1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Any fun uses of octocobble?

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by malicious_bloke, Jan 25, 2017.

1. malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke Over-Achiever

I'm currently benchmarking Colin, using the cobble compressing process as a test.

2017-01-25_08.13.18.png

I'm only at sextuple at the moment, but with a few more layers of processors (and a bunch of extra quarries) I could probably start producing octocobble fairly soon. Is there any point besides bragging rights?

2. GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame Forum Addict

I feel like there was something to do with bedrockium, but it might not be in, depending on what you're using. I'm also not sure that counts as "fun" :p

3. joshwoo70

joshwoo70 New Member

fill a whole chunk full of one of those extremely compressed stuff?

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

4. sgbros1

sgbros1 New Member

how bout a whole chunk of DSUs each filled entirely with octuple compressed cobble?

5. joshwoo70

joshwoo70 New Member

seems like a good idea XD

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

6. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

What I am going to do with mine is use it to make B&W pixel art out of a castle wall. With carpenter blocks overlayed with regular cobblestone and glowstone dust to act as a light source where needed so the whole wall lights up at night, and uses the various levels of compressed cobblestone to do the shading. I think it could look really cool. I'll mix some mossy blocks in there as well.

GamerwithnoGame likes this.
  7. Hambeau

Hambeau Over-Achiever

Such a place should have weird gravitational effects to really be fun... :D

8. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

I'm pretty sure an octuple compressed cobblestone is dense enough to cause a black hole, lol.

9. GamerwithnoGame

Apparently not! :) According to a calculation someone did, you'd need to be at about 28-uple for the schwartzchild radius to be bigger than the block, thus being a black hole.

10. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

Of COURSE someone did the math on this already! This is the internet! lol.

I have to admit, I was just making the assumption :p

ICountFrom0 and GamerwithnoGame like this.
  11. GamerwithnoGame

Hehe :D I quite like that highly compressed cobble (Ok, not octuple, but still) is used to get to the Deep Dark - it makes it sound as though the density is warping spacetime enough to allow passage to and from another dimension.

12. Scottly318

Scottly318 New Member

That my good friends is what happens when someone has an idea and WAY to much free time

13. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Forum Addict

I love such lovely dark blocks, and to have them be so strongly invulnerable? Hard to resist.
    I love the idea of a castle wall of compressed cobble with each layer being a greyscale value in a picture.
    As a witherproof material it can be a little troublesome to get, but I've run that way before.

14. malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke Over-Achiever

This. This nerdery right here. I love this.

Hambeau and GamerwithnoGame like this.
  15. Little14n

Little14n New Member

Its also wither proof

16. sgbros1

sgbros1 New Member

Actually according to my calculations it only has to be a 25-uple cobble

17. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

Wait, by wither proof, do you mean to say that I can use compressed cobblestone to block in a wither that I spawn over, say, a golden spike to make a wither juicer? Does it need to be octo, or will any compressed cobblestone work?

18. Middleclaw

Middleclaw Well-Known Member

To my knowledge only a septuple (7x) or octuple (8x) compressed cobble are witherproof.

19. Drbretto

Drbretto Popular Member

New life goal accepted.

20. GamerwithnoGame

Also, does anyone know whether the witherproof behaviour extends to the highly compressed cobble in Extra Utilities 2?