Any chance on seeing Thaumcraft 6 soon?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

Herbslayer

Just curious, I know it's in beta (and could potentially be a pain), but it would be fun to play with.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I have heard that it has been added to the 1.10.2 version of the All the Mods modpack, but since I throw my own collection of mods together, I can't confirm. I do like the changes so far, though, so I'm back to playing 1.10.2 while I wait for the last few key mods to update to 1.12.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Just as an FYI, Thaumcraft 6.0.BETA6 does not get along with Railcraft 10.3.1 (Minecraft 1.10.2 crash on launch). Something about potion handling and creosote bottles, maybe. Thaumcraft 6.0.BETA5 will launch with Railcraft 10.3.1 installed. Sorry, Railcraft, I like the idea of you, and I love your village building and decorative blocks, but I rarely get around to doing anything significant with cart systems or trains. Thaumcraft wins this one.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Just as an FYI, Thaumcraft 6.0.BETA6 does not get along with Railcraft 10.3.1 (Minecraft 1.10.2 crash on launch). Something about potion handling and creosote bottles, maybe. Thaumcraft 6.0.BETA5 will launch with Railcraft 10.3.1 installed. Sorry, Railcraft, I like the idea of you, and I love your village building and decorative blocks, but I rarely get around to doing anything significant with cart systems or trains. Thaumcraft wins this one.
Given the incompleteness of Railcraft and the fact that many things it adds have fair equivalents elsewhere, I think that's a fair call.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Railcraft definitely gets some kind of record for being the mod most consistently in every one of my packs, and never getting used.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
and never getting used the way it was intended.
ftfy.

RC historically gets an absolute ton of usage, but usually for its (non-railray) peripheral stuff, like its infinite water generation, boilers, and iron tanks. Depending on the pack, its eu-turbines are nice too.

But yeah, in a world with transport-for-free conduits, its hard to justifying using carts for anything.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That is a fair distinction, too.

I didn't even know those features existed, though. :p

Reactions: Pyure
H

Herbslayer

I have heard that it has been added to the 1.10.2 version of the All the Mods modpack, but since I throw my own collection of mods together, I can't confirm. I do like the changes so far, though, so I'm back to playing 1.10.2 while I wait for the last few key mods to update to 1.12.

Thanks, I found it. First time going Twitch, but so far so good. :)

H

Herbslayer

I'm actually quite curious to see if the golems can move liquid starlight into the Tinker tanks.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Looks at EE/Mystcraft. *whistles innocently and walks away*

I'm too enamored with efficiency to bother with trains anymore, played with RC more heavily in the 1.4 days when I really got back into modded and the downsides just bugged me too much.

Edit: Also, try Factorization for "mod added to every pack and never used, like at ALL" back when it didn't have the restrictive license. At least people tend to use and interact with SOME of Railcraft.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Most people aside from Direwolf and Bevo typically made barrels and wrath lamps and that was it. (And messes from playing with the Wrath Igniter.)

I can do efficiency, but I enjoy the effort necessary to make trains behave properly. Not to mention that it keeps the lag down to distribute your various components when linking by train. All those high lag machines can go far away in unrendered chunks rather than being in your base bogging down the world. Plus sitting and watching trains working looks beautiful.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Good point, that was before 15 kinds of flood light and JABBA or Storage Drawers.

My base/outpost building style inevitably creates a dependency web, and requiring buffers everywhere to deal with travel time just seems so wasteful. Much nicer to have item teleportation. Also handles the more dangerous parts of my base more safely... I don't want to deal with my HTGR going critical because trains.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I tend to shift all the buffering to trains. Nothing actually runs until the train turns up, and I don't build stuff that's going to blow up. I get quite enough explosions from locomotives that have decided to go the wrong way down the tracks and head butt incoming trains.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, when one plays with a Reika mod, the failure mode is generally somewhere between "bomb" and "cluster nuclear carpet bomb". Not as spectacular as Draconic Evolution's failure mode, but ReC's explosions irradiate the terrain... and it's NASTY.

I'm going to be playing through Survival Industry, and I might play with it more then... but in the absence of restricted tech, it just fills the wrong niches for my playstyle.

=====

Back on topic, I saw the beta for TC6, and it looks interesting. But I'm not enamored enough with versions after 1.7.10 yet to switch. I really like Reika's mods, and he's pretty set against updating. I really wish that the modding community would make a community project to bring the new features into older versions and version freeze so we could enjoy another time like 1.2.5 and 1.7.10 with lots of good mods that work together. Version creep keeps fracturing the community, and it's sad.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
The problem is, the versions of things like Thermal Expansion were pretty complete for 1.7; so is the one for 1.10-1.12 - and its very different. If you wanted to backport, you'd basically have two alternate versions (which there is precedent for I think) but I also think some changes may actually rely on the base differences in minecraft code. Even between 1.10 and 1.12 - taking Environmental Tech as an example, the 1.12 version introduces not only a whole load of new things, but a new way of doing things.

I honestly think 1.12 will be our version freeze for this generation, and - as often happens - some mods just don't make it across. I'm playing with ChromatiCraft for the first time and really enjoying it; 1.7.10 still has legs, but you're never going to get backported features for the vast majority of mods. Its just not going to happen.

Ultimately, I think that the best way is forward.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite what I meant. I mean something similar to Et Futurum, only more complete. An "every vanilla feature from every version past this one" probably open-source community project mod.

And actually there are compatability layer type mods... I want to say @FyberOptic made one for both directions (let 1.2.5 mods work in 1.7.10 and let... 1.8 mods? work in 1.7.10), they weren't the most successful mods in the world because of lots of reasons, but they *do* exist. What I want is a method of avoiding that as much as possible. Sponge, Version Freeze, mod author project handoffs, whatever. The less permanent mod attrition the better in my eyes.

I don't think 1.13 will be the next 1.7, or even 1.6; Mojang's got 1.13 in the snapshots now and it's not looking like a long dev cycle this time. In any case, relying on Mojang to be slow to get more than a handful of decent mods beyond the compulsive updaters, is just silly.

The best way is forward, when you can take along your old friends.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ohh ok! I see what you mean now :)

But I don’t think 1.13 will be either - I think that mods (not Minecraft, but the modding scene) will stay relatively static at 1.12. Because no-one can keep up with the compulsive updating, but where we’re at with 1.12 is a really nice point. What I DO think we may get in particular is vanilla things from 1.13 onwards being backported - I think there will be a desire for that.