AM i Crazy to think to play this way (no form of quarries)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
been playing modded minecraft now for a long time and i talked with me minecraft friends about an idea that would ban an automated method to gather up earth/ore and possibly some automated farming.

most said they wouldn't play.

but after so long of playing, its ok who gets the quarry first up and running then bam kind of feels like creative now for raw resources.

i feel we have lost our way for what the heart of minecraft is, to gather and trade items with friend. if we all have quarries running no need to trade anymore

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I've played like that on numerous occasions when the map gets reset or I move to a diff mod pack/server.

I find it much more of a challenge and much more fulfilling when accomplishing anything.

I remember EE from 1.2.5 days where your aim as to get collectors up and running then it was game over, quarry's aren't quite on the same level but are big spoilers for the lazy.

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's a perfectly valid way to play. Some people like to dig by hand and explore, others prefer to make exciting automated systems, some are in it for the builds, and others like to carve their will into the landscape.

If you are looking to have a better trading experience, maybe you can start a role playing world where each player gets to pick only one or two main mods, and they are only allowed to craft things from that mod. One can focus on Buildcraft, another on Thaumcraft, or Blood Magic, or Botania, or Railcraft, or Rotarycraft, or MFR. That should keep it fun and challenging, since there's no one mod that's best at everything, and they each have their strengths. Build a village with a mansion for each player, themed according to their primary mod. The possibilities are endless! :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
You're not crazy. Mining is a big part of minecraft, its one way you judge just how much effort you have invested. But things like quarries and automatic farms basically just create infinite material from nothing.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
You're not crazy. Mining is a big part of minecraft, its one way you judge just how much effort you have invested. But things like quarries and automatic farms basically just create infinite material from nothing.
mining is about 5/9 of it.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
If I have a decent Tinker's hammer I can usually get enough materials for what I need.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Don't try to define minecraft for everyone and don't search for validation of the things you enjoy and how you enjoy them. If you think not using automated mining would be fun; go for it. I would say not to try and force your friends to do the same and don't back off of the idea of doing it because your friends aren't.

It is personally how I enjoy the game most of the time. I spend hours upon hours caving and searching for resources. You'll be amazed just how quickly you get resources. For a good amount of time early on manually mining accumulates ~5x the resources of automated mining. Then again many people find my type of playstyle odd because I also like to fill drum upon drum by hand with lava or manually cutting thousands of logs with a normal axe. I enjoy it though. So do what you want.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_Game

^Minecraft

I personally like to do both. I enjoy going caving and spelunking and making amazing complex mineshafts and also having quarries running at the same time. It just seems fun to me. Minecraft is a sandbox game and is only limited to how creative you are.

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
Don't try to define minecraft for everyone and don't search for validation of the things you enjoy and how you enjoy them. If you think not using automated mining would be fun; go for it. I would say not to try and force your friends to do the same and don't back off of the idea of doing it because your friends aren't.

It is personally how I enjoy the game most of the time. I spend hours upon hours caving and searching for resources. You'll be amazed just how quickly you get resources. For a good amount of time early on manually mining accumulates ~5x the resources of automated mining. Then again many people find my type of playstyle odd because I also like to fill drum upon drum by hand with lava or manually cutting thousands of logs with a normal axe. I enjoy it though. So do what you want.
Heh, I hear ya. I have a friend who plays with only harvestcraft and bibliocraft installed. They manually create and farm a field for each and every crop and try to fill the shelves of their own little supermarket.

Reactions: Museli and Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, I hear ya. I have a friend who plays with only harvestcraft and bibliocraft installed. They manually create and farm a field for each and every crop and try to fill the shelves of their own little supermarket.
That actually sounds quite fun. I might try this sometime.

Reactions: Xheotris