ANIME AVATARS!

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Qazplm601, Sep 20, 2014.

1. goreae

goreae Ultimate Murderous Fiend

Well magic is a bad example because that's a lore thing. Magic does exist in that particular piece of fiction. The existence of magic in that world is a fact. The ability to dtaw one's sword effectively from ones back is not a fact unless you're mister fantastic.

pc_assassin likes this.
  2. Loufmier

Loufmier New Member

which may as well be a fact of that world :p

goreae and pc_assassin like this.
  3. Azzanine

Azzanine New Member

Even if you where mr/ms fantastic it would still be better to draw a sword from the side.
    That's also an aspect of that Lindy Beige channel. He's aware that fantacy has some wriggle room for suspending disbelief. But fantasy that incorporates some level of consistent logic is usually more satisfying.
    Even magic can have rules it follows. For example magic can bend the laws of physics but not entirely break them, or you can break them but you need to be powerful or it has a great consequence for the world.
    Magic that just seems like an "I win" button is usually lame.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

4. Wagon153

Wagon153 New Member

Maybe true, but I can't say the fact that their swords were on their backs really took anything away from the story and gameplay of the Witcher series. Personally, I think the bringing up of the whole swords on the back thing is just pedantry for the sake of being pedantic. Or maybe it's just me failing to care at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pc_assassin likes this.
  5. Loufmier

Loufmier New Member

self-imposed limitation, then?

pc_assassin likes this.
  6. goreae

though if you were mr fantastic, carrying your sword on your back may be more convenient than carrying it to the side, if you don't care as much about efficiency. Your elastic body could help bide time while you get to your sword and it just seems easier having it on your back.

pc_assassin likes this.
  7. LivingAngryCheese

LivingAngryCheese Over-Achiever

Technically you can draw a sword from your back, it just has to be really short (pretty much a knife :p), but having some experience with swords has taught me that drawing from the side would be so much more efficient.

pc_assassin likes this.
  8. lenscas

lenscas Over-Achiever

I believe he also brings up both points (or was that another video where he did that). However he also immediately destroys said points :p

9. LivingAngryCheese

What said points?

pc_assassin likes this.
  10. lenscas

lenscas Over-Achiever

The shorter sword and if there are advantages to wear a sword on your back instead of on your side.

pc_assassin likes this.
  11. LivingAngryCheese

I just said there aren't advantages and the short sword I know would be impractical xD

Bigdbigd03 and pc_assassin like this.
  12. Lethosos

Lethosos New Member

I'mma gonna say one word to help you decide on this topic:

Iajitsu.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

13. pc_assassin

pc_assassin New Member

Legitsu?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Bigdbigd03 likes this.
  14. lenscas

lenscas Over-Achiever

And....you probably missed the point :p
    He wasn't just talking about during a fight but also carrying the weapon without it being needed right now, for example when you are traveling. In that case it might be nicer to have it on your back.

Just, keep in mind though that I am currently kind of playing devils advocate as I also dislike characters that have a sword on their back since I saw that video.

15. Lethosos

Lethosos New Member

*hands PC a tsundre*

Iajitsu is, roughly, the samurai's speed-draw. It's primarily used in standoff duels, much like a cowboy showdown but instead of shooting, it's snapping into a run for a single, deadly stroke.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

16. RJS

RJS New Member

I think the main thing with the over the shoulder draw is because Witchers have two swords, steel and silver. It'd be impractical to carry both swords at the hip, so they wear them across the back. Ciri, while only having one sword and not being a witcher, was nonetheless trained by them and presumably adopted some of the mannerisms and approaches.

17. Strikingwolf

Strikingwolf New Member

[​IMG]
    Spice and wolf and damnit amarty

18. goreae

New avatar! I'm still using genocider syo on discord, but now I'm korra, and my avatar is the avatar from avatar. Which is awesome.

19. Azzanine

Azzanine New Member

Mobile version of the forum must be odd because your Avatar is still Toph to me... but your profile does look different.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

20. goreae

The mobile version must not work with gravatar too well then.