An idiot on an adventure to build a Nuclear Reactor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
So after my last adventure to build a quarry I decided I needed a new project.

I was going to build a solar powered quarry since it's good, clean, green power, and if there's 1 thing I like to do is help out Mother Earth. Then I saw how much Iridium it takes to make an advanced solar panel.
I've decided, screw the environment, all the cool kids play with Nuclear Reactors.

Talked to my server owner and he has expressed grave concerns over my plans, especially when it comes to safety and past experiences. Lessons learnt though, Electric furnaces shouldn't be plugged directly into MFSU's and an Aqueous Accumulator cannot cool 3 Combustion engines at the same time.

In an attempt to limit damage and nuclear fallout, the owner has provided me with a room.

xjt3.jpg

Plenty of warning signs to deter anyone stupid enough to walk near my work area and hazmat suits for anyone who lacks common sense.

kqsm.jpg

This is the main room, despite it's welcoming appearance, the owner took the time to reinforce the whole room with a fair amount of reinforced stone.

2jag.jpg

And here's my baby!
Just the chamber and 6 reactors at the moment. I've had to stop because I have no idea what I'm doing and the owner dislikes my my attitude of "winging it" when it comes to building Chernobyl.

Can anyone give me some pointers or links to guides? Of course, safety takes priority.

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to avoid explosions at all costs, google stable designs. That's what I've always done, because I usually host my nuclear reactor right in my house, within a creeper-blast of other valuable things. I trust the designs so much that I've never bothered with reinforced stone, etc --- or maybe because I just can't afford it.
Your arrangement there looks like it's fairly ideal for experimenting.

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
Neat build.

I will definitely try to build some sort of water pool to submerge my reactor in when I finally do try building one. It just feels so appropriate :p

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I like your design! You definitely put a lot of effort into making it both safe and authentic.

Thankfully, in this day and age we have this beautiful thread that'll get anyone started on uranium reactor designs for 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6.The running cost calculations are somewhat outdated, so choose based on stock performance.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm having a bit of trouble with IndustrialCraft Reactor Planner version 3, Java keeps blocking it because it's unsafe? :eek:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm having a bit of trouble with IndustrialCraft Reactor Planner version 3, Java keeps blocking it because it's unsafe? :eek:
An odd question, but did you upgrade to Java 7u51? I've heard of a few Java applications that break with this update due to some different way it checks the apps.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out I need to lower my Java security level.

Thanks for all the links, I went with "Beginner Reactor 3", something small to dip my toe into before I started popping out 3 eyes fish.

3a77.jpg

All wired up to 2 MFSU and ready to go.

sz7v.jpg

So I flipped the switch and jack **** happened, other then a nice green light, illuminating my failure.

1r2o.jpg

This is the setup, I'm sure I followed the diagram correctly.
Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out I need to lower my Java security level.

Thanks for all the links, I went with "Beginner Reactor 3", something small to dip my toe into before I started popping out 3 eyes fish.

3a77.jpg

All wired up to 2 MFSU and ready to go.

sz7v.jpg

So I flipped the switch and jack **** happened, other then a nice green light, illuminating my failure.

1r2o.jpg

This is the setup, I'm sure I followed the diagram correctly.
Can anyone see where I went wrong?

You might check with the server provider, some people have the reactors setup to only produce steam to run a turbine. Which in turn means they will not produce EU directly and you need a TON of steel to get a Railcraft steam turbine setup.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Vtecem's assessment. The fuel rods are ticking so the reactor should be producing something.

Also note that if you play on 1.6 with IC2 Experimental, the EU reader is broken and won't show anything because the e-net is in the middle of being reworked. In that case, doublecheck in the MFSUs that you're really not getting anything.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 experimental reactors show heat and EU output in the GUI. They need a cable and a place to put the power to actually make any though.

Reactor safety can be cheesed several ways. Nuclear control lets you auto-shutdown at a certain temperature, and some fluids are completely blast proof and nuke safe. My reactor sits in a pool of Tinker's Construct blue slime, which is both good and bad.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
I got the reactor hooked up to 2 MFSU's, neither are receiving power.
Won't be able to get hold of the owner till tonight, but is there a way to tell if the reactor is producing steam? never played around with steam before, but I tried hooking up some waterproof piping, but nothing sticks to the block.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Won't be able to get hold of the owner till tonight, but is there a way to tell if the reactor is producing steam? never played around with steam before, but I tried hooking up some waterproof piping, but nothing sticks to the block.

One possibility, the server is setup to output steam via nuclear reactors... However, your install (client) is still set as the default. Either you need to have an admin provide you with the correct set of configs or you can change the IC2 config yourself.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
stick a fluiduct or BC pipe on it.
if it fills with steam, there you go.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Can't do anymore testing, servers down for the night, but I got the owner to send me the server config.

generator-settings=
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=true
spawn-animals=true
snooper-enabled=true
hardcore=false
texture-pack=
online-mode=true
pvp=true
difficulty=1
enable-command-block=false
gamemode=0
max-players=20
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=10
spawn-protection=16
motd=Welcome

As I said earlier, I tried sticking a waterproof pipe on reactor, but it wouldn't connect, just hung in the air.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Can't do anymore testing, servers down for the night, but I got the owner to send me the server config.

generator-settings=
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=false
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=true
spawn-animals=true
snooper-enabled=true
hardcore=false
texture-pack=
online-mode=true
pvp=true
difficulty=1
enable-command-block=false
gamemode=0
max-players=20
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=10
spawn-protection=16
motd=Welcome

As I said earlier, I tried sticking a waterproof pipe on reactor, but it wouldn't connect, just hung in the air.

That is the config for the server.jar, not the config for any mods (IC2).

Here's a snippet of the IC2 config, bold print is what you'd be looking for.

# Enable logging of players when they remove a machine using a wrench
B:enableLoggingWrench=true

# Enable usage of lapotron crystals on miners
B:enableMinerLapotron=false

# Enable activation of the quantum leggings' speed boost when sprinting instead of holding the boost key
B:enableQuantumSpeedOnSprint=true

# Enable hiding of secret recipes in CraftGuide/NEI
B:enableSecretRecipeHiding=true
B:enableSteamReactor=true

# Enable calculation of inventory weight when going through a teleporter
B:enableTeleporterInventory=true

# Enable generation of copper in the world
B:enableWorldGenOreCopper=false[DOUBLEPOST=1390272721][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just fyi, thats what happens when either.
A. they server is not setup to accept steam from the reactor.
B. the server is setup to use the reactor for steam, but your client config isn't therefore it doesn't render correctly.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
If you just want to test design stability, you can throw something together in a creative world. There were some interesting changes in tolerances of the nuclear reactor at some point in the 1.4.7 days. Almost blew up the whole base (except I have fail safes).