[Applied Energistics] ME network

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Depending on what nuke design you're using, the tree farm may be significantly cheaper, and won't cost you uranium to run. Plus, once you get it all set up and automated with a fully heated boiler, you have 144 MJ/t, constantly, with zero maintenance. (well, some of it might be needed to convert the logs into planks/charcoal, but most of it is available to you. Which, with AE's current rate of exchange, could power a network using up to 720 energy units.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019

That video, and the next in the series, show how to set up the tree farm and automate it. Direwolf used Redpower for automation, but you could use practically anything, even AE, to automate.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Keep watching Direwolf's vidoes. It is only a few episodes later that he sets up a LP boiler fed off of blaze rods. Just use charcoal from the tree farm instead of blaze rods.

Volcarox

Jul 29, 2019
Keep watching Direwolf's vidoes. It is only a few episodes later that he sets up a LP boiler fed off of blaze rods. Just use charcoal from the tree farm instead of blaze rods.

Alright! I love the forums, everyone's so helpful ^^ Thanks again!
I can't find that episode to where he does that, which one is it?

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
A solid fuelled firebox will automatically pull from any adjacent inventory, so all you'd have to do is export your chosen fuel to a chest placed next to the firebox. Then, as your boiler heats up it produces steam, which you can feed into steam engines (The railcraft versions, so hobbyists, commercial and industrial steam engines). The steam is treated as a liquid, so can be moved using liquiducts or tesseracts, stored in tanks, etc.

Volcarox

Jul 29, 2019
So I have the sc tree farm collecting wood, I have 2 crystal chests with wood in it (not full) and wooden transport pipes sucking the wood out into a steam oven, but the steam oven doesn't turn the wood into charcoal??

Volcarox

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I'm clearly doing this wrong, the wood gets pumped out of the crystal chests into the induction furnaces, I have redstone engines on the other side of the furnaces but the wood gets pulled out before it can get cooked..

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
No, you'd need to process the wood into charcoal before it hits the boiler.

As soon as the bug with the TE Sawmill is fixed (that it gives 6 planks again), then it's actually more efficient to turn the wood into planks and feed the planks into the boiler.

Volcarox

Jul 29, 2019
As soon as the bug with the TE Sawmill is fixed (that it gives 6 planks again), then it's actually more efficient to turn the wood into planks and feed the planks into the boiler.
6 planks of wood is nothing compared to 1 raw wood which gets turned into charcoal, so therefore the TE sawmill isn't as efficient[DOUBLEPOST=1375368368][/DOUBLEPOST]i take that back, but it's only a small difference of 0.2k heat

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
6 planks of wood is nothing compared to 1 raw wood which gets turned into charcoal, so therefore the TE sawmill isn't as efficient

1 Charcoal = 1600 HU
1 Wooden Plank = 300 HU

1.600 versus 6x300 = 1.800 HU (a stack of wood turned into Charcoal lasts 320secs in a 36HP, turned into Planks it lasts 360secs). And you get saw dust, which you can also turn into coal or planks and use as additional fuel.

In addition, one Powered Furnace can supply one 36HP with Charcoal, the Sawmill is fast enough to supply two ... and uses less MJs to do it.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Switch to MFR :p. 3x3 X-shaped tree farm feeds 6 powered furnaces and then some for me. That's 6 boilers you're looking at right there.

As for dire's video: google: "direwolf20 season 5 getting steamy"

Volcarox

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm producing alot of steam right now, I pump the steam to the steam engines and then what?

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm producing alot of steam right now, I pump the steam to the steam engines and then what?

Are you trying to get EUs or MJs?

For EUs the most efficient way is probably to use Railcraft's Steam Turbine. They are expensive to make (well, all they use is a LOT of steel), but they provide the highest power output at the moment. Or you can produce MJs by using Industrial Steam Engines and convert that into EUs using Electric Engines.