An idiot on an adventure to build a Bee Brothel (Extra Bees)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
For my next adventure, I've decided to go a bit more low tech and dabble in bees.
Sadly, so far it's proving more complicated then a Nuclear Reactor.

My basic goal at the moment is to get Ruby bees, I've got as far as trying to combine Water and Resilient bees to make Lapis, though no Lapis bees so far.

Here's my setup.

bees2.png

bees1.png

I have most of the machines from the Extra Bees mod.
  • Genepool
  • Isolator
  • Replicator
  • Synthesizer
  • Purifer
  • Inoculator

And out of shot, I have
  • Sequencer
  • Splicer

Now my major problem is that I have no idea how to use these machines to make my life easier.
Can anyone give me a breakdown?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Genepool - Use to process unwanted bees into Bee DNA (BNA)
Isolator - Used to isolate traits from bees into Serums - traits can be anything from bee species to humidity/temp
Synthesizer and Purifier - Used to make your serums have more Runs and Quality - Requires BNA
Inoculator - Take a serum and princess/drone and inject the serum trait into the bee
Replicator - used to copy Serums (mainly to give to other players)

Throw any unwanted bees into the Genepool to make BNA.

When you mix breeds and get a new breed (and it's pure) keep breeding and throw the extra drones into the Isolator until you get the bee species, this then allows you to Inoculate a bee should your breeding degrade into a previous species.

When you need to use the serums max the runs and quality out in the Synthesizer and Purifier before using the Inoculator to inject the bee.

Keep ALL Rocky bees they make for good production bees, injecting a species trait into a Rocky is something I do all the time once I reach the desired species I was aiming for.

Good line to start - Maroon Bees for triple honey
Then go for Imperials (Royal Jelly) and Industrious (Pollen) so you can start Alveary production which makes everything easier.

Reactions: Delcar and Padfoote

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Use three Soul Frames in the apiaries where you want a mutation to happen (e.g. Water + Resilient => Lapis).

Reactions: Odovbold

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

Tried playing around a bit and got max fertility on my resilient bees.
But is there a reliable way to get more princesses? Because at the moment I need either more Resilient or Water Princess, from my understanding I can either go hunting for more Water bees, or I can breed Hardy + Tolerant in the hope of getting a Resilient princess, then use a Resilient serum on it to turn it into a pure strain.

Also does any1 use the Sequencer or Splicer?

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

But is there a reliable way to get more princesses? Because at the moment I need either more Resilient or Water Princess, from my understanding I can either go hunting for more Water bees, or I can breed Hardy + Tolerant in the hope of getting a Resilient princess, then use a Resilient serum on it to turn it into a pure strain.

You can only have one princess but multiple drones.

ESchrodingersCat

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

Run some resilient drones through the isolator until you get the Resilient species serum. Then, inoculate some random princess of any kind that you don't need (Make sure to keep running it through the inoculator until both the active and passive species traits are Resilient). It'll take a few minutes but it's quicker than hunting water princesses or breeding, and you can make as many princesses as you have spare princesses and liquid DNA.

CaseyRobinson

Jul 29, 2019
Run some resilient drones through the isolator until you get the Resilient species serum. Then, inoculate some random princess of any kind that you don't need (Make sure to keep running it through the inoculator until both the active and passive species traits are Resilient). It'll take a few minutes but it's quicker than hunting water princesses or breeding, and you can make as many princesses as you have spare princesses and liquid DNA.

Or let your Resilient princess cycle in an apiary until you have a stack of a dozen spare drones, then let the new princess cycle with those drones until all her offspring are the same and stacking with the initial batch of drones. When that happens your new princess has all the same traits as the old one. It's best to use unanalyzed drones for this, so the new offspring can stack. Add lifespan reducing frames to speed up the process.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
I Keep in mind some mutations to some species require a little extra something. Some bees will only mutate if there is a certain biome, others need ores under them.

Lapis bees and so forth are amung the harder ones to get at only 5% chanse for the queen to mutate into one.

What I would recommend you doing when you DO get one is store it away for later and work on getting a second. Then use a BEE HOUSE to breed them to one of the other bees. The bee house will prevent further mutations and you'll always get back one or both of the bees bred. Use this to start mass produsing the bees you need. Don't risk dumping it into the genome, as you may not pull out the species and end up losing the bee.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the replies, slowly understanding it.
Finally got my Lapis bee, got it pure bred and made a serum.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
generally with serums, I find I want/need each of the species, the one that cancels its effect, min fertility, max fertility, tolerance serums, and either no or flowers pollination.

species serums to make backup pairs of princess/drones of each species, and to transmute rocky ones for breeding.

min fertility for production runs, to eliminate excess drones
max fertility for breeding and drone production for BNA.

effect canceling, because some have nasty effects.
tolerance serums so I don't need an artic or desert biome nearby.
no, flowers, or rock flower required, so I don't need the specialty stuff like vines or lily pads.

don't bother with sequencer/splicer IMO, the first machine sets, minus the replicator, is all you need.

make an acclimatizer, run a few bees through it with sand, lava, ice, and water to get +/- 4 humidity and heat tolerances. once you get the serums though you don't need it.

as bobster said, go for industrial and imperial bees as two of your first breedings to get alvearys goings. they help a LOT.

it may also be worth it if you can to set up a nether star farm to build oblivion frames and make the breeding go faster. (1 cycle, or a bit over half a minute)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[snip]
it may also be worth it if you can to set up a nether star farm to build oblivion frames and make the breeding go faster. (1 cycle, or a bit over half a minute)
Just would like to correct this piece of information, in the latest magic bees, to make oblivion frames you need a dragon egg per frame not a nether star.

(There's a bee species which can make draconic dust which you can then craft into a dragon egg to get multiples of it)

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Just would like to correct this piece of information, in the latest magic bees, to make oblivion frames you need a dragon egg per frame not a nether star.

(There's a bee species which can make draconic dust which you can then craft into a dragon egg to get multiples of it)
ah, thank you.
that sounds a lot easier and safer than messing with withers.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
what i hate about extra bees is that you need to get industrious(?) bees to get royal jelly to just start with basic serums . .-.
personally i never got more than noble bee . :S

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
what i hate about extra bees is that you need to get industrious(?) bees to get royal jelly to just start with basic serums . .-.
personally i never got more than noble bee . :S
Imperial bees for those, but in my opinion I quite like it

It's saying, 'well you want to skip the traditional breeding system? Alright, you can do that after you go through it just a little bit.'

Reactions: Delcar