Applied energistics masters inquire within! Need some help. :D

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to use AE which I've done many times before but I've always just went with this weird way.

Problem 1: My ingots sometimes gets processed different sometimes they end up a thermal expansion silver ingot and sometimes an ic2 ingot. If I have a pattern that says uses ic2 ingots but all I have are TE ingots it won't craft any ideas or do I just need to make everything work around one form of processing (which would be silly)

Problem 2: I made a brand new ic2 hammer for the plates. It uses the new hammer once. and it tries to make a new hammer again if it calls for another plate but it just pauses. How do I get the system to ignore the damage on my hammer?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
1: Use a unifier with a preference to a certant type, also most stuff can be made with all types, so if you have Te3 ingots, just change it in the Pattern
2: Use the machine, since i cant remmember if there was a fuzzy thingy for crafting.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
I'll try and work towards the machine. however I'm in the direwolf20 pack and we have MFR disabled due to some really OP machines. So I can't use the unifer there has to be a way though? isn't it weird that it can't hand damage values on a hammer or use the ore dictionary?

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
You can run the different stuff through a Te3 setup or Ic2 set-up and that should work, making them all Ic2 or Te3 ingots.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that's what I'm doing now but I just really feel there is a way to where you don't have to do that. I'll keep testing and hoping for some answers :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Problem 2: I made a brand new ic2 hammer for the plates. It uses the new hammer once. and it tries to make a new hammer again if it calls for another plate but it just pauses. How do I get the system to ignore the damage on my hammer?
Make sure that any recipe you make is done with a non damage hammer. This way it will use a hammer of any damage state.
If you make the recipe with a tool that is already partly damage the MAC will be looking for that very specific item with that very specific damage state. At least this is how it works with things like ME quartz knifes and wrath igniters.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, That's what I've been doing. but sometimes it freezes. I actually have to break the structure and recraft then it uses the already damaged hammer it's really weird.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I think that AE uses the dictionary thing to convert equiv to equiv.

For example, I encoded the recipie for the Nether Quartz knife thing (to automate processor assemblies) and even though one of the sticks in the encoded recipe is a bamboo stick or something, it will substitute a normal vanilla stick and even craft sticks from oak planks to fit both slots. I have no bamboo sticks anywhere.

Another example is 10k water cells, the encoded recipe I put into the auto assembler chamer thingo had two bits of regular tin plate and two bits of tin plate from 'Calcavia' (no idea what mod that is) surrounding a water bottle. AE is quite a smart mod and will quite happily use 4 units of the regular tin plate to make the 10k water cell. I also have no Calcavia sourced tin plates anywhere either (I checked).

So, it might not matter which version of an ingot you have, as long as you have 'a silver ingot' it seems - from what I have seen so far - you'll be ok if your recipe needs silver ingots, as long you have enough silver ingots from any specific mod available to the AE system, it looks like it will just use what it can grab.

This to me was an unexpected bonus of upgrading to AE from the logistics pipe system for auto crafting, though at yet I am not yet aware of anything in AE which handles liquids.

I am on DW20 1.0.19.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
I think that AE uses the dictionary thing to convert equiv to equiv.

For example, I encoded the recipie for the Nether Quartz knife thing (to automate processor assemblies) and even though one of the sticks in the encoded recipe is a bamboo stick or something, it will substitute a normal vanilla stick and even craft sticks from oak planks to fit both slots. I have no bamboo sticks anywhere.

Another example is 10k water cells, the encoded recipe I put into the auto assembler chamer thingo had two bits of regular tin plate and two bits of tin plate from 'Calcavia' (no idea what mod that is) surrounding a water bottle. AE is quite a smart mod and will quite happily use 4 units of the regular tin plate to make the 10k water cell. I also have no Calcavia sourced tin plates anywhere either (I checked).

So, it might not matter which version of an ingot you have, as long as you have 'a silver ingot' it seems - from what I have seen so far - you'll be ok if your recipe needs silver ingots, as long you have enough silver ingots from any specific mod available to the AE system, it looks like it will just use what it can grab.

This to me was an unexpected bonus of upgrading to AE from the logistics pipe system for auto crafting, though at yet I am not yet aware of anything in AE which handles liquids.

I am on DW20 1.0.19.

Hmm, see I've had several problems with it using other things such as sticks. like I shift clicked from nei in there and instead of just using the sticks it got stuck waiting for a eucalyptis stick. maybe when I update it'll fix or something I dunno. Did you format your disks or anything? Because no matter what I do with the ingots it's looking for specific ones. either TE or IC2 if they are both called for in the recipe I could have plenty of IC2 and none of TE but it won't finish because of the missing TE ingots.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't done any drive formatting, I only first starting mucking about with AE the other evening after work, had never used it before.

I've only got a handful of 4k drives to replace a handful of chests, all of my bulk storage is in Deep Storage units connected via 'ME Storage Bus' blocks to the AE network.

I'll go encode something that uses bits from different mods and get back.

I'm out of blank patterns (Need to go mining!), but here's an example of a basic machine casing.

Here is the encoded pattern for basic the basic machine casing.

2014-03-23_23.07.08.png

There is eight plates needed, in this encoded recipe there are four IC2 iron plates and four iron plates from calcavia.

If I ensure that there are no iron plates in storage and try to craft the item, I get the following result.

2014-03-23_23.04.28.png

Note that AE is trying to use exactly what was in the encoded recipe.

However, if I supply enough IC2 iron plates to satisfy the recipe, the AE system will substitute the IC2 iron plates for the Calcavia iron plates that were referenced in the encoded recipe, with the item appearing in the inventory.

2014-03-23_23.05.35.png

Further test done with TE machine frame, with encoded recipe making references to glass types not present in inventory, the TE machine frame was successfully crafted.

I hope this helps :)

P.S One caution with AE autocrafting.

I have noted that it is vital that there be enough storage space in any available ME drive for autocrafting to work properly! If all of your drives or ME chests have orange indicator lights, you have run out of 'item types' of storage and the auto assembler will be left stuck.

Some of the autocrafting recipes for AE blocks have fairly deep auto requests (I have seen six or seven items in the queue on the crafting monitor when auto crafting storage bus blocks).

Last edited:

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019

Ok, I see what it's doing. So it doesn't craft because it doesn't understand what your doing but if you have enough of 1 or the other plate it will craft. It still makes auto crafting tedious because you'd have to manually make the required plates. I just went through and changed my whole system not many problems now. Thanks for you reply man!

[JBG]Magikarp

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm trying to use AE which I've done many times before but I've always just went with this weird way.

Problem 1: My ingots sometimes gets processed different sometimes they end up a thermal expansion silver ingot and sometimes an ic2 ingot. If I have a pattern that says uses ic2 ingots but all I have are TE ingots it won't craft any ideas or do I just need to make everything work around one form of processing (which would be silly)

1. MFR Unifier can change ingots from one mod to another mod
2.not sure if it's just me, but on 1.0.19 of the dw20pack it can use the hammer until it breaks, then it makes a new one, if you don't use the dw20pack, just use the metal former instead

Sent from my National Pokédex using Tapatalk

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Also, as a note, the assembly chamber can be a bit weird sometimes with ore dictionary.

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Heh ... I just opened a thread today enquiring about the whole dictionary thing with AE crafting, and I was given a definite answer.

Have a look here so I don't repeat info :)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ae-auto-crafter-ore-dictionary.43478/

Incidentally, Direwolf20 mentioned it today in his let's play, about AE not using the dictionary properly and you have to be specific in the recipes.

Haha yeah I actually just got done reading thread. It really sucks but I guess I would rather him work on ae 2 xD

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, see I've had several problems with it using other things such as sticks. like I shift clicked from nei in there and instead of just using the sticks it got stuck waiting for a eucalyptis stick. maybe when I update it'll fix or something I dunno. Did you format your disks or anything? Because no matter what I do with the ingots it's looking for specific ones. either TE or IC2 if they are both called for in the recipe I could have plenty of IC2 and none of TE but it won't finish because of the missing TE ingots.
"Shift-click" is the problem here.
dont blindly encode recipes with shift-click and expect them to work 100% of the time. Especially with recipes using multiple TYPES of the same item.

Wood and sticks are a great example. If you shift-click an ic2 battbox or vanilla chest, you will get a random selection of the various types of planks available. I typically use ONE type of wood when playing. So after doing a shift-click and getting a weird mish-mash of planks. I take the proper plank from my inventory and update the encoded recipe before putting it in my MAC.

Same goes for anything that uses ingots of varying types. 'bronze' ingot is a good example. Decide which one you are going to use, and setup your recipes to ONLY use that one.

You can solve your machine casing plates problem by just updating the recipe to use the IC2 plates.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019

Problem 1: Drop IC2 and start using thermal expansion only (Unless you're using Gtech then you're done for) or use Jabba barrels with an interface with the recipe "1 iron ingot from x mod into 1 iron ingot from y mod" and an export bus, which will make all your ingots turn into the same kind. Ingots are made around a metals dictionary, so you shouldn't have problem to use only one kind of process and when needed, turn it into the other one. You will need a ton of barrels though.. But its the only thing I could think of that the AE system could handle automatically.

Problem 2: Umm, never had this problem, is your AE updated? Are you using the last version of the pack? Maybe try putting a hammer with a damage value in the recipe and then check again?

chardo440

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I ended up just switching everything and only using one mod. I won't drop ic2 because you get more ores through a longer process and it's essentially faster with all the upgrading to the machines you can do. Also, Shift-clicking although may not look like it would work. It should. It doesn't matter what kind of sticks you shift-click into the pattern encoder. AE should look at that and be like... "This dude seriously wants a stick" and give me any stick using the ore dictionary same with ingots. It should be looked at as a copper ingot is a copper ingot it doesn't matter how that little guy got there but that he's a copper ingot. So don't you tell him otherwise. However, after reading several other posts I now realize that the version that is out now is no longer actively being updated. That way he can work on AE2 which is cool. So... TL;DR All my problems are fixed. and my head ache is gone. So, awesome! :D

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it looks like I've run into the problem highlighted in the OP. I encoded a basic Wrench using bronze ingots, unfortunately one of the ingots in the encoded pattern is a 'Calclaviacore' bronze ingot.
AE auto assembler chamber will not just use another type of ingot.

Weird how it is smart enough at other recipes but things get stuck with various ingot types, even though ore dictionary has all the info..

I am now trying to see if I can turn every ingot into a factorization ingot type but am struggling to work out how to automate the Unifier block with AE.

Anyone got any tips?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Use Storage blocks. Use the crafting terminal to make a copper block and see which mod's storage block you get. Then program AE to make those blocks and unblock them. That will convert them to a single type, no matter the original types that go in.

Alternately, a Tinker's Smeltery can pour entire blocks that will be guaranteed to break into Tinker's Ingots. And AE can pull the blocks straight from the basin. Plus it works with powders/pulverized ores.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy