An incredible thought just occurred to me...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
In 1.7 with the removal of the id system all worlds /should/ be convertible to any other 1.7+ works correct? So that means the world you have for 1.7 can be used when you get to 1.8 without any tomfoolery or shenanigans... Anyone that knows more than me please correct me if I'm wrong

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.7 with the removal of the id system all worlds /should/ be convertible to any other 1.7+ works correct? So that means the world you have for 1.7 can be used when you get to 1.8 without any tomfoolery or shenanigans... Anyone that knows more than me please correct me if I'm wrong

not exactly true... there are mods who will change their codes drastically from one minecraft version to another, some even don't wait for another minecraft version to do a complete rewrite of their code
when that happens, your current world may become unable to use the new version of the mod, or you could still update your world, but lose certain blocks and items or you can miss some important world generation.
sometimes a mod that gets completely rewritten can still be used in the same world, but it also happens sometimes where this is not possible.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If you've been paying attention to your forge logs recently you might have seen a warning message about mods and items that will break hard with the 1.7 update, a big one for this seems to be Metallurgy 3, oddly enough(not that it's all fine ATM for me, to the point I'd assume I'm using an outdated version of it).

So my understanding is some will be able to transfer things just fine, and some will need recoding first. Y'know, assuming the 1.7 update doesn't muck tons of things up that coders use, which is basically a 0% chance, and the number of things that need fixing is going down with every forge update AFAIK.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
@YX33A
The original post was about how a world created in 1.7 should be fine for all updates 1.7 onwards (so our 1.6 worlds will still break)

A single mod updating shouldn't ever break the world bad enough for a restart.. should it..?
If not, we'll get extremely long lived worlds with up to date mods too