Alright FTB Continuum

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
My opinion has changed. You're not bad, but not good either.
There's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing which sets it apart.
When I'm choosing a game or pack to play, I ask myself, why is this GAME better than that game? Right? What makes this game better than that game?
Continuum doesn't do anything wrong really, but it doesn't do anything right. There's no like, fantastic cool thing or amazing mechanic to learn to use. Its just the same thing which isn't wrong, but it isn't like a breakthrough so to say.
It's not bad, but it's not like top tier.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Honestly, your problem is 99% your own expectations. It's like you were looking for some transcendent experience.

Infinity is an impossible standard to live up to.

Infinity wasn't even infinity when infinity was first released. It takes time for a classic to become a classic.

IOW, give Continuum some time before you write your third review (well, third review since release, you were criticizing it before it even came out).

And, some advice, let the game be what it is first. Try to understand it and evaluate it from that perspective, not based on your personal expectations for what this kind of pack is "supposed" to be in your eyes.

Reactions: grandrolf

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing it in a hybrid creative/survival mode, using suvival when i'm at my base, and using creative so I can fly around the world at decent speed and cover a lot of territory - mainly to see what's out there, what's in this modpack.

I really haven't found many reasons to leave the base area. One obvious reason is to reach those turquoise or purple islands in the sky that spawn slimes which drop the Tinkers Construct slimeballs. Another good reason to get out and look around is for Pam's Harvestcraft "Gardens", which contain all the seeds necessary for making the hundreds of different Pam's food recipes, given how 'Spice Of Life' mod is in the pack (even if it is supposedly nerfed somehow).

I'm trying to make a "simple" Backpack, and it requires 4 Hardened Leather. The easiest way I see to make it is to obtain some candleberries, which can be turned into beeswax, in order to make the leather. However... in all my searching, I found zero "Berry Gardens" (they don't exist in JEI) and didn't get a single Candleberry seed in my travels. I think I found every other seed possible, including all the other berries (they seem to be distributed among all the various Garden blocks, except for that mysterious candleberry).

Since this is a hard pack, I suppose the missing Candleberry seeds in worldgen had been done on purpose? And thus, using candleberry to make the Backpack is only possible once we've achieved the Pam's Marketplace block to purchase a seed with emeralds? Makes sense if so... but it's a bummer. LOL But at least the lack of Candleberry doesn't also affect another mod (Thaumcraft, Ordo aspect)... since that mod isn't even in this pack. hehe

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've been playing it in a hybrid creative/survival mode, using suvival when i'm at my base, and using creative so I can fly around the world at decent speed and cover a lot of territory - mainly to see what's out there, what's in this modpack.

I really haven't found many reasons to leave the base area. One obvious reason is to reach those turquoise or purple islands in the sky that spawn slimes which drop the Tinkers Construct slimeballs. Another good reason to get out and look around is for Pam's Harvestcraft "Gardens", which contain all the seeds necessary for making the hundreds of different Pam's food recipes, given how 'Spice Of Life' mod is in the pack (even if it is supposedly nerfed somehow).

I'm trying to make a "simple" Backpack, and it requires 4 Hardened Leather. The easiest way I see to make it is to obtain some candleberries, which can be turned into beeswax, in order to make the leather. However... in all my searching, I found zero "Berry Gardens" (they don't exist in JEI) and didn't get a single Candleberry seed in my travels. I think I found every other seed possible, including all the other berries (they seem to be distributed among all the various Garden blocks, except for that mysterious candleberry).

Since this is a hard pack, I suppose the missing Candleberry seeds in worldgen had been done on purpose? And thus, using candleberry to make the Backpack is only possible once we've achieved the Pam's Marketplace block to purchase a seed with emeralds? Makes sense if so... but it's a bummer. LOL But at least the lack of Candleberry doesn't also affect another mod (Thaumcraft, Ordo aspect)... since that mod isn't even in this pack. hehe
Bees, my friend. Pams has little beehives, and they aren't nearly as annoying as the Forestry kind, in that you can break them pretty easily. And the bee boxes produce waxy combs and honeycombs. Waxy combs can be turned into wax, honeycombs turned into honey in the Presser. Wax can then be used to make your reinforced leather.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Bees, my friend. Pams has little beehives, and they aren't nearly as annoying as the Forestry kind, in that you can break them pretty easily. And the bee boxes produce waxy combs and honeycombs. Waxy combs can be turned into wax, honeycombs turned into honey in the Presser. Wax can then be used to make your reinforced leather.

Also candleberry seeds... Either luck out and find one, or find 2 emeralds, one for the market, one for the seed.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Well, I haven't played it yet myself but the EFab looks kind of interesting. I will mostly start a game once I finish DW20 1.12, my 4yr old asked me to make a Guardian Farm so it will be a bit. Even with modded clearing out the Water and temple take a while.

I think Continuum has a lot of potential. If a hardcore/expert version is in the planning I think it could be done well with lots of cool custom crafts and what not.

And remember, When Infinity came out, before Evolved or Expert, it was just a mediocre Mostly Run of the mill Kitchen-SInk. Look where that went with time.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Well, I haven't played it yet myself but the EFab looks kind of interesting. I will mostly start a game once I finish DW20 1.12, my 4yr old asked me to make a Guardian Farm so it will be a bit. Even with modded clearing out the Water and temple take a while.

I think Continuum has a lot of potential. If a hardcore/expert version is in the planning I think it could be done well with lots of cool custom crafts and what not.

And remember, When Infinity came out, before Evolved or Expert, it was just a mediocre Mostly Run of the mill Kitchen-SInk. Look where that went with time.

Oh I'm well aware of what infinity was :) had a server for my friends with it...

I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot more mods available at this time (not counting thaumcraft, as it's still beta) that are not in here that could be in here. There is nothing for magic based mods (hello Astral Sorcery/Botania) and the most basic of basic mods listed.

FTB modpacks have a set of mods that they can't seem to look past. Yes the classics are fine, but damn folks, there is soo much more now...

At least I can give them props for putting in a space exploration mod... guessing there's some ore gated behind that for sure!

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
At least I can give them props for putting in a space exploration mod... guessing there's some ore gated behind that for sure!
Tier 6 void ore miner is required to get Dilithium. And the Environmental Tech decoration blocks only generate on the planets which are needed to make the Quarry card.
But why the Quarry card when you already have the Tier 6 void ore miner. o_O

Reactions: LordPINE

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot more mods available at this time (not counting thaumcraft, as it's still beta) that are not in here that could be in here. There is nothing for magic based mods (hello Astral Sorcery/Botania) and the most basic of basic mods listed.

FTB modpacks have a set of mods that they can't seem to look past. Yes the classics are fine, but damn folks, there is soo much more now...

I agree but I would argue that Botania IS one of the "set of mods that they can't seem to look past" and is a crutch for a lot of people. Having to plat without it forces you to rethink your stratagem. Much like not being able to craft tools in the normal crafting bench, other than wooden ones that die after 2 uses. It's a different angle to making a pack thought evoking.

But why the Quarry card when you already have the Tier 6 void ore miner.

Speed I would assume. 100% imbued RFTools Builder can run at insane speeds and collect material far faster than the T6 Ore Miner. Used more power sure but by the time I get to that level I am looking for sinks to dump excess power from my systems.