Any Nether disabling mod?

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

When Sevadus was playing Material Energy^3, he gave Parcel a lot of flack for not disabling the Nether dimension since parcel didnt want players to use it. he kept saying if we are not supposed to be in the nether, it should be disabled and there were mods that could do that.

So, my question is, what mod can do this?
I really need to disable the Nether dimension or any way of getting there so it doenst break the lore of my story...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you have recipes that require a flint and steel, easiest way (without having pointless mods) is to remove the crafting recipe for flint and steel :)

I actually don't know of any mods that disable the nether, or any dimension. I know if you are on a server you can disable the nether, but I dunno about singleplayer.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you have recipes that require a flint and steel, easiest way (without having pointless mods) is to remove the crafting recipe for flint and steel :)

That would also require do disable firecharges, fire spread, lightning and any other way of lighting up a nether portal that does not occur to me right now....

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Ghasts, because that happens.
For that, I would need to be already in the Nether, which I want to avoid, so no need to disable the poor friendly Ghast :p

The story I am designing, the player lives in a 'real' world or so he thinks. So... Nether, The End or any kind of dimensions make no sense to him. At least until late game.
I think I can solve the End portal problem, since you cant craft the end portal and I think I can prevent it from being generated in the world. But the nether portal...

I need a way to prevent the creation of a nether portal when you set a square of obsidian blocks on fire...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
For that, I would need to be already in the Nether, which I want to avoid, so no need to disable the poor friendly Ghast :p

The story I am designing, the player lives in a 'real' world or so he thinks. So... Nether, The End or any kind of dimensions make no sense to him. At least until late game.
I think I can solve the End portal problem, since you cant craft the end portal and I think I can prevent it from being generated in the world. But the nether portal...

I need a way to prevent the creation of a nether portal when you set a square of obsidian blocks on fire...
Maybe make obsidian hard to get? Make lava a hard to get resource so you can't make more than 9 obsidian, and then if the player needs more they get it as a quest reward?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe make obsidian hard to get? Make lava a hard to get resource so you can't make more than 9 obsidian, and then if the player needs more they get it as a quest reward?
That is not a valid option. I would not be disabling the Nether, I would be nerfing Lava and Obsidian, which I dont want to do!

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012

not if you have ex nihilo and which water below y=63, (spawns squid which get mutated into ghasts)

also just a wood plank and some lava can ignite the portal (SOP in vanilla sky block)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to say Ex Nihilo has that option, but I mistook it for a configuration option to disable world generation, and not disabling dimensions

Reactions: Randomguy404

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to say Ex Nihilo has that option, but I mistook it for a configuration option to disable world generation, and not disabling dimensions
I thought about it, has a last resort. You would just get a void nether and pray no dungeon near but still.... would be thought to explain why 10 obsidian blocks opened a portal to a void place when dimensions dont exist...

So, if a mod doesnt exist... the next question would be, is it possible to prevent this?
Does MC/Forge gives the "tools" to prevent a nether portal from forming and so, a mod could be made for this or is it not possible at all?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I believe if you had the know how, it'd be possible to do something using an:
@Overwrite
feature when making your own mod, to maybe change obsidian to another block (diamond block, or maybe saplings) to make it damn near impossible to get a portal

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I believe if you had the know how, it'd be possible to do something using an:
@Overwrite
feature when making your own mod, to maybe change obsidian to another block (diamond block, or maybe saplings) to make it damn near impossible to get a portal
You mean... something like Reika does replacing bedrock for "rotarycraft bedrock" and so... the portal mechanic would not work since its a "different" block?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I mean if there are plugins that can do this I'm more than sure a mod could.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I mean if there are plugins that can do this I'm more than sure a mod could.
I don't think there are "plugins" that can do it for the nether tbh. It's vanilla (pardon my swearing) feature of minecraft servers, that you can disable the nether (disable nether portal activation)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't think there are "plugins" that can do it for the nether tbh. It's vanilla (pardon my swearing) feature of minecraft servers, that you can disable the nether (disable nether portal activation)

Essentials also does it but in a way that allows OPs to open them. If anything it being from vanilla means all you'd need to do is hook into an already made method. Either way it should be possible.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Essentials also does it but in a way that allows OPs to open them. If anything it being from vanilla means all you'd need to do is hook into an already made method. Either way it should be possible.
But that would be hooking a multiplayer's jar into a singleplayer's jar?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
But that would be hooking a multiplayer's jar into a singleplayer's jar?
It may be present in both though. Always a possibility.

E: In fact aren't they always the same since the 1.3 update?