Any way to stop Magmatic Engines from overheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
If anyone knows, do tell! Having to hit them with a wrench is very annoying, and apparently deployers using wrenches wont reactivate them.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
BC pipes aren't smart, so don't use them with machines that can use and adjust themselves with smarter pipes. Use the conduits from Thermal Expanion rather than BC pipes.

Basicly with BC wooden pipes it will leave the Magmatic running at full speed forever (or until it overheats). Use the TE pipes and the magmatic will slow itself down to a .5 or so mj/t and not overheat when there is no energy being used.

Reactions: Xplayer0809

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Just edited my post so might check the edit. But yes, they stop the engine from overheating. See edit for why and how.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had one do it and that's what I use. They aren't that expensive.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
They do have a 5% power loss, though. Compared with gold pipes, for less than 50 meters, conduits lose more.
But then again, they're smarter, and they won't explode if you loop them.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to use pipes, I would suggest gates. You don't have to use a lot or even use the pipe wire system; a gate on cobblestone support pipe can emit a redstone signal that red alloy wire picks up... just set the gate to emit when the conditions "Has Work" or "Can Store Energy" are met (depending on what you're powering... the first is handy for machines that either leak power or don't store, the later is handy for cells and TE machines) and then set the engine to require a high redstone signal (you could have it turn off the signal when those conditions are met, and leave the engine set to it's default setup).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
They do have a 5% power loss, though. Compared with gold pipes, for less than 50 meters, conduits lose more.
But then again, they're smarter, and they won't explode if you loop them.

This is easily offset by the fact that Magmatic engines throttle back when the system is 'full'.

ClowneN

Jul 29, 2019
I have a setup that gets me lava from nether, this is how it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/DCT4z.png

My problem is that my pipe gets fuild up with power and then explodes when my tanks are full and no power is used. Is there a way to stop this? How does this conduit works? Is it the Redstone Energy Conduit? I tried these but then the power fills up in my magmatic engine instead and later the engine overheats.

Rhodan

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion engines overheat when they have nowhere to send their power. As long as their power is being drained, they will happily chug away at their max speed. Wooden conductive pipes will keep draining power even if no machines need any, causing your pipes to explode. It's very rare for a TE engine to overheat when attached to conductive pipes.

Redstone conduits will never explode, and will slow down any TE engines when your power network is 'full'. The engine wil never completely slow down though, and once its internal energy storage is full it will overheat. Make sure to hit the conductive pipes with a wrench to change the direction of the little 'arrow' where it connects to an engine. It should point away from the engine to get the energy flowing in the right direction.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I think the redstone conduits are intelligent enough to discard a bit of energy when theyr full, so the magmatic engines will never overheat. (their heat level will rise pretty high, but itll stabilize in a large number)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I think the redstone conduits are intelligent enough to discard a bit of energy when theyr full, so the magmatic engines will never overheat. (their heat level will rise pretty high, but itll stabilize in a large number)
QFT, I had 4 combustion engines pump 30 minutes non-stop into a full cell trough some conduits, nothing exploded, nothing overheated, conduits drop the excess.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
QFT, I had 4 combustion engines pump 30 minutes non-stop into a full cell trough some conduits, nothing exploded, nothing overheated, conduits drop the excess.

They work that way with BC engines but not with TE.

In BC the cables explode and the engines only if you send too much power through them (since you can power engines with engines), and of course the combustion engine explodes if you let it run out of water. However the engines to not explode if they can not get rid of their energy. They basically just waste it. BC engines are dump enough to happily pump energy into a full machine without ever complaining (at least if connected directly and not via conductive pipes).

TE is a bit different. Although the cables can never explode the engines stop working. And need a whack with a hammer. For Magmatic engines the solution is simple. Connect at least one magma-crucible to your network that turns cobblestone into lava. Since it can accept up to 20 MJ/t you are fine and you get 90% of the energy back. Another option is connecting a rolling-machine to your network. The rolling-machine draws 1 MJ/t permanent and will also stop the engines from overheating. Propably the best solution is to attach some energy-cells in a way that they can input and output to your network, so that they only fill after the machines storage is full. So even if the engine overheats the machines will drain the cells if they have work again and you have a rather large time to whack the engines before the machines stop working.

Technically overheating is only a problem in automated systems that do not need permanent power-supply. For manual setups you can just whack the machines with the hammer if you want to use them. Gates are great for most engines but not for the Magmatic Engines, since you do not want to turn it off. It needs a rather long time before it get's back to full efficiency so turning it on and off on demand wastes propably more MJ than turning cobble into lava to refill it (technically you can also use Netherrack to even get more lava, but you need to ensure a constant supply).

But there is a reason why engines connected to conduits normally do not overheat. Conduits have some kind of internal storage too. So even if all your power-storages are full it takes a while to fill large conduit-nets and only if that happens the engines start overheating. You can see that quite often if you attach them directly to a machine. Let's say you want to pump lava from the nether and move it via enderchests and cells. For this you need a liquid transposer to fill them, which is quite easily powered with a magmatic engine (since you pump lava anyway). If for some reasons the transposer did not get new empty cells it's storage fills up and it is very likely that the engine will overheat before you come back.

ClowneN

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it worked like a charm, thank you :)

SKDII

Jul 29, 2019
C:\Users\StevenII\Desktop\Direwolf20\minecraft\screenshots\2013-06-07_15.50.01
well if you have computercraft, a very simple failsafe is to have two rows of engines side by side, have the engines set to require a redstone signal, and red alloy wire or redstone dust along the outsides of the engines, and a simple alternating output set to change every few minutes, if there is any internal buffer buildup it will quickly release itself when that set of engines are off, I plan on using this setup once i have enough resources, i want to be able to maintain large amounts of MJ for a mining rig, and with 25% loss with tesseracts, it takes several energy cells running at full output to power just 12 mining wells at full speed XD and yes I have had magmatic engines overheat, using energy conduits to charge a redstone energycell, but it took a very long time (left the power going while chunkloader kept the engines running while working on other projects, so unsure of how long it eventually took)

Attachments

• 2013-06-07_15.50.01.png
    2013-06-07_15.50.01.png
    687.5 KB · Views: 57

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
BC pipes aren't smart, so don't use them with machines that can use and adjust themselves with smarter pipes. Use the conduits from Thermal Expanion rather than BC pipes.

Basicly with BC wooden pipes it will leave the Magmatic running at full speed forever (or until it overheats). Use the TE pipes and the magmatic will slow itself down to a .5 or so mj/t and not overheat when there is no energy being used.

The information here is wrong, by the way. Just for anyone who finds this necro'd thread. Magmatics sleep because their power buffer overflows. This actually can happen in lots of situations and just because a conduit is there doesn't mean it can't happen.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
How is that wrong?

The BC pipes will continue drawing that power preventing them from sleeping until they blow up.

For one, the magmatic engine will throttle down but never stop. For two, on chunk boundaries weird things will happen still.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
In what way would you say BC Power Conduits are better than the TE ones for engines that can throttle themselves? Where is the advantage for them? Cost to build maybe? That is about all I can think of.

Cost. They're useful in the early game. Also, they've gotten less absurdly bad in 1.5.1. Still worse than conduits. But they don't blow up at 90-deg turns quite so often anymore.