Am I the Only One that Prefers EBXL over BoP?

BoP or EBXL? Which one do you like better?

• Total voters

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
More people seem to prefer BoP, in fact, none of the 1.5/1.6 modpacks use EBXL. I like it better, the colors seem brighter, more vibrant. In BoP, the colors look worse and there's to much tall grass or flowers or whatever they are.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, unfortunately most mods have compatibility issues with XBXL these days (ie Better Dungeons only spawning in Vanilla biomes, GregTech ores not spawning properly, etc). I find that XBXL just looks better in general.

Last edited:

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer BoP it just seems to be more realistic (whatever that word means in minecraft) I've never seen bush without grasses\flowers and shit growing under the trees. I've never seen a swamp that has as little growth as a minecraft swamp either or bald hills with no major vegetation (unless heavily grazed) meh just what I like I suppose.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, unfortunately most mods have compatibility with XBXL these days (ie Better Dungeons only spawning in Vanilla biomes, GregTech ores not spawning properly, etc). I find that XBXL just looks better in general.

Wait, did you mean BoP? Cause you're saying that you prefer EBXL, and then you say that unfortunately mods are compatible with it?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
for me Biome's o Plenty is just... too much content.
I like the biomes, but I prefer a flat green area like plains to live in, but with Biome's o Plenty enabled, it can be quite difficult to find that spot.
now ExtraBiomesXL also has this problem, the area you prefer is hard to find, but the problem with ExtraBiomesXL is as mentioned, there's not much compatibility with other mods, which makes it hard to use in a modded world

I've to admit I've created quite a few worlds the past few days, one time with BoP enabled, the other time not, and I just can't decide what I prefer more

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
ATG anyone? I tried it out in Horizons, and it's awesome! Think it would work better with EBXL than with BoP, so if that compability comes, I suggest trying that.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I do prefer Bop but for the worlds that I like the most I tend to disable 2/3s of the biomes because I like to increase the chances that I will be able to find the sort of area I want to build in without having to spend ages exploring. I have made 2 very different worlds like this and the variety in Biome types are very nice so even if I disable lots of biomes in a particular instance I am still glad I am using BOP

Reactions: Molten and RedBoss

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
i like extra biomes over BOP. BOP seems like a cluster mucker of tiny random biomes that seem so outof place and there are so few flat terrians in it it is so hard to find areas to make nice building areas

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
While a fair amount of BoP's biomes are ugly, practically ALL of EBXL's are ugly. Highlands is either too bland or too extreme for me.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with BoP here.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
XBXL- too many mod compatibility issues, as well as a footprint that burns down lower-end systems.
ATG- it would be an awesome addon if it were actually compatible with Highlands/BoP/xbxl. as it is, it's too many slopes. everything slopes. it takes massive terrain modifications just to make farms. if you add cofh core, double all the ore spawns, use the ore clumping mod, and double Ore's X ranges, it's actually pretty cool. You still build all your big stuff at sea level, though.
Highlands- Disable all the non-vanilla terrains, and the highlands trees, and it STILL rocks as just an addon.
BoP- not bad, mostly compatible with everything, cotton plants, apple trees, but TOO many biomes. finding what you need can become problematic. Default config also sucks.
Terrain&generation tweaks- Put it in everything :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
BoP has Jungle Spiders, EBXL doesn't. Nuff said.
In SSP I've just disabled a ton of stuff with BoP. Jungle spiders are just a nuisance for no reason. I remember they ran me out of my lovely oasis biome base back in 1.5. I also disable the sky colors since they're annoying. I've been in swamps and bayous and the sky isn't green. It's usually a deep, beautiful blue if it isn't raining.

I haven't checked out xbxl since 1.4.7. It'd be worth looking into if they've added a few new biomes. If I were to sample another biome mod I'd have to know they had a Mesa type biome full of hardened clay. It's the one thing that BoP has that makes me fine with waiting for the update to 1.7 and beyond.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer vanilla biomes. That said, I do really like what ATG can do. Made some really nice looking worlds with that.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
In SSP I've just disabled a ton of stuff with BoP. Jungle spiders are just a nuisance for no reason. I remember they ran me out of my lovely oasis biome base back in 1.5. I also disable the sky colors since they're annoying. I've been in swamps and bayous and the sky isn't green. It's usually a deep, beautiful blue if it isn't raining.
Yeah Jungle Spiders always seem to spawn in the best biomes; Tropics, rainforest, springs, swampy areas. And sky colors end up giving me a headache if I travel too much, because it seems to jump from a bright yellow to a dark blue as much as it possibly can, which is unfortunate because adventure is my favorite part of Minecraft.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Jungle Spiders always seem to spawn in the best biomes; Tropics, rainforest, springs, swampy areas. And sky colors end up giving me a headache if I travel too much, because it seems to jump from a bright yellow to a dark blue as much as it possibly can, which is unfortunate because adventure is my favorite part of Minecraft.
Thank goodness for configs but it doesn't help with server play unless the owner is of a similar mindset. I can sympathize with the headache triggers. I suffer from migraines, so I know the feeling.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's only 2 biomes I disable in BoP, compared with the over 1/3rd from EXBL. BoP has fine detail in each Biome, colours are nice and balanced, terrain is interesting. Flat terrain is not an issue when you have a series of mods that can help flatten areas.

There also a config option in BoP to make the change in the colours even more gradual/smoother. I maxed this setting out.