After a long day of mining...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
So, considering the where I'm mining is a giant maze, it's not surprising that I always get lost, and so I want to ask the good people of the forums: what ways are there to get back home quickly? I'm mostly looking for early-mid game ways.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
If you know the coordinates of your base, follow those. Even if you do not know the coords, if you can get to your base from spawn just go to around 0:0 and go from there.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So, considering the where I'm mining is a giant maze, it's not surprising that I always get lost, and so I want to ask the good people of the forums: what ways are there to get back home quickly? I'm mostly looking for early-mid game ways.
I do early game branch mining very methodically.

I dig either a stairway or ladder shaft all the way down. This will form the center of all my branches. At a given Y-level I then dig out a tunnel going N-S for example. And from this tunnel I dig side tunnels off to the sides (E-W in this example) with 2 blocks gaps between them.

Now the important trick on how to navigate these tunnels quickly: I always place torches on the right side of the tunnels as I dig them radiating away from the entrance/exit. This way I can always just make sure to have torches on my left side and it will take me back to the stairway/ladder leading back up. Also three torches next to each other horizontally means Lava behind blocks, three torches above each other means there is a difficult to spot exit there(used when mining through natural caves etc.).

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I do early game branch mining very methodically.

I dig either a stairway or ladder shaft all the way down. This will form the center of all my branches. At a given Y-level I then dig out a tunnel going N-S for example. And from this tunnel I dig side tunnels off to the sides (E-W in this example) with 2 blocks gaps between them.

Now the important trick on how to navigate these tunnels quickly: I always place torches on the right side of the tunnels as I dig them radiating away from the entrance/exit. This way I can always just make sure to have torches on my left side and it will take me back to the stairway/ladder leading back up. Also three torches next to each other horizontally means Lava behind blocks, three torches above each other means there is a difficult to spot exit there(used when mining through natural caves etc.).
I mine very similarly, but with a Tinkers' Construct Hammer so all of my tunnels are 3x3. Typically, for lava, I just block it up with cobble and place a torch on it. All my torches are on the floor and eight blocks apart, though I could put them up to 12 blocks apart but I run on minimum smooth lighting setting and I don't like dark spots.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
Use the same method as rhn, torches on the right as I go. So when I need to go back I make sure to always keep torches on the left. On common intersections I will put down three torches in a row on the ground in the direction towards the base. I know I should put them on the wall in case of water flowing in but by now it is just second nature.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
There is always the old fashioned way of placing torches only to your right, so that to get back you go where the torches would be on your left...

Reactions: asb3pe

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Cunning use of signs.

I branch mine but I have periodic open areas.

So a room one chunk wide, 5 blocks high by however-many chunks long (it grows longer as I mine more) with 3x3 shafts (TiCo hammer seperated by 2 blocks each coming off the side.

I repeat this pattern to each side, so the 3x3 shafts connect to another chunk-wide cavern.

The chunks are then labelled according to a square grid pattern, starting at 0,0 for the one containing the stairway to heaven my base. This then extends in a matrix where I increment it 1 for north or east and decrement it by one for south or west.

If I get lost in the vast extent of a branch mine, I can just find the nearest sign and it'll direct me back to 0,0 :)

Reactions: Psychicash

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Torches on left around junctions; when you hit a junction take the higher path (or if both are level take the left branch).
Block off the other tunnel to keep mobs out. (normally a row of cobble at head height is enough)
When you hit a dead end and backtrack- vertical column of cobble so you know its dead.​

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, for the suggestions, although they weren't exactly what I had in mind. I wanted to get some tips on what I can use to get home from mining quickly, and not how to get out of a maze, because my problem is that it takes ages to get home, even if I know exactly which way to go or I mine straight home. I was expecting some early-mid game technology or magic to get back home easily. I should mention I'm using the DW20 pack (although I did disable most decoration mods, withcery, and pneumatic craft)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks, for the suggestions, although they weren't exactly what I had in mind. I wanted to get some tips on what I can use to get home from mining quickly, and not how to get out of a maze, because my problem is that it takes ages to get home, even if I know exactly which way to go or I mine straight home. I was expecting some early-mid game technology or magic to get back home easily. I should mention I'm using the DW20 pack (although I did disable most decoration mods, withcery, and pneumatic craft)
How far away do you actually go to mine? From using the above mentioned method it takes me something like 30 secs-1 minute max. to get back to the heart of my base. It is literally just backing out of my current branch mining tunnel, walk down the main corridor and up the ladder and I am right back inside my base.

But if you prefer going further away then you can with relative simple means set up an Intra Linking book on a Book stand from Mystcraft in a central point and use it to teleport back and forth.

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
How far away do you actually go to mine? From using the above mentioned method it takes me something like 30 secs-1 minute max. to get back to the heart of my base. It is literally just backing out of my current branch mining tunnel, walk down the main corridor and up the ladder and I am right back inside my base.

But if you prefer going further away then you can with relative simple means set up an Intra Linking book on a Book stand from Mystcraft in a central point and use it to teleport back and forth.
It's totally random. I don't stripmine or anything, I found a mineshaft underground and I'm still exploring that because everytime I go down I end up in places where I've never been before. The linking book thing sounds good, but I'm not exactly sure how to make an intra linking book, and a folloing one at that (because I don't want to just leave it where I want to teleport back from)

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Cunning use of signs.

I branch mine but I have periodic open areas.

So a room one chunk wide, 5 blocks high by however-many chunks long (it grows longer as I mine more) with 3x3 shafts (TiCo hammer seperated by 2 blocks each coming off the side.

I repeat this pattern to each side, so the 3x3 shafts connect to another chunk-wide cavern.

The chunks are then labelled according to a square grid pattern, starting at 0,0 for the one containing the stairway to heaven my base. This then extends in a matrix where I increment it 1 for north or east and decrement it by one for south or west.

If I get lost in the vast extent of a branch mine, I can just find the nearest sign and it'll direct me back to 0,0 :)

I'm sure Colin would approve ;)

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Staircase down to 11 from the middle of my hole in the ground, 3x3 branch left and right 1x3 corridors coming off that with 2 blocks in between. As soon as I hit lava/water/gravel/cave that corridor is finished and I go across to the next one.

I HATE manual mining so I get a quarry down as soon as I can. And I never spelunk, it's against my religious beliefs.

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions, but this is not what I'm looking for. I'm not going to make a new mine, I have a pregenerated mineshaft that I explore sometimes intersecting with caves and ravines, and I wanted to find a to quickly get back home either with a teleport or something similar.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions, but this is not what I'm looking for. I'm not going to make a new mine, I have a pregenerated mineshaft that I explore sometimes intersecting with caves and ravines, and I wanted to find a to quickly get back home either with a teleport or something similar.

Haha my bad that's what you get for skimming the replies and not properly reading he OP.

Railcraft Trackmans Goggles will let you trace your own heat signature(basically where you've walked) back if that will work

Reactions: Padfoote

Fuzzbling

Jul 29, 2019
USA

Your only way in the DW20 mod pack for instant long distance travel to a set location from a random one (aka you walked there and now want to get home asap) is to use the Mystcraft Link Books. Set yourself up a hub in the Nether an always carry a a few books around with you. FYI, you can use a link book with out putting it on a pedestal, but it will drop to the ground and eventually decay (despawn).

If you play on a server, there may be Cauldron or Forge Essentials installed by the owner. These can be setup to allow for instant teleport to set locations (/home or /spawn for example).

Unit88

Jul 29, 2019
Haha my bad that's what you get for skimming the replies and not properly reading he OP.

Railcraft Trackmans Goggles will let you trace your own heat signature(basically where you've walked) back if that will work
Oh, this sounds good. Not exactly a teleport, but I don't think I'm at a technological level where that would be possible so this will be enough. I'll try to look into the Intra Linking books but in the meantime this'll be enough.

Reactions: Padfoote