Agrarian Skies: a problem of trees not growing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
....or to be more precise, they don't appear to grow anywhere but in front of the house you start with, not too far away from the original patch of dirt.

This is early in AS. I extended the platform to the left when you walk out of the house at the same level as the original patch of dirt and planted a sapling on a patch of dirt on a 7x7 cobblestone platform with nothing else on it and a clear view of the sky. The sapling there didn't grow in all the time my other trees on the original patch of land went through five growth cycles. I can bonemeal the problematic tree, but it won't grow on its own.

Another problem: I thought the small space to the right of the original house would be a good place for a tree, removed some of the roof decoration to have a clear view of the sky and planted a rubber seed there. Not only won't the tree grow, but using bonemeal on it does nothing but make it switch between "sacred rubber tree sapling" and "rubber tree sapling". The same procedure used around the original patch of dirt works, rubber trees grow there and can be bonemealed as well. Also, no normal tree will grow on the right side of the house.

At the moment, this is a minor annoyance, but it will become crippling when I get into tree farming. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:
And while I'm at it: this fishing quest is driving me crazy? I have a fishing rod and a 2x2 pond, now how the hell do I get fish? Throwing the hook appears to make it float above the water, even if I aim right. I'm not even sure that I do actually. Do I need to create a giant pool?

Last edited:

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
pics?

trees need space or they won't grow

you can stand in the pool and toss the hook straight up to let it land in the water, very nice early game food while you are waiting for your trees to grow and you have chosen the pan

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
pics?

trees need space or they won't grow
I said the sapling sits on a 7x7 cobble platform (a patch of dirt at the center of course) with nothing else on it and a clear view of the sky. Space should definitely not be the problem here. Regarding the tree near the house, I placed the sapling so that a 7x7 square would be free of anything else. That was always enough elsewhere. It actually isn't necessary (I had an SSP world with a Steve's Carts tree farm using a much closer spacing) but I did it just in case.

you can stand in the pool and toss the hook straight up to let it land in the water, very nice early game food while you are waiting for your trees to grow and you have chosen the pan
I just need the one fish for the quest. Unless the AS gods are evil, I'll never have to touch a fishing rod again after that. IIRC there's some quest requiring fish somewhere down the line, but at that point I'll have fishing automated.

BTW, I wonder: do the fighting pans double as cooking equipment? That would be hilarious.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
trees also need light to grow, they won't grow during the night unless you have a light source nearby

shift rightclick the pan on the ground and you have 8 slots for cooking (no output slot so you best keep a slot open)

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
You can fish in a 1x1 water source if you fish straight up and let it land in it

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
trees also need light to grow, they won't grow during the night unless you have a light source nearby

shift rightclick the pan on the ground and you have 8 slots for cooking (no output slot so you best keep a slot open)
pams harvestcraft changes it so that crops and trees only grow in sunlight

Rowena_Lee

Jul 29, 2019
I finally tried using the F3 to check the Biome. My rubber tree did not like being planted on a Plain. I moved it to the Jungle biome (which is 20+ blocks off the back of the island) and it grew just fine. None of my trees like to row in the River Biome. I cannot get the Papaya tree to grow anywhere. Hope this helps some.

If anyone has a Papaya growing, can you tell me the biome?