Applied Energistics - Auto craft wood to planks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Totalepicfailz

Jul 29, 2019
I am using an ME network and would like to be able to convert any wood that comes into the system straight into planks. I am probably missing something very simple but i can not find a way to do it. Do any of you have an idea on how this could be done?

Thanks in advance.

neiromaru

Jul 29, 2019
Use an export bus to export logs into an auto crafting table or a cyclic assembler, then pull the planks out with an import bus.
Unfortunately you'll need a separate auto crafting table or cyclic assembler for each type of log

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
TE has a Sawmill, which makes six logs and sawdust, and GregTech has the industrial Sawmill which does similar. They both require power, but if you've got AE, that's probably not an issue.

Totalepicfailz

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies! I found the crafty turtles and am using them. It will import into a chest for the crafty turtle to craft the planks then output into a chest to then be imported back into the network.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Just so that you know, the FAR easier way is to use the AE multiblock crafting (the MAC), then set up an interface and a precision/fuzzy export bus set to always craft.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles (and the MAC) waste a lot of wood tho. The "best" option would be a sawmill, so you get 50% more planks + sawdust. Its also easy to automate to always keep a few logs in the system, in case you want barrels or obsidian :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Also note a crafted recipe doesn't require a MAC - just:

1x ME Pattern Encoder to encode the recipe
1x ME Pattern
1x ME Interface feeding the machine (usually on top)

...and of course, you'll need an ME Controller, ME Terminal of some kind, ME cables, etc.,.

You can then order up as many planks as you want and the ME Controller will queue them up. A TE Sawmill is the best / most efficient way, I believe.

Totalepicfailz

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles (and the MAC) waste a lot of wood tho. The "best" option would be a sawmill, so you get 50% more planks + sawdust. Its also easy to automate to always keep a few logs in the system, in case you want barrels or obsidian :)

I know that it is not the most efficient way of doing it xD, but i have two of the max wood farms from MineFactory reloaded so i don't really need to be efficient when converting them.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I know that it is not the most efficient way of doing it xD, but i have two of the max wood farms from MineFactory reloaded so i don't really need to be efficient when converting them.

Be efficient and shutdown one of them to conserve server/computer resources :)

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Generally, when I want my ME system to constantly craft all of a certain material into something, I set up one of the auto-workbenches or the buildcraft one with the lasers (pretty red lines :D) and just up the pattern and an export bus. For certain items I'll add a redstone quantity signal doohickey to Only activate the export bus if I have in excess of a certain amount.

But if you want all you logs turned to planks without the need for a separate crafting station, how about an export bus set to export planks (and also set to crafting only) into a chest, and then you can even set up an import bus on the same chest to pull the planks directly back into the network. I don't know how bad it would be for your lag, but thaw one way to chop all your wood with the MAC automatically.

Would you be able to skip the chest, and just have the "craft only" export bus shooting wood directly into an import bus?

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019

Well... when you have 100k of wood you dont care if you can get 50% more planks :D

Reactions: PierceSG

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Would you be able to skip the chest, and just have the "craft only" export bus shooting wood directly into an import bus?

Yup. This is my usual way of making alveary blocks. I'll make the carpenters crafting rather than exports, and just set it to auto-craft all of it into alvearies. It means that you don't waste stuff by making a surplus (although it is a little slower, I think).