Age of Engineering Expansion

C

Closet Gamer

Hello everyone, I'm currently playing through Age of Engineering and loving it so far.

I suggested an idea during my lets play in jest, however the more I think about it, the more I think it could add an interesting aspect to AoE.

So the premise is based on how the game Factorio functions in that, as you advance through technology and create more pollution the local population of creatures (disgusted that you are polluting their land) become more aggressive and stronger forcing the player to invest in defences, turrets, armour and weapons. By adding something like Mo Creatures to the mod pack, you could add the mobs, however I'm not sure if the aggression could be linked to the players progression through the ages or if certain factors (such as favouring greener energy power production methods) could be linked to the way that the creatures behave.

So, three questions.
Within the current limitations is this even possible?
What do you think?
Would you play an expansion like this if I were to begin development?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm currently playing through Age of Engineering and loving it so far.

I suggested an idea during my lets play in jest, however the more I think about it, the more I think it could add an interesting aspect to AoE.

So the premise is based on how the game Factorio functions in that, as you advance through technology and create more pollution the local population of creatures (disgusted that you are polluting their land) become more aggressive and stronger forcing the player to invest in defences, turrets, armour and weapons. By adding something like Mo Creatures to the mod pack, you could add the mobs, however I'm not sure if the aggression could be linked to the players progression through the ages or if certain factors (such as favouring greener energy power production methods) could be linked to the way that the creatures behave.

So, three questions.
Within the current limitations is this even possible?
What do you think?
Would you play an expansion like this if I were to begin development?

Thanks!

I think this is a really interesting idea! It would certainly add a level of depth that isn't there currently, and could make for interesting packs in general! Perhaps if you start using quarries, you might get "things from the deep" occurring, or in the case of the void ore/resource miner, perhaps some sort of void creatures start coming up. I know that in Invasion there was a mod which had Raid Difficulty increases; I don't know if they were time based or progression based, but they just made mobs harder and have more abilities, rather than specific mobs spawning, so I don't know.

With everything I know of right now, I don't know if its possible to trigger things with different ages or things built like that, but I do like it. I'm not sure whether the version of Immersive Engineering in AoE has this stuff, but I know that IE adds things like razor wire (that can be electrified), turrets and tesla coils - plus Open Modular Turrets is also available for AoE. It would transform it from a tech-based progression pack to a "survive and thrive" pack, but that's pretty neat.

C

Closet Gamer

That sounds promissing then, I might do some digging and figure out the trigger mechanisms for other mods involving the environment. I love the idea about the "things from the deep", it triggered another idea for age related bosses - perhaps a "we dug too deep lads" Balrog. Each boss could contain loot that unlocks a key component for the next age... Thanks a lot for the reply :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame