Applied Energistics (AE)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So as far as I can tell, an unpowered AE system still wants to keep all the items in memory.

As opposed to serializing the data to an NBT file, and freeing up the in-game memory.

I was kinda hoping that this could actually be a way to save memory on an item-heavy system (which seems to fit the concept of the mod nicely).

Am I mis-understanding? Would there be any significant memory saving if this were done?

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
shutting down an AE system frees up memory so it is actually a healthy practice to shut down AE systems in a server (when said system is not in use IE the player is offline) unless your server also happens to be a beast server like FC...

Bgraywolf

Jul 29, 2019
interesting concept...I will have to see if I can design a self powering down AE system.

I can do it with Gates and LP crafting pipes...

Trivially with a pressure plate but I want to use the wireless remote...

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
So post #1 and post #2 seem to disagree as to whether or not server memory is freed up when an AE system is de-powered.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking through my GC logs, and did not notice anything different when they were powered on or off.

But in fairness, what I did notice is that there seems to be a serious memory leak when (not sure which of these two) either the ME controller or ME drive is on-screen being rendered -- and that leak would overwhelm any savings from being powered off.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you could just have a lever connected to a way to cut the power. You just have to remember to turn it on and off everytime you log on/off.
I'm sure there's a player detector way aswell, but I can't name any of my head.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't openblocks have a block that outputs a signal when the block owner is logged in?

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
Well a majority of players i find in youtube make a shutdown switch to their ae systems when not in use, in the belief it does the server good else use opis better yet ask algorithm what happens when the ae system is not in use