Alternative crafting on demand system

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
S

scrymmy

Hello everyone, so after searching google and forums for too long, i come to the conclusion that directly asking for your colllective wisdom is probably my best option. So i've recently set up a sorting and organisational system with steves factory manager because although i have the ressources i dont want to set up an ae2 system bc its too "easy" (before you judge im fully aware that sfm is cheaper and less craft heavy than the me system but i am referring to the simplicity of automating everything after its set up, and i dont think it's justified by expensive recipes). I quite like using more niche mods such as sfm, router reborn and project red transportation, which is another reason im not using the me system. So i've set up a system that sorts all my stuff into barrels and autocrafts all the important smaller things with sfm, so i always have those on hand. Now the problem is that i would like to have things like pulverizers, generators and more expensive recipes on demand rather than auto bc Im not that rich... so i have a few ideas as to how this could work: 1) the obvious choice is to set up a request pipe hooked up to chests, which stockkeep all the important blocks and items, and crafters of which i then can request the more expensive things. Problems are that project red pipes are slightly buggy, inconsistent and slow 2) quite interestingly i could set up a chest with all the blueprints of the expensive stuff in it and then whenever i need something i just grab the recipe and put it in another chest which is constantly checked by the sfm system and if a specific blueprint is detected it activates the recipe and sends the item/block in that chest. Im quite fond of this system but it's probably quite hard to set up and i dont know if this even works... 3) setting up a pseudo me system without any drives but hooking it up to an assembler which draws from all the barrels. Problems: boring and expensive although probably the most intuitive and low-maintance 4) i dont know i would love suggestions, ideas, tweaks and feedback from all of you guys, so fire away! Yeah, sorry for the long post...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I thought "Collective Wisdom" was an oxymoron... :D

Seriously, be prepared for as many opinions as there are crafting mods multiplied by 70.7% of the modded playerbase.

Reactions: scrymmy and rhn
S

scrymmy

Sadly my modpack doesnt have lp although this gives me reason to search
I appreciate all opinions so im prepared for that

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
ahh the memories of pipes and computercraft computers everywhere in a big jumbled mess :) now i feel the need to start a new world and do that, just for old times sake

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to do it really oldschool, see how far you can get by crafting everything manually.

The most important tip is to craft extra things when you can afford it - e.g. when you run out of pistons, craft a stack of pistons all at once.

The other oldschool way to do it is to use auto-workbenches fed from chests, then put the right amount of stuff in the chests.

S

scrymmy

Yeah i guess that is sensible... but its not confusing enough! No but i'll probably have to stick to that