"Application Java (TM) has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, (I went to the tech support forum section, but realized that was for the game acting up, not graphics, etc)
(Wow, I haven't been here in a while ;p)
I started up Minecraft, and I got an alert in the action center (WIN10) saying "Application Java (TM) has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware". The application, being Minecraft, not being allowed to use graphics hardware... I don't know.. I loaded it up after that warning and my FPS was at it's lowest in a LONG TIME. I was getting around 8-12 (normally 90-120) One thing I also wanted to mention is that I do have enough ram allocated to the game. Any help is appreciated! :)
Here's a picture of the alert : http://imgur.com/a/0IVfX

Edt : This seems to happen in vanilla, too, but it's not as bad. My game is skipping a lot of frames despite saying 180-200 fps.. No idea.
Edit 2 : This apparently happens on ALL games I play.. the fps is high, but a lot of frame skipping occurs. I also did update the Nvidia driver to the latest version. The only thing I can think of doing is uninstalling the driver and redownloading it, but I want to do what you guys suggest, first.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Did you computer grab the update to windows 10? I have seen a lot of different reports of issues on there forums. Some graphics related. My little brother's windows installation isn't even usable unless the desktop is set to the 1080p. His monitor didn't even support 1080 the last I checked. Not for sure if the GPU is down scaling or if the info I got when I bought it was wrong. Still I checked their forums and reports are all over it of issues with that update.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
This thread would really be better served on one of the support forums. It is likely to be driver related and you may have to try several before you get one that works. There is no harm Googling for the answer as that is what most responses you'll get here will be basing their advice on.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Did you computer grab the update to windows 10? I have seen a lot of different reports of issues on there forums. Some graphics related. My little brother's windows installation isn't even usable unless the desktop is set to the 1080p. His monitor didn't even support 1080 the last I checked. Not for sure if the GPU is down scaling or if the info I got when I bought it was wrong. Still I checked their forums and reports are all over it of issues with that update.
Yes, I did update to the anniversary update for windows 10.. I really hope that this gets resolved.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
This thread would really be better served on one of the support forums. It is likely to be driver related and you may have to try several before you get one that works. There is no harm Googling for the answer as that is what most responses you'll get here will be basing their advice on.
Okay, thank you. I will post it there. The reason I said I don't want to rely on googling the answers is because I could spend hours doing other people's solutions, and there's a chance that none of it could work. I don't know.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
That is what most my answers are. Lots of google and reading the results. A few times it is stuff from experience. Vary rarely though.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, (I went to the tech support forum section, but realized that was for the game acting up, not graphics, etc)
(Wow, I haven't been here in a while ;p)
I started up Minecraft, and I got an alert in the action center (WIN10) saying "Application Java (TM) has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware". The application, being Minecraft, not being allowed to use graphics hardware... I don't know.. I loaded it up after that warning and my FPS was at it's lowest in a LONG TIME. I was getting around 8-12 (normally 90-120) One thing I also wanted to mention is that I do have enough ram allocated to the game. Any help is appreciated! :)
Here's a picture of the alert : http://imgur.com/a/0IVfX

Edt : This seems to happen in vanilla, too, but it's not as bad. My game is skipping a lot of frames despite saying 180-200 fps.. No idea.
Edit 2 : This apparently happens on ALL games I play.. the fps is high, but a lot of frame skipping occurs. I also did update the Nvidia driver to the latest version. The only thing I can think of doing is uninstalling the driver and redownloading it, but I want to do what you guys suggest, first.

Doing the google troll for you there are a lot of reports of this problem and very few resolutions. However, the most likely scenario posted was simply this: your video card is overheating. This is causing some thermal sensor to trip and some annoying piece of the driver bloatware it catching this, deciding Minecraft is at fault, printing this obstuse message, and doing something to redirect a lot of gfx calls to a software implementation. I say annoying as in my mind a driver shouldn't require about 8 user mode executables of unpublished function - that, when they do interfere - are so bloody obscure about what they are doing and why. But in this case the nett effect is to protect your video card from (presumed) harm caused by overheating.

The deeper question is:
* Why the hell does Nvidia not have a tech support article explaining what this error typically means.
* Is it actually a problem with your physical cooling?
* Or is it driver / video setting related - Video cards have a lot of control over their power draw and hence heat dissipation requirements, and consequently (as many people on google found) it could be resolved by changing drivers or simply changing the "driver" to a more conservative setting.

Reactions: mattp_12

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Doing the google troll for you there are a lot of reports of this problem and very few resolutions. However, the most likely scenario posted was simply this: your video card is overheating. This is causing some thermal sensor to trip and some annoying piece of the driver bloatware it catching this, deciding Minecraft is at fault, printing this obstuse message, and doing something to redirect a lot of gfx calls to a software implementation. I say annoying as in my mind a driver shouldn't require about 8 user mode executables of unpublished function - that, when they do interfere - are so bloody obscure about what they are doing and why. But in this case the nett effect is to protect your video card from (presumed) harm caused by overheating.

The deeper question is:
* Why the hell does Nvidia not have a tech support article explaining what this error typically means.
* Is it actually a problem with your physical cooling?
* Or is it driver / video setting related - Video cards have a lot of control over their power draw and hence heat dissipation requirements, and consequently (as many people on google found) it could be resolved by changing drivers or simply changing the "driver" to a more conservative setting.
Thank you for the reply. I did end up doing a bit of googling and found around the same stuff you did.. anyways... I want to link a Minecraft Forum post I made about the issue. Since I made this thread, more issues have been occuring and I have mentioned them in this thread : http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...entages-for-gamerenderer-in-game-way-too-high