All Becomes Grey [SIGNUP AND OOC THREAD] [ROLEPLAY] [POSSIBLE MATURE CONTENT]

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Wait, what?

Let's run this through.

Markus has 4 health.

He uses Living Pain, buffing his health by 2.

He now has 6 health.

He takes two damage during the buff.

He now has 4 health.

The buff ends, removing the +2 to his health.

He has 2 health - exactly the same as if he never used the buff.

The only utility currently is if he's on low health it might buy one more turn in which he could be healed, but other than that it is quite literally a waste of a turn and of MgS.
Yeah, I meant he would only lose the health he gained, if he had already lost it there would be no change.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
An updated character sheet:

Name: Markus Tresstia
Magiks:Lighting
Appearance (picture or description):
image.jpeg

Personality:
"Why are you trying to label me with useless things like personality when I can be studying the arcane and finding the path to ultimate power. Unless you can help me, then I'm a hardworking, intelligent person who will stop at nothing to get my goals." That is what he would say, but my commentary includes him being proud and greedy, wanting to merge with an endless source of power, which he thinks can be achieved using lighting magik.
Backstory (You've always lived in Pert):
He was born to a family of traders, with and older sister. She was 15 at the time, and married of to some mercenary. He was too young to know her at the time. When he was 6, the first weird thing happened to him. He was angry his mother wouldn't let him stay up late. He grew angry, and out of the blue,lightning struck her garden. When he was 8, he first began studying Lightning Magik. He was 11 when his younger sister was born. His mother seem sad from that day on. When asked about it, she said she paid a price for the youngest. All Matkus wanted to do was help. He even stopped studying to try an cheer her up. Nothing worked, and his mother killed herself. A year later, his house was broken into by gobbles. In order to silence his crying sister he covered her with a pillow. She suffocated. His father blamed him, disowned him, and kicked him out. A old sympathetic lightning Mage took him in, and Markus restarted his lightning magik training. He studied for 7 more years before his master died. That was the day he learned how to avoid death and pain. He had to join with raw magik, become magik, and become a god
Equipment:
A book on arcane relics, some simple robes, a steel dagger, and a mid-sized house
Stats (30 total):

Health:6
Armour:3
Agility:4
Strength:2
Accuracy:3
Magical skill:7
Magical defence:5

Magical abilities (3 total):
Living pain

for one rounds, gain +2 on health, but loses 2 magik skill. The health gained is used up first

Storm of Agony

A Magic skill based attack

Apoptosis

For two round, His magical defense takes over for his armour

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Name: Markus Tresstia
Magik: Lighting
Appearance (picture or description):
View attachment 33776
Personality:
"Why are you trying to label me with such useless things as personality, when I can be studying the arcane and finding the path to ultimate power. It's irrelevant, unless you can help me, in which case I'm a hardworking, intelligent person who will stop at nothing to achieve my goals." Is what he would say, but my commentary includes him being proud and greedy, wanting to merge with an endless source of power, which he believes can be achieved using lighting magik.
Backstory:
Markus was born to a family of traders with an older sister. She was 15 at the time, and married off to a mercenary. Markus was too young then to remember her. When he was 6, the first strange thing happened to him. He was angry his mother wouldn't let him stay up late, and, out of the blue, lightning struck her garden. When he was 8, he first began studying Lightning Magik. At the age of 11, his younger sister was born. From that day on, his mother seemed sad. When asked about it, she said that she had paid a price for the youngest. All Markus wanted to do was help. He even stopped studying to try to cheer her up. Nothing worked, and eventually, his mother committed suicide. A year later, his house was broken into by gobbles. In order to silence his crying sister, he covered her with a pillow, smothering her accidentally. His father blamed him, disowned him, then kicked him out. An old, sympathetic lightning mage took him in, and Markus restarted his lightning magik training. He studied for 7 more years before his master died. That day, he learned how to avoid death and pain. He had to join with raw magik and become a god.
Equipment:
A book on arcane relics, some simple robes, a steel dagger, and a mid-sized house
Stats (30 total):

Health:6
Armour:3
Agility:4
Strength:2
Accuracy:3
Magical skill:7
Magical defence:5

Magical abilities (3 total):
Living pain

For three rounds, gain +2 on health, but lose 2 magik skill. The health gained is lost if not already lost after the effect ends. Three turn cooldown.

Storm of Agony

Magik attack.

Apoptosis

For two rounds, armour becomes equal to magik defence.

Above is a version of your character @MrMonsterGuy18 . I have tidied up the sheet a little for you by correcting some mistakes and changing some phrasing. Hopefully the meaning should remain the same. If this sheet is fine for you, you're accepted!

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Is it just me or is there a problem with Apoptosis? If I understand how rounds work correctly, he'd be as such when against an armour-attacking character:
1: Use apoptosis, apoptosis is active (2)
2: Something else, apoptosis is active (1)
3: Use apoptosis, apoptosis is active (2)
4: Something else, apoptosis is active (1)

And so on and so forth. Maybe this is balanced, but it does seem wrong to me either way. Markus is sacrificing half of his turns for a +2 armour buff, which seems kind of pitiful when characters can sacrifice one in four of their turns for three turns of +3 to a stat and one turn of downtime.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Is it just me or is there a problem with Apoptosis? If I understand how rounds work correctly, he'd be as such when against an armour-attacking character:

And so on and so forth. Maybe this is balanced, but it does seem wrong to me either way. Markus is sacrificing half of his turns for a +2 armour buff, which seems kind of pitiful when characters can sacrifice one in four of their turns for three turns of +3 to a stat and one turn of downtime.
I'd say that that is more of a problem with his stats then. If he put more into magic resistance and less into armor the effect would be greater.

Having said that, 2 turns may indeed be a little bit weak but it also depends on the cooldown. If the cooldown is low enough to never have a moment without the buff I think the ability itself is fine. You then just need to worry about how much risk with silences and turn order vs reward from said ability you are willing to take and lay out the stats of your character accordingly.

If he doesn't care about that he can spend all his points that are currently in armor in something else which means he has always +7 total stats.
However, if he instead spends those points on magic resistance he suddenly has +10 extra total stats instead and this increases for every point he puts into magic resistance. I would say that that can be a very powerful but risky ability depending on the rest of the stat build and the other abilities the character has.

I say risky because if he ever gets unable to use his ability he is at 0 resistance and is thus VERY open to basic/physical attacks

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place

For now, I'll put it to 3 turns. @triggerfinger12 have you considered the changes suggested? I'd like to carry on with the RP ASAP.

Reactions: MrMonsterGuy18

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Abilities changed, included the ability I mentioned above
Melt away: Can become a shadow and is invisible for the duration of the ability. Gains +2 Strength or Magikal ability buff on exit. Lasts two turns. Cooldown for three.

Devour: Magik attack. Creates a monster of shadow that can attack multiple enemies and/or has increased damage than Consume. Two turn cooldown.

Consume: Magik attack, shoots a ball of shadow that, after hitting something, sucks up light and life in the immediate area, similar to a black hole. No cooldown.

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Melt away: Become invisible, making all other characters unable to manually target the user of the ability for the duration of the ability. This effect is cancelled upon use of any ability or when the user performs a normal attack. Upon being cancelled in this way, the user gains +2 magik skill and strength for the ability just used. Duration of 3 turns. Cooldown of 4 turns.

Devour: Create a monster of shadow, performing three magik attacks distributed randomly between enemies before dissipating. Two turn cooldown.

Consume: Magik attack, shoots a ball of shadow that, after hitting something, sucks up light and life in the immediate area, similar to a black hole. No cooldown.

Are these mechanics fine for you?

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Yeah, that would be cool! Quick question, if we were to be fighting only one enemy, would all three attacks be targeted at that one person?