, that I am letting my ores be pulverized first before they get smelted. When I now try to autocraft anything that is using the pulverized metals it won't be able to do so, because the pulverized metals only stay in the system for a couple of seconds before being smelted again.

I am playing with the DW20 pack 5.3.2.

I thought about prioritising the export busses that put the pulverized metals into the powered furnace, but I had to realize that that is not an option.

Does anyone of you have an idea how to solve this little issue?
Sorry if I forgot to give you details you need, if you ask for them I will make sure to provide them.

Thank you in advance!

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
You could use a lever to control the export buses
what do you want to craft with pulverized metals?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Not actually used AE myself, but from what I know, can't you make the crafting a higher priority then the smelting, so if dusts are needed, they are used before being smelted?
Additionally, add a setup that teaches the system how to make pulverized ores from ingots, combined with the priority should sort it all out.

Ranulios

Jul 29, 2019
First, thank you for your quick answers.
@Shenzo:
Doing that would kind of defeat the purpose of autocrafting in my oppinion. Because if I have to remember to flick some levers whenever I ask it to make me certain items it is not automated anymore.

@ Golrith:
I have taught the system how to make dusts from ingots again.
But unfortunately I cannot set a priority to the autocrafting. At least not in the version the DW20 pack is running.

For example when I try to autocraft redstone power conduits it starts by pulverizing gold and silver ingots to make electrum blend. But it is stuck in a loop of pulverizing and smelting it instantly again, before it even thinks about crafting the electrum blend.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, OK. Not sure.

But, I can help on the electrum side of things, you can use the ingots to craft electrum. 1 gold and 1 silver is 2 electrum ingots. Harden glass works with Lead Ingots and pulverised Obsidian. So no pulverized ores required.

Ranulios

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, really? That sounds like the holy grail of workarounds. I never used these recipes :)
Thank you very much! I'll have to try this out when I get home!

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
You can't use the ingots directly, however you can use the induction smelter form TE, or the Alloy smelter from GT, depending on whether you have MJs or Eus floating about.

Just set up an ME interface on top of the machine and have the apparent set to 1gold ingot+1 silver ingot=2 electrum ingots.
Then put then back into the ME network, either via import bus, or by pumping/piping them into an ME interface, or whatever you feel like doing.

HcoJustin

Jul 29, 2019
Also, if you do something like Ore > Pulverizer > Powered Furnace > AE System, it cuts out the step of sending the dusts back out to be processed, effectively letting you keep dust in the system.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
However this cannot be done if one plans to use the Industrial Grinder From GregTech, however due to the OP being on DW20 pack this is irrelevant.

Going ore-pulveriser-furnace-system will mean you need an extra furnace to deal with Eckswhycraft and Cinnibar from Thaumcraft, amongst other things, but you will need various setups to handle the speed of incoming ores anyways, so this is also irrelevant.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
The Induction Smelter would probably solve your problems already. But if for whatever reason you do need to keep dusts, simply add an AE Level Emitter to the export bus for the furnace. (Export bus set to Single for the dusts.) You can set the Level Emitter to the number of ingots, that you want to keep in your system. Any dust beyond that remains in your storage unprocessed.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
In my base I have a level emitter on the export busses that dump the dusts into the furnaces. These are set to always keep a certain amount of dusts in storage.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I think the general solution to this is usually to isolate the processing from the crafting systems. Whether that's by using the TE machines as an "in here, out there" system, or whether it's by using an export bus to output to a processing "factory", you can set it up so that there isn't an export bus in your main system for dusts (you can even use AE for the processing, just handle the changeover with interfaces and import/export busses).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I think the general solution to this is usually to isolate the processing from the crafting systems. Whether that's by using the TE machines as an "in here, out there" system, or whether it's by using an export bus to output to a processing "factory", you can set it up so that there isn't an export bus in your main system for dusts (you can even use AE for the processing, just handle the changeover with interfaces and import/export busses).

This.

You need to set up separate factory pipelines for everything. Set up one TE pipeline for ore doubling upon input, one pulverizer for just pulverizing what comes into an interface, and one furnace for just smelting what the interface wants to smelt.

AE automation has a lot of limitations. Most people who recommend it here blindly as a solution to all problems generally don't understand those limitations.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
The whole discussion is moot as the only pulverized item that can't be used in ingot form for alloys is obsidian, and obsidian doesn't have an ingot anyway (already addressed by golrith). I suspect this is by design. The only ore processing system that needs dusts is an incomplete processing system or a start-up system that doesn't need excessive automation anyway. As conduits and liquiducts are mild use I just craft by hand and automate the ore processing instead.

Thought exercises can be fun though, so don't take the above comment as interrupting that if that's the intention.

droid20

Jul 29, 2019
Just put an interface on an pulverizer or macerator and set how to pulverize the metals down and use that it should keep it for the crafting process

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The whole discussion is moot

Incorrect.

as the only pulverized item that can't be used in ingot form for alloys is obsidian, and obsidian doesn't have an ingot anyway (already addressed by golrith). I suspect this is by design.

Not with AE in mind, the changes predate AE.

You will run into the same types of problems automation potion creation, and to a lesser extend tesseract and REC creation.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
My solution was not to automatically process the ores. I just store them. Then use patterns with the proper interfaces on my furnaces/macerator. Everything is set to craft only as needed. For example if I need iron bars crafted. AE knows to go grind the ores then smelt them before making the bars.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
My solution to the OP problem- I have 2 AE processing lines. One auto-processes everything from my quarry and packages everything up as storage blocks as much as possible. This all gets dumped into a chest and then imported into my second, main AE network which crafts the blocks to ingots/grinds back to dust in those few recipes that need them.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Incorrect.

Not with AE in mind, the changes predate AE.

You will run into the same types of problems automation potion creation, and to a lesser extend tesseract and REC creation.

I wasn't referring to AE, but to inline ore processing systems that have been around since long before it. Almost all of the processing time is on the front end with grinding and smelting ores so its always made sense for the end product ingots to be backwards-compatible to dusts to ease unneccesary complexity.

I agree that AE doesn't handle multi-input machines as elegantly as it does shaped crafting or single input machines. Its still better than the rest for most uses though, so the opportunity cost isn't there to switch out because of fringe cases. Larger factories, especially gregtech, are where there's a bigger payoff for automation outside of AE. My 12 tesseracts and 200 conduits and seldom use potions aren't where I'd waste all that automation effort, its the centrifuges and energy flow circuits that make me crave attaching additional systems (which I do).

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't referring to AE, but to inline ore processing systems that have been around since long before it. Almost all of the processing time is on the front end with grinding and smelting ores so its always made sense for the end product ingots to be backwards-compatible to dusts to ease unneccesary complexity.

I agree that AE doesn't handle multi-input machines as elegantly as it does shaped crafting or single input machines. Its still better than the rest for most uses though, so the opportunity cost isn't there to switch out because of fringe cases. Larger factories, especially gregtech, are where there's a bigger payoff for automation outside of AE. My 12 tesseracts and 200 conduits and seldom use potions aren't where I'd waste all that automation effort.

I find AE works best for automating Gregtech, though I did have to do this for Tungstensteel in the blast furnace:
Code:
ME interface -> buffer -> blast furnace
                        \-> filter (steel) -> Router -> blast furnace slot 2 (I think)

That was kind of annoying to figure out, kept messing up on me, but I did manage to get it to work.